Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    You are behaving like a teenager trying to look indifferent ineffectually.
    It's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Primi View Post
    Hear my words.....a day will come when I will be called racist for eating tacos ( or better chimichangas).

That day is coming and that day is the day I wont have anymore reasons to live.
    No, let that be the day you give them a REAL reason not to like you. Welts left across faces do a nice job of that.

- - - Updated - - -

If one were to dress up as Tonto from the lone ranger and run around with a sheleighleigh while playing straight outta compton riding a camel, would that be considered cultural appropriation? Asking for a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Pretty sure that Koreans have never subjugated or oppressed Native Americans, which means there is no cultural dominance, which means that cultural appropriation doesn't apply.

Just like a Canadian dressing up as Crocodile Dundee or a Leprechaun isn't cultural appropriation.
    Don't you mess with the leprechauns. They like to burn things.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've stopped trying to follow these stupid trends
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    No, let that be the day you give them a REAL reason not to like you. Welts left across faces do a nice job of that.

- - - Updated - - -

If one were to dress up as Tonto from the lone ranger and run around with a sheleighleigh while playing straight outta compton riding a camel, would that be considered cultural appropriation? Asking for a friend...
    No but it might be cause considered trying to hard to be edgy.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No but it might be cause considered trying to hard to be edgy.
    Thanks. i knew cultural appropriation was a bullshit term!

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    What even is "cultural appropriation"? And why is it bad?
    The thing is a lot of native american attire (Eagle feather headdresses especially) is INCREDIBLY sacred, and so some people take offense to these things being used outside of their original context.

It's kind of like if someone dressed up like Jesus, it might make some religious folks uncomfortable. The problem is expounded when the person dressed up does or says things that folks don't want associated with the original group (ex: In the US sometimes drunk college kids dress up in headdresses and whatnot and native americans are understandably a bit nonplussed at such shenanigans)

The problem is a lot of people don't really understand how cultural misappropriation works and so they have kneejerk reactions and are rude to otherwise wellmeaning people.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    Hey guys,this is racist now according to the lunatics:

I think Stan Lee or Disney own the license for that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    Hey guys,this is racist now according to the lunatics:

[IMG]https://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/51263723?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg[IMG]
    How can he be racist AND be worthy enough to lift the hammer? The argument makes no sense.

Because people are retards. Only reason that makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    The thing is a lot of native american attire (Eagle feather headdresses especially) is INCREDIBLY sacred, and so some people take offense to these things being used outside of their original context.

It's kind of like if someone dressed up like Jesus, it might make some religious folks uncomfortable. The problem is expounded when the person dressed up does or says things that folks don't want associated with the original group (ex: In the US sometimes drunk college kids dress up in headdresses and whatnot and native americans are understandably a bit nonplussed at such shenanigans)

The problem is a lot of people don't really understand how cultural misappropriation works and so they have kneejerk reactions and are rude to otherwise wellmeaning people.
    My understanding of the concept is that it only really works one way. As in, you can't culturally appropriate more powerful/ruling cultures. Obviously you can on a 'individual level', but the idea is that it won't have 'tangible derogatory' effects as the powerful/ruling culture is less affected and can't really be replicated wide-scale (for cultural, legal and probably other reasons). In short it's a power dynamic thing between a 'ruling culture' and a 'subjugated culture' (which American Indian culture is...or you'd all have much cooler names!).

Though Asians dressing up as American Indians is definitely not a thing I'm aware of though. There is no real history between Asian cultures and American Indians? So in this case it would 100% be incorrect application of the term.
    Last edited by RapBreon; 2017-11-24 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Clarity!

Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    Though Asians dressing up as Indians is definitely not a thing I'm aware of though. There is no real history between Asian cultures and American Indians? So in this case it would 100% be incorrect application of the term.
    What does indians have to do with this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do we have this thread every day?

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I think Stan Lee or Disney own the license for that though.
    Own the license for a mythological being?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    How can he be racist AND be worthy enough to lift the hammer? The argument makes no sense.
    technically, we don't really know what worthy actually is according to the hammer. from what we've seen, it has something to do with confidence(whenever thor loses confidence in himself, he can't pick it up or call it to himself), and purity of heart/ideal(cap being able to move it a bit, and the vision being able to lift it)

so theoretically, a really, really confident racist who believes wholeheartedly in such things could potentially lift said hammer.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

This is fine.

What isn't fine is a football team still existing called red skins with a Native American as the mascot. Some seriously fucked up shit right there easilu on the level of black face but I guess since we've made the entire culture irrlevant nowadays it doesn't really matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    That sheriff badge he's wearing just means nothin' ta you, huh? They had to *earn* that star, just like the redskins had ta earn them-there feather hats!
    Oy, if you're going to site Cowboy Culture, do it correctly. SHerrif stars are not a cowboy thing. Cowboy Hats, boots, and to an extent denim pants were (stuff that prtected form the sun and dirt / made riding a bit easier).

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Well it could be considered insensitive in America
    everything is considered insensitive in America.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Own the license for a mythological being?
    Only if that attached image they own the intellectual property to.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    What does indians have to do with this?
    Whoops, meant American Indians. In case you knew what I meant and was asking the other question.

There is no history of cultural subjugation by Asians (of any nationality) unto American Indians (that I'm aware of). Which is...what she's dressed as right?
    Last edited by RapBreon; 2017-11-24 at 03:49 AM.