Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Yes it's kinda sad that in these amazing times with vanilla finally coming back we're surrounded by hate. Parts of the retail community on one side and the entire private server community on the other side

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush2803 View Post
    So far it seems the "purist" crowd are actually the most hateful bunch of people around here.
    Very true and also how some of the pro legacy crowd are coming off as smug gits..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    It's what I believe psychologists call 'Loss aversion'. Basically people subconciously hate the idea of "maybe being wrong" so they lash out at the percieved threat or adversary. It's the same mechanics at work that we saw a few years ago with the Xbox VS PlayStation fanboys. They loved their product to much that they had to bash on the other one to assure their own ego that they have the "good console"

tldr: Retail plebs try to assure their own ego by claiming classic is bad all while worrying that classic might actually be better than their shitty game.

EDIT: inb4 I get bashed by the fragile retail kids
    I as a pro legacy person that also plays retail am just tired of people like this tbh.
    Calling everyone names constantly because they don't like the same game as them.
    Its a handful of posters over the past few years but that handful has been growing to 3 hands full lately.

Its sad that 30+ year olds need to act they way they do.
    These people are the reason for all your "hate".

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Yes it's kinda sad that in these amazing times with vanilla finally coming back we're surrounded by hate. Parts of the retail community on one side and the entire private server community on the other side
    Only 1 of those groups will pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Only 1 of those groups will pay for it.
    True, I doubt the private server community will be willing to pay the 15 dollar subscription, especially not when it's shared with retail.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    I've been on this forum for awhile and all I'm wondering is why people say this, "wait till people play vanilla again and realize how bad it was". Like guys Blizzard isn't doing this to make a point, they're doing it because it's clearly profitable (maybe some good PR in there too). I don't understand the salt, what's wrong with allowing a classic option? It's vanilla, some people are going to like it more and others won't but so many of you come in here and shit talk while others also shit talk current retail WoW. Like it doesn't fucking matter, just enjoy whatever you choose to play. Enough people want to play Vanilla and enough want to play retail.

It's literally almost like watching to sports teams shit talk each other but you actually mean it, it's tribal mentality on the next level.

You guys need to stop being salty neckbeards on both sides... Or don't because it's funny af to read.
    Sadly people will always do this. I personally don't get why they even bother, but hey, maybe they got too little to do on their spare time? "best find something to get upset about" that for sure will kill some time.

Quote Originally Posted by drori8 View Post
    bullshit, new content aint gonna get hit as they already said they hiring a completely new and different staff to work on this project so it wont cost you anything regarding retail.
    Unless there is a seperate sub for classic then of course it will hit retail. You think this "new staff" will work for free?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    If the newer classic players come and are retained in enough numbers, this is a net positive for retail. Assuming they charge money for Vanilla, which I assume they would.

This also ignores the fact Blizzard said it wouldn't (but eh, I wouldn't blame someone for not believing that, I barely believe it).
    Lets be real here though - While classic might get player back here and there, the vast majority of players that play classic will be the same people that play retail.
    So not only will this mean retail will get less resources it might also affect the player numbers in a negative way.

I don't see how this will be anything but negative for a player that has no intrest in classic.

Some people are incredibily triggered that after saying here for years (and being very emotional) that vanilla is bad, no one wants it, blizzard won't ever make it etc....

Edgy kids on both sides of the equation, then sadly some adults who never grew out of the "us vs. them" self identification mentality of teenage-hood.

There are cool, mature crowds on private servers as well as in retail. Find them and ignore the outside noise. We already had to do that in 2005.

As far as reading the fora like this one here, I do it mostly for entertainment. Nothing productive ever comes out of it. It's just a way for people to kill some time. I chuckle at the super loud ones and move on. If you give them attention, they'll just feed off of it and come back stronger.
    They don't deserve your upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    First of all, they are most likely only doing it becuase of the PR.
    They look bad when they shut down private servers but if the run a classic server of their own the backlash won't be as bad.

Secondly, Blizzard puting time and money into classic means that the new content will take a hit. We'll get to pay the same for less content. Of course people are against the idea.

So yes, if you have no intrest in classic but you like retail then classic is bad for you, in every way. Of course there will be angry customers.
    You know it's a 2nd separate team working on classic, right?

When Classic was announced, I was uninterested. There's nothing I could do in classic to make it worth my time, but I was genuinely happy for the people that wanted it. However, since these forums opened? It's hard not hoping it fails the way some of you guys talk and act.
    Last edited by Dakhath; 2017-11-24 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2803 View Post
    So far it seems the "purist" crowd are actually the most hateful bunch of people around here.
    Judging by this thread alone, it seems to be atleast 4 times the amount bashing purists, than any purist saying something about "retail kids".
    So by those measures your statement is pretty wrong.

Why people even bother thinking Blizzard should bring Classic back to something that's not even remotely close to vanilla is mind baffling.
    They are releasing Classic to give it to those people who have asked for it, and who actually knows what they asked for.

It is only everyone who argues against what Blizzard&purists want, and what Vanilla actually was that is hateful.

Everyone who agrees with the quote on top here, is only in this classic forum to spread such hate or try to destroy classic for others.

Blizzard asked us to discuss this topic without giving us specifics. Look at the the politics forum for what happens when alot of people discuss things like that. Two sides form, even though there should be way more then that, and every issue is simplified to the point that it neatly fits into that framework.
    At this point it's basically impossible to discuss anything without the armies coming in to defend this forum from opinions that diverge from the holy canons of retail and vanilla.
    Hope that changes once there is more specific stuff to discuss and we have some more ground rules.
    Last edited by owbu; 2017-11-24 at 04:42 PM.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by epLe View Post
    Judging by this thread alone, it seems to be atleast 4 times the amount bashing purists, than any purist saying something about "retail kids".

Why people even bother thinking Blizzard should bring Classic back to something that's not even remotely close to vanilla is mind baffling.
    They are releasing Classic to give it to those people who have asked for it, and who actually knows what they asked for.

It is only everyone who argues against what Blizzard&purists want, and what Vanilla actually was that is hateful.

Everyone who agrees with the quote on top here, is only in this classic forum to spread such hate or try to destroy classic for others.
    This thread has two pages.. that's in no way something to measure my statement by.

Try looking at the big ones, or any new thread that just asks a question about adding something to vanilla - then think about what I said was wrong or not.

I've been on this forum for awhile and all I'm wondering is why people say this, "wait till people play vanilla again and realize how bad it was". Like guys Blizzard isn't doing this to make a point, they're doing it because it's clearly profitable (maybe some good PR in there too). I don't understand the salt, what's wrong with allowing a classic option? It's vanilla, some people are going to like it more and others won't but so many of you come in here and shit talk while others also shit talk current retail WoW. Like it doesn't fucking matter, just enjoy whatever you choose to play. Enough people want to play Vanilla and enough want to play retail.

It's literally almost like watching to sports teams shit talk each other but you actually mean it, it's tribal mentality on the next level.

You guys need to stop being salty neckbeards on both sides... Or don't because it's funny af to read.
    People love hate.. when they can hide behind a pc (or a car) people behave like they really want.. like animals..

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure less than 1% of the playerbase (be it retail or private servers) give their opinion on these shit forums. All of this is magnified and encouraged by the same self entitled shitheads posting