Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    That is the curve of the camera lens you fool, it is flat.
    Ahh, right. The curve from the camera lens. The curve that selectively ONLY applies to the horizon line in the picture, and not, you know, every other straight line there, like chimney stacks, the edge of the sidewalk blocks, the roof lines of the houses or anything. Just the horizon. So, um, how long exactly have we been manufacturing magical horizon detecting camera lenses for?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Ahh, right. The curve from the camera lens. The curve that selectively ONLY applies to the horizon line in the picture, and not, you know, every other straight line there, like chimney stacks, the edge of the sidewalk blocks, the roof lines of the houses or anything. Just the horizon. So, um, how long exactly have we been manufacturing magical horizon detecting camera lenses for?
    It's not possible to see the curve of the horizon at practically sea level like that. It's not visible until around 30,000 fee, and even then it's only barely visible. Need to be closer to 70,000 feet to really see it.
    Cooler Master H500P Mesh | i7 8700K@5GHz | CLC 280 | Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR4@3000MHz | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | Samsung EVO 960 500GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | WD Black 3TB | AOC G2460PF 144Hz

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Projection through lens to photo-chip. It's more extreme and noticeable at the edges where coincidentally all the bunk shows up with lighting effects etc. turn to UFO captured on camera or as proof the earth is round on a photo of horizon.

Best and most straightforward proof that the earth is round imo has to be watching ships apparently submerge into the ocean on departure and resurface on return, dependent on travel direction and distance to you. When you see a distant ship in binoculars or telescope you only see the top-part sticking up over the horizon. Easy to test yourself in good weather on a calm sea as then you'll hardly need binoculars if you can spot a big ship or one with a tall mast. Just keep an eye out and take note.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Best and most straightforward proof that the earth is round imo has to be watching ships apparently submerge into the ocean on departure and resurface on return, dependent on travel direction and distance to you. When you see a distant ship in binoculars or telescope you only see the top-part sticking up over the horizon. Easy to test yourself in good weather on a calm sea as then you'll hardly need binoculars if you can spot a big ship or one with a tall mast. Just keep an eye out and take note.
    Or the fact that I can not stand on the top of the CN Tower and look at the tops of the mountains in BC with a telescope, no matter how hard I try, even though I should be able to if the earth was flat, since there is nothing between the two points that would block the view elevation wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Darwin award can only be given if the nominee hasn't spread his genes.

This guy is 61 and while there is no info about his family easily available, the probability for his procreation is high, thus he would be disqualified from this esteemed award.
    Ah yes, I forgot about that detail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    “I don’t believe in science,” declared the 61-year-old. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula.”

A grade A idiot.
    That's what science is!

He doesn't believe in science but he's doing a scientific experiment to prove something the fucking greeks figured out 2500 years ago.
    Putin khuliyo

It sounds like he doesn't believe what his eyes are telling him every time he sees the horizon.

Besides if the earth was truly flat, then cats would have knocked everything off it by now.

7+ Year Old Account
    The epitome of owning your stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    It sounds like he doesn't believe what his eyes are telling him every time he sees the horizon.

Besides if the earth was truly flat, then cats would have knocked everything off it by now.
    AFAIK the curvature of Earth is not actually detectable by looking at the horizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    AFAIK the curvature of Earth is not actually detectable by looking at the horizon.
    Only if you're thinking two-dimensionally. Both Tiwack and Surfd a few posts up mention how to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Doesn't look like anything to me.
    HAHAHAHAHA nice one mate!

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    Flat earthers are stupid, but what are you are seeing there is an optical illusion from the lens of the camera. you cannot actually detect the curvature of the earth until you are at a very high altitude.
    What are you talking about? I live at the beach (in Europe) and can see the curvature of earth with my own eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Only if you're thinking two-dimensionally. Both Tiwack and Surfd a few posts up mention how to see it.
    Ships is really the only thing that works out of the suggestions presented. Even on a flat Earth, you would not be able to see arbitrarily far due to biological limitations of the eye, as well as interference from the atmosphere.

The curvature in the picture *is* due to the camera. The claim that the sidewalk isn't curved in the photo is wrong, take a ruler and compare. It's got about the same curvature as the horizon. Other things like the Chimney and rooftops? Curves are noticeable the longer the lines go, those aren't long enough to be distinguishable.

I am not arguing for a flat Earth. But most of the common arguments against flat Earth either presuppose that the Earth is curved, or can also be explained by other physics (or artifacts from equipment). And these arguments are not good arguments.

There are many good arguments which are essentially geometric, and as such cannot be refuted with other physics or measuring artifacts. Such as the changing constellations as you move around the Earth, shadows at two different points, etc.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Washington state, united states of america.
    Ships is really the only thing that works out of the suggestions presented. Even on a flat Earth, you would not be able to see arbitrarily far due to biological limitations of the eye, as well as interference from the atmosphere.

The curvature in the picture *is* due to the camera. The claim that the sidewalk isn't curved in the photo is wrong, take a ruler and compare. It's got about the same curvature as the horizon. Other things like the Chimney and rooftops? Curves are noticeable the longer the lines go, those aren't long enough to be distinguishable.

I am not arguing for a flat Earth. But most of the common arguments against flat Earth either presuppose that the Earth is curved, or can also be explained by other physics (or artifacts from equipment). And these arguments are not good arguments.

There are many good arguments which are essentially geometric, and as such cannot be refuted with other physics or measuring artifacts. Such as the changing constellations as you move around the Earth, shadows at two different points, etc.
    Telescopes don't suffer from the same limitations as the human eye. With a basic telescope you should be able to see the ice wall if the world was flat and the ice wall even existed.
    Last edited by serendipity11; 2017-11-24 at 09:20 PM.
    Let's get 1 thing straight, I'm not

Quote Originally Posted by serendipity11 View Post
    Telescopes don't suffer from the same limitations as the human eye. With a basic telescope you should be able to see the ice wall if the world was flat and the ice wall even existed.
    With a basic telescope, far enough objects should still not be visible. If something is super small compared with the distance to that thing, then it will still be super small unless you're magnifying it a hell of a lot. And then there's still the issue of the atmosphere mucking it up.

“I don’t believe in science, except aeronautic science, which for some reason doesn't count."

All options here will lead to hilarity. I wait with baited breath. Say hi to the ISS if you survive that long!

- - - Updated - - -

The best part of course is that if he somehow survives this, no one from the flat earth community will believe him. They'll rationalize that he was paid off by NASA to lie to them, etc etc.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2017-11-24 at 09:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Washington state, united states of america.
    With a basic telescope, far enough objects should still not be visible. If something is super small compared with the distance to that thing, then it will still be super small unless you're magnifying it a hell of a lot. And then there's still the issue of the atmosphere mucking it up.
    So you're saying I can easily get a good look at mars with a basic telescope, but I wouldn't be able to see the ice wall on a flat earth? Okay buddy.
    Let's get 1 thing straight, I'm not

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're saying I can easily get a good look at mars with a basic telescope, but I wouldn't be able to see the ice wall on a flat earth? Okay buddy.
    There's less air between us and mars than there would be between us and this supposed ice wall.

When you're looking at astronomical objects, you are mostly looking up. The characteristics of the atmosphere vary by altitude. You're not going to get as much interference looking straight up as you will looking horizontally.

Like, I don't see why this has been as controversial as it's been. All I'm saying is that the best arguments are those which are geometric in nature: because denying those would essentially be denying mathematics.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2017-11-24 at 10:27 PM.

This dude could have saved a ton of money by just buying airline tickets and flying around the planet.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.