Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What are some cancelled videogames/scrapped ideas you wish you could try?

Lots of folks play games as just a fun escape like tv shows or movies. But if you like games as more of a hardcore hobby it often leads to an interest in the history of videogames. This in turn leads to the fascinating archives of cancelled games. Plenty of sites like Unseen64 track down and document these projects. Things that might have been that starkly changed direction or simply things that got canned with nothing but a few industry meet up tales to describe it years later.
    If you like that kind of thing theres always a few that really stick with you as something you will never get to play -in most cases at least- but what stands out for you?

I'll always wonder about stuff like:

-The original Build of Valkyria Chronicles was a WW1 take on the Steambot Chronicles/Bumpy Trot games (that had their own cancelled PS3 sequel) with a more light hearted tone including 'kemono' animal people instead of Darcsens. Called 'Gallian Panzers' in the scant examples of artwork they saved some ideas which made it into Valkyria Revolution but the rest were brushed onto the cutting room floor.

-"Resident Evil 3.5" was a build of Resident Evil 4 that reached 60% completion before it was scrapped and use to make assetts for Devil May Cry. Originally RE4 was about Leon in a european castle in the black forests of germany, infected with a "P-Epsilon Virus" that was an animate black mist that could animate things like dolls or suits of armour and had a much more supernatural vibe. It was canned because it was 'too much like silent hill'. There has been a demo made by fans using RE4 to rebuild the bits in the trailer but RE could have taken a very different path if this was the release we got.

https://www.unseen64.net/2016/02/23/...ncelled-pitch/
    -Silent Hill Cold Heart was the original idea that was in the works that became Silent Hill Shattered Memories. Instead of a retelling of Silent Hill 1 Cold Heart was a none linear narrative about a young girl jumping between her psych evaluations/therapy and getting in an ambulance crash in the snowed in town of Silent Hill. I've always been a SH die hard and love wintery horror so this checks both points off for me. I liked SM a lot but i'll always take a new idea over a retread

-Tomb Raider Ascension. Before it was a bland uncharted clone the Tomb Raider reboot about Teen Lara was actually an open world survival horror game. Caught in a shipwreck a young lara has to survive on an island off the coast of china where WW2 experiments awoke a slumbering tomb of demons and oni. Including more survival aspects and fights inspired by shadow of the colossus with huge oni the game was a really interesting sounding title that got scrapped. Its why for no reason you get magical japanese and chinese enemies in the final act of the retail build because they ran out of time to replace it all.

Its just a few examples but i love these looks at cancelled games, they interest me as much as rebuilds like Doki Doki Panic becoming Super Mario Bros 2 or the Valkyrie Profile remake turning into Lightning Returns. Its a fascinating look at what might have been if the industry trends had leant one way instead of another.

Are there any of these that you wish we saw more of?
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2017-11-23 at 02:50 PM.

Starcraft ghost. Classic example.

The "first" concept of WoD.

Ya know? With the Mongrel Horde?

-_-

- - - Updated - - -

That, or the WoD they promised us during Blizzcon 2013. Cause, that would've been SO much better than what we got now.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was cancelled Star Wars game where you played as a bounty hunter. Supposed to be a dark and gritty first person action game, can't recall the title.

Fallout: Van Buren is another, although most of it got rolled into New Vegas

Honorable mention to games unknown that we would have if certain game studios never went down...Pandemic, Maxis...etc.

Titan MMO? Still curious to know what sort of game-play it had.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    I've actually played a bit of this one years ago when it was still in development. It was okay, though nothing really special. Granted, I only played the multiplayer, so I'm not sure how the single player experience (if there was one) was going to be. I only got about 30 minutes of hands on with the game though.

As for canceled games I'd like to try, I'm curious what project Titan would have played like. How close to the Overwatch we have today were the controls and concepts. I'm happy with Overwatch, so not disappointed that Titan was canceled. I'm more just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    Titan MMO? Still curious to know what sort of game-play it had.
    It was gonna be a Second Life -ish game with RPG depths for PvE and PvP in a Normal/Futuristic world, aka how some Overwatch areas are.

There is a reason it got scrapped, it was a terrible idea considering it took way too long to be created and that sort of game would never take off in the 2014+ era.

7+ Year Old Account
    Chapter II and III of Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain.

Mega Man Legends 3
    And Chrono Break even though we never really got much of any details into what it was, it was thought to be a sequel of Chrono Cross.

10+ Year Old Account
    Starcraft Ghost and Prince of Persia: Assassins, which was the progenitor of the Assassin's Creed games.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    STALKER 2. Little information on it other than "it existed", but the Stalker series were dope as fuck, and anything cheeki breeki would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    STALKER 2. Little information on it other than "it existed", but the Stalker series were dope as fuck, and anything cheeki breeki would be great.
    Who doesnt want another nice walk through the woods.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Who doesnt want another nice walk through the woods.
    PAPALI PAPALI SUKE

fuck duty

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    first thought

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    I've actually played a bit of this one years ago when it was still in development. It was okay, though nothing really special. Granted, I only played the multiplayer, so I'm not sure how the single player experience (if there was one) was going to be. I only got about 30 minutes of hands on with the game though.

As for canceled games I'd like to try, I'm curious what project Titan would have played like. How close to the Overwatch we have today were the controls and concepts. I'm happy with Overwatch, so not disappointed that Titan was canceled. I'm more just curious.
    elaboration required. where and when did u get to play it ? does your uncle work for blizzard ? im surprised u didnt get a chance to try titan
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Prey 2 looked interesting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    PAPALI PAPALI SUKE

fuck duty
    Indeed who would ever join Duty when you can go be a hippy and smoke pot while on patrol with Freedom?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Prey 2 looked interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Starcraft Ghost.
    Yes and Yes
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mass Effect Andromeda, specifically the more original concepts with hand crafted experiences and interactions before they started trying to figure out how to procedurally generate dozens of world and wasted 2 years of time and budget before giving us the remains.

The alternate script for Mass Effect, where dark energy (mentioned in Mass Effect 2) played a big part of the story and it's ending.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    first thought

- - - Updated - - -

elaboration required. where and when did u get to play it ? does your uncle work for blizzard ? im surprised u didnt get a chance to try titan

I don’t remember the specific year, but I worked in management for Gamestop in the early 2000s. I flew out for one of their conferences in Texas and while I was out there, Vivendi and some guys from Blizzard were there showing off their upcoming products. Starcract Ghost was one of them. The other one I remember trying was F.E.A.R.
    Last edited by Aoyi; 2017-11-23 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    I don’t remember the specific year, but I worked in management for Gamestop in the early 2000s. I flew out for one of their conferences in Texas and while I was out there, Vivendi and some guys from Blizzard were there showing off their upcoming products. Starcract Ghost was one of them. The other one I remember trying was F.E.A.R.
    Man, no wonder they canned it if it was being shown next to F.E.A.R. Even today that games still unmatched in some of its mechanics.