Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I like questing when friends aren't online, so that's more or less my go to method outside of dungeon leveling. I can't just sit and kill mobs only. Plus, you have to remember that there are quite a few quests chains that unlock other quest chains with weird relation and are tied to each other spanning zones & level differences.

Edit:

Remember, save some of those quest reward items that have +elemental resists on them. They'll come in handy later on and it might be a real pita to get items restored later on.
    Last edited by evogsr; 2017-11-23 at 05:24 PM.

dungeon farming i think has always given the best exp gain for time spent, the trick is having 4 other ppl to chain run dungeons with.

if i were levelling again it would be quests to 15-16 then deadmines till 20/21/22 then questing till 30, uldaman farming/stv till 40, maraudon farming till 45/ quest 50/ sunken temple farming till 52-53/ BRD - farm that till 56/ lbrs/dire maul east/west/ 58 dm north tribute/ ubrs strat scholo> 60.

Lol what happened to wanting to play classic to relive the good ol days when leveling had meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Dude, it has nothing to do with hardware capabilities. The game is just not built to support so many people online. The original vanilla realm caps were as low as 2.5k people online before queue. It's cancer enough to try and quest on Lightbringer / Nost with 8k people online, 25k? You would never even get to a mob before it vanishes into a shiny pile of loot.
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they actually sharded/phased realms on launch to stop it causing issues, as it'll cause more issues later when all but 3 [one of each PvE/PvP/RP (even the RP will likely die)] of those realms die. That way they can easily keep the number of realms down to a minimum and not have people crying for transfers/merges in a couple of months time when the masses realise they have to grind for everything and haven't got the time to do so.

It will largely depend on how they decide to do with the servers. If they have the sharding tech they currently use on live (and I hope they don't because it will seriously deteriorate from the Vanilla experience), just questing will be by far your fastest option to level. If they cram all players into the same place with the same starting quests in each zone, your best bet is to form a group of friends, get out of that overflowed starting zone, and begin killing some lvl 5+ mobs for experience. In some cases it will also be a viable option for the first 4 levels to level up through exploration experience, after which you start questing/grinding, depending on how far you've broken ahead from the pack.

You also need to pick the right class if you really wanna aim for being one of the faster levelers on the server. Hunter or Warlock being the best choices for this. If you wanna be fast with say, a Warrior, it ain't gonna happen unless you have a leveling buddy, preferably a priest, with you the entire way. Questing will net you really good experience once you're the only one doing them, but some areas are really good for just mob grinding. It's something you'll have to map out somehow to really be competitive.
    Last edited by Whiskra; 2017-11-23 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymoo View Post
    Lol what happened to wanting to play classic to relive the good ol days when leveling had meaning?
    well it had meaning in the sense that it taught you how to play your class what spells and abilites you had and slowly introduced those aspects over the course of the levelling process, its unlikely that it'll have the same meaning when you already know what your abilities do, so its tutorial elements are wasted on those who aren't really going to learn anything new from it. there is nothing wrong with taking the slow methodical approach but some ppl just want to get into the meat and don't really care much for vegetables.

power levelling for me was a side effect of enjoying levelling through dungeon farming, i ran dungeons almost exclusively, it levels you fast but, it was more fun to level that way as a healer imo. mainly because you get to play your role as it was intended.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-11-23 at 05:32 PM.

Four days twenty hours may be the fastest time recorded, but that's also beyond poopsocking tier.
    Realistically it will take most people well over a week even if they're spending most of their free time playing it unless they're NEETs.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbusg View Post
    Four days twenty hours may be the fastest time recorded, but that's also beyond poopsocking tier.
    Realistically it will take most people well over a week even if they're spending most of their free time playing it unless they're NEETs.
    4days20hours is /played time. You could do that over a few weeks if you wanted to, so it's not really "poopsocking" in that sense. Doing it in 4days20h of REAL time would definitely be, however.

Joana's Guide v1.06 for Horde and Brian Kopp's Guide for Alliance. Both can be found online free of charge.

But do note this - rushing to cap in Vanilla isn't wise, follow the guide, definitely, but take your time or
    you WILL get burnt out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymoo View Post
    You're always going to have people that want hit cap asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    dungeon farming i think has always given the best exp gain for time spent, the trick is having 4 other ppl to chain run dungeons with.

if i were levelling again it would be quests to 15-16 then deadmines till 20/21/22 then questing till 30, uldaman farming/stv till 40, maraudon farming till 45/ quest 50/ sunken temple farming till 52-53/ BRD - farm that till 56/ lbrs/dire maul east/west/ 58 dm north tribute/ ubrs strat scholo> 60.
    You dont simply 5 man strat/scholo/ubrs with non 60s, I have no doubt that it can be done with a good setup and decent players but it sure as hell won't be efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskra View Post
    If they have the sharding tech they currently use on live (and I hope they don't because it will seriously deteriorate from the Vanilla experience), just questing will be by far your fastest option to level.
    Generally I agree with your stance on sharding, but even so I believe it would be a must for release week.

