View Poll Results: Did you go premium?

Voters
127. This poll is closed
  • Hell yeah, the site deserves support!

27 21.26%
  • Nah man, that's like 3 burritos a year! Fuck web developers!

100 78.74%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I already pay them by giving them my traffic and quality forum posts.

This website is reaching meme level.

I'm constantly being bombarded with stupid adds and silly images telling me to give the website money in the most obnoxious way possible. Some jungle ape had the amazing idea to bombard his users with adds asking for money..

If you go that way, actually force people to pay to access your website, don't make their experience miserable unless they pay you.. that's just pathetic.
    Last edited by tikcol; 2017-11-23 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Which is immune to adblock
    You can just right click the banner and add it to your adblock.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    If it gets more features I'll pay, as it stands I don't see the point. Something similar to what other sites have like custom borders and colored name tags.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    You can just right click the banner and add it to your adblock.
    Or, get Stylebot and customize the HTML elements in whatever way you like, including hiding them completely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Then again, as horrible as vBulletin is, looking like it's straight out of the 90s, somehow Reddit's software is even worse.
    Redit looks very plain, I'd prefer MMO-Champion over Redit.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Good points from r/wow users...

"This is the problem:

https://i.imgur.com/KX5ODTh.png

I don't really want to give personal information to a website that still doesn't have their HTTPS stuff together. It's not a good look, especially considering MMOs are specifically targeted for all kinds of data theft shenanigans. If they fixed this I'd honestly consider."

"This is the issue here. Websites whine about Adblock and want to fight the cause instead of the source of the problem. You know what makes people install Adblock? Popups; ads with auto playing sounds; ads that cover whole screen and can’t be turned off; fake highlights in the text of articles that are actually ads; malicious ads; phishing attempts; suspicious cookies.

I have nothing against being advertised to. In fact I like the model and will often click on stuff that are interesting to me. But the moment when you can’t be bothered with checking who, and most importantly, how (or maybe you know but just don’t care) is advertising trough your business – thus creating not only bad experience for me, but endangering my privacy - that’s the moment I will either leave, or will try to circumvent those ads. Especially since it’s so easy."

These are just a few of the 200 responses on the r/wow post - https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...champions_new/

Also, ads on mobile are absolutely horrid - Full screen intrusive ads that pop up and you can't go "back'. You literally have to exit that browser page, and reload MMO-Champ on a new tab.
    Last edited by Laqweeta; 2017-11-23 at 09:49 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    They don't provide content... What does premium even pay for? Bandwidth costs next to nothing, so does server hosting fees, etc... They still have ads up, which I don't/wouldn't click regardless.
    So there is absolutely zero reason for me to support them. Maybe if this was Blizzardwatch or another site that actually provides content I would consider it. But they don't, in fact most content provided here comes directly from forum posters and gets put on the front page. Maybe they should be paying us.
    This exactly. I'm not paying for something unless *I* get a benefit from it that I feel is worth the cost. "Removing inconvenience" is not a benefit. I don't owe anyone anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    There's this crazy new thing called Reddit. Perhaps you've heard of it? It's slightly bigger than mmo-champ.
    That's not a discussion forum, it is closer to twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    That's not a discussion forum, it is closer to twitter.
    What? xD Do you even use it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck em, no website deserves my charity
    Wrath baby and proud of it

The main reason I am active on MMOC is that the wow forums don't let you use them when you are unsubbed and I don't like getting limited access to a forum. While I wish MMOC the best, I have no intention of doing anything more than enduring their ads as a way of helping them with their money. I don't consider the privilege of shitposting important enough to be worth 9$ A YEAR. I'd be willing to make a one time donation but I am really not a fan of subscriptions, wow is the only one I have outside of insurances and such.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    They don't provide content... What does premium even pay for? Bandwidth costs next to nothing, so does server hosting fees, etc... They still have ads up, which I don't/wouldn't click regardless.
    So there is absolutely zero reason for me to support them. Maybe if this was Blizzardwatch or another site that actually provides content I would consider it. But they don't, in fact most content provided here comes directly from forum posters and gets put on the front page. Maybe they should be paying us.
    I can also kind of empathize with this sentiment. This discussion might have been a little different back when Boubouille was the active star, I suppose.

Idk man, almost 30k posts over 5 years, you don't feel like you've gotten your 9 bucks worth of entertainment? I totally get using an add blocker, but at some point it's not unreasonable to think you'd want to kick something back to the people providing you a service. To each their own, though! /shrug
    You can take part in discussion anywhere in life, without paying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Yeah, got the Premium as I said I would if a site offers the choice between a small fee and ads to finance themselves
    That's so sad. There are so many brilliant online creators around whom your bucks would mean so much to, not to much start-up projects and/or worthwhile charities. And you give your money to a parasitic site that likes to download malware and contributes nothing-and is owned by amazon. No one will ever know, no one will care, there will be no improvement in the site.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    That's so sad. There are so many brilliant online creators around whom your bucks would mean so much to, not to much start-up projects and/or worthwhile charities. And you give your money to a parasitic site that likes to download malware and contributes nothing-and is owned by amazon. No one will ever know, no one will care, there will be no improvement in the site.
    It's his money and this site is worth a lot to people. You may not think so but it does.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    but not immune to ublock it seems.
    (in case you were/are interested)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It's his money and this site is worth a lot to people. You may not think so but it does.
    It is a piece of poorly designed forum software, probably mostly plagiarized code, with ads on. It doesn't have a fucking soul.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been considering supporting... The problem is that none of the benefits really do much for me. I wouldn't mind access to different forum skins, especially if it stopped the site being stretched wide and was more centered. I hate wide view forum skins. Other than that I don't post much, though when I do it's rarely a meaninless junk post. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if my post count is the smallest number of the five years lol.

PC: (Case) Phanteks - Eclipse P300, (Power Supply) Apevia - 750W ATX, (Vid) MSI - Radeon RX 580, (HD) Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB, (SSD) Transcend - MTS600
    (RAM) Corsair - 8GB x2, (Motherboard) ASRock - AB350, (CPU) AMD - Ryzen 5 1400, (OS) W10

----------------
    WoW player, GW2 Dabbler and the Girl Who Went Chasing Owls.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Why would I ever give money to the site? Adblock is still free.
    Well - seems fair to pay for something that you get value out of. MMO-C isn't free, and I'm happy there is now an option to pay for something valuable to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would I pay for MMOC?
    27,277 <-- that's why.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

So now that we finally have the premium feature which so many people said would get them to stop blocking the site (and for a very reasonable price), how many of you put your money where your mouth is and pitched in?
    I never put my mouth anywhere, unless I'm eating it. Take that figuratively and use your imagination.

I use adblock because I don't trust this website. Everything from ads that make noise (no, no), to ads that deliver malware. Nope.

I won't pay for MMO-C (sorry) because of payment proliferation. Even if $0.99 cents seems reasonable here, it also seems reasonable there, and another place, and after a while I might as well just buy the damn internet.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.