Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Britain left EU not Europe
    The people who voted for a brexit do not make a difference between that, hence the plenty verbal attacks against other nations and their citizens.

You voted for isolation can't act surprised now that you'll become isolated from other events, does not seem petty to me at all. Why would an event take place in the UK that is about promoting something from Europe when the UK decides to distance themselves from all things Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Erm... are you sure you're replying to the right person?

What I meant was that if they were going to exclude us from the event they should have let us know before our cities started wasting money and time on it.
    But you were the ones who got to decide if you wanted to meet the requirements, not the EU.
    And the UK has still not made it clear what they want out of Brexit.
    The EU gave the UK as much time to come to a decision on this matter as it could, but now it needs to find an alternate host who then needs some time to choose a city.
    The EU gace the UK a lot of leniency in this matter but now time is apparently up.

Britain left EU not Europe
    Sounds like something they should have thought about before literally leaving the Union of Europe.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Unless they gather all their courage and cancel the silly attempt aka "Exit from Brexit"
    I would not want my country to accept that, and even if they did get accepted back then it would still be too late to switch this back.
    The next host needs some time to choose a city and prepare and will invest even more money due to the short notice.
    Potentially switching back to the UK again after that would be extremely unfair to a country that--unlike the UK--wouldn't have caused this(unless you count not vetoing taking back the UK as "causing this").

Brexiteers trying to have it both ways, news at 11.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    At this rate the UK will be a third world country before Brexit is finalized.
    Race between the UK and Sweden then http://speisa.com/modules/articles/i...ing-to-un.html

None of the responsibilities and none of the benefits.
    The choice was made and this is one of the things that has changed.
    While I agree that this was handled badly by the organisers part, technically they are right.
    Also, I am pretty sure other such losses will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    Race between the UK and Sweden then http://speisa.com/modules/articles/i...ing-to-un.html
    According to Speisa... which says everything you need to know about that claim.

Deleted
    This entire thing is a joke anyway, a reminder that Glasgow was city of culture in 1990, the same city that is currently the heroine capital of the EU.

When did Britain say they will also stay off the EEA ? They were eligible to host the event prior to such statement, that much is true.
    The day they refused the ECJ's authority.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    sorry, UK excluded itself some time ago.
    Isn’t Norway able to partake in this event? They’re not in the EU.

They should have made it clear that the UK was excluded instead of waiting over a year.

Personally I don’t care, but the people who did have already thrown their money at this stupid event.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Also, I am pretty sure other such losses will follow.
    Like EMA and EBA moving from London to Amsterdam and Paris?

Should have told people earlier. Don’t care much myself, silly events.
    But it's not until 2023, and Britain hasn't even gotten its shit together for Brexit yet.

Well regarding this example I don't really have a horse in the race... but it does seem silly to fuel anti-EU sentiment further with this especially considering the amount of money the cities already spent. Should've announced this in 2016
    The UK hadn't even invoked Article 50 yet in 2016.

I don't know it seems very weak... We have known BREXIT will happen for a long time now. I can't help feel the decision is more out of malice than much else at this point
    I would actually say that it's still not a certain thing.

How very democratic
    You think it's undemocratic for you to vote to leave something and then no longer get special treatment as a result?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

They should have made it clear that the UK was excluded instead of waiting over a year.

Personally I don’t care, but the people who did have already thrown their money at this stupid event.
    Norway is in the EEA.

They are not member states but they are part of EFTA. This means they are basically accepting all regulations, all free movements ( people, goods, services and capitals) and pay a contribution to the EU. They just don't have any voting right.
    I guess a year ago there was hope the UK would change their mind or quietly become an EFTA member. It is now clear this is not happening

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    My own company had to stop trading with the UK for supplies. We get our stuff from Germany now. And I know other companies in the area are doing exactly the same thing.

I also had to sell some of the properties I held in the UK because the uncertainty is just not something I want to deal with, let alone the extra hurdles I'd have to jump through just to visit my own estates.

It's like there are massive economic boycotts happening against the UK - more massive than anything Russia ever had to suffer, yet none of this was imposed by government. It's just the free market and europeans not wanting to deal with the hassle of an uncertain future.

At this rate the UK will be a third world country before Brexit is finalized.
    UK companies are virtually excluded from all EU public tenders now considering the uncertainty. I can imagine private companies do not want to commit either.
    Now saying the UK will be a third world country is nonsense, but uncertainty really does quite some harm, and Brexit hasn't occured yet.
    Last edited by Demolitia; 2017-11-23 at 11:06 PM.

When you're wanting out of EU, you don't get to represent it, that should be a pretty logical outcome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If they want to give me a job that pays over 40k a year, I'd maybe consider it. Otherwise I'll stick to Germany. I'm not moving back to the UK to sit on the dole or work some zero-hours minimum wage bullshit job.
    40k in london is not a lot these days

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadhak View Post
    Maybe it's time to get the north to join the Republic? Not sure why people in N. Ireland have not clamored for this already....
    Can all of the major cities that voted in go with them?

Manchester, Bristol, Liverpool, London, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow.
    Liverpool and London were 58.2% and 59.9% remain respectively, all the others were above 60. Edinburgh was 74% remain.

Leeds was remain at 50.3, but fuck Leeds tbh, they can keep it.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    40k in london is not a lot these days
    I've heard there are cities other than London in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Destump View Post
    Britain did not betray europe. The EU is betraying europe. Chiseling away national sovereignty, Making decisions that most of the european citizens do NOT agree with, and bullying anyone who doesn't follow them like a dog.

Those evil UK citizens, how dare they want to decide their own future and lives! They should just shut up and do what mutti merkel says! Sigh...
    At least there seems to be agreement that Britain and Europe are basically enemies for a while. The quicker Brexit happens, the better for both as they will be able to more quickly replace Britain-Europe relationships by relationships with other countries.

This seems to be a fairly amicable divorce between 2 entities that are just not meant to be together. I don't see this news here as a "bombshell" - it is just one more cord that needs to be cut as both countries go their separate ways.