Quote Originally Posted by Edc View Post
    You dont simply 5 man strat/scholo/ubrs with non 60s, I have no doubt that it can be done with a good setup and decent players but it sure as hell won't be efficient.
    58-59 was fine i'm sure of it, might help if the tank is already 60, the cool part about going the dungeon farming route is that most ppl end up with gear that lets them handle the next set of dungeons without much trouble. if you've got the gear for it, so long as you don't pull aggro is pretty much a no brainer. efficiency doesn't matter when the first goal is to reach 60. then you can try to be efficient if you want but at the end of the day you go as fast as you can go, its not like the content is going anywhere. and you have basically eternity to farm 3 dungeons might as well enjoy them before they become steam rollable. i remember this is what i did, i levelled up healing those dungeons, i might have dinged 60 out questing but i think the first time i did stratholme with my hunter pre-dungeon size nerf he was only 56-7, but then 15ppl in a 5 man did make it kinda easy, was the same for ubrs and scholo as well though for a little while, then when they became actual 5 mans, it was harder but not to the point that you couldn't still go there at 58-59. I don't think my priest was 60 before i went to all the dungeons tbh, pretty sure i ran most of them before i hit 60, most of the mobs in lbrs are like 58-59 max, its only like the boss mobs that are 60. theres a ton of exp running that place.

If you really wanna push it, then avoid dungeons* and long questchains pretty much. If you run out of quests in a zone, but already have half a level and you know that next level you'll get new quests, then grind.

* they give pretty much no XP, except for the dungeon quests. But its not worth collecting all the quests for these dungeons if you wanna level fast, except for ZF.
    There is this trick though where you can go to the Deadmines with a Paladin and a Mage and they basically pull the whole dungeon and AOE it down for you, but its kinda tricky.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2017-11-23 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edc View Post
    Up until patch 1.3 or 1.4, I can't exactly remember - all of the 5 man dungeons were actually raid enabled. It was never considered an exploit by Blizzard, but people sure did exploit it for the easy loot & exp at the 50 range. I know I was regularly running it with 9 other people.

I know that's not what you're saying, but it was being done and people were benefiting pre60. This one be one of those things that happens again if Classic follows the vanilla release schedule.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember exactly the amount of time it took each step. Being in EU the game released on a friday which was also a regular school day. So I hit like level 18 the first day, can't remember how high I got before school. Then I hit 27 the second day and maybe 42 on Sunday since I know I talked about being level 42 on the Monday. Week after that I was at 52 and my interest for the game crashed for some reason and I was stuck in Un'goro alone. I started playing console a lot since I had Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II on Gamecube then in the fall I started up again (which was 6 months after release) and I managed to get one more level and get out of Un'goro. Then it didn't take long to hit 60 and start raiding UBRS, ZG and MC/Onyxia.

PS: Stay out of Un'goro while leveling alone.

The leveling experience is the most fun part about Vanilla, not gonna rush it.

Deleted
    Depending on which class I choose, I might grind to 5-6 - ie. the point where you leave your immediate starting area, after that it's a mix of quests and grinding. Once you get ahead of the wave, it's incredibly easy to stay that way, provided you have a bit of an idea of what you're doing.

Edit: Depending on how much time I'll be able to put into it, I might divert and do some dungeon quests along the way for the gear, especially if I pick a healer/tank class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Washington state, united states of america.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    So I have been practicing and 0-20 took me approx 15 hours as a rogue. Not too slow but nothing amazing...

What is your plan on getting from 0 to 60 asap pronto? Grinding, kill quests, zone hoping? Let me/us know your secrets.
    How have you been practising? It's not out yet... and I thought all the private servers were shut down.
    Let's get 1 thing straight, I'm not

Rushing your way to 60 is not really the best way to enjoy the Vanilla experience. Leveling always sucks when you're going through it but you will have plenty of memorable moments and experiences going through it, especially if you have only leveled post-Cata and prefer a quirkier and less structured system, and when you do get to 60 there isn't a whole lot to do except find a guild and start grinding the same content over and over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Washington state, united states of america.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Okay, this is pretty simple. Let's assume they put a cap of ~5k players per realm then queue, this is a Blizzard product, there is no way less than 100k people will want to play and want to play it RIGHT AWAY. Just saying that number I think it will be multiple times more than that, but we can stay conservative. Unless they want people stuck in queues, they will have to put up dozens of servers.

Assuming they don't split up EU and NA (cause why would they split the community), there will have to be even more servers to account for the fact that there is really no off-time.

Yeah, the hype will die down fast. But Blizzard will want everyone to be able to play right away, not stare at "Your position in the queue is 470/2345", so they will put up a lot of infrastructure, even at the cost of overshooting later on (and at the same time they probably realize they will have to implement merging tech sooner or later).
    Why would the realms cap at 5k? While these are vanilla servers blizzard has said it uses the modern infrastructure which can hold a lot more than 5k per realm. EU and Us will have separate servers that's pretty duh. And I think 2 or 3 servers each is likely. MAYBE 4. (PVP, PVE, RP, RPPVP). 8 realms across US and EU is best bet.
    Let's get 1 thing straight, I'm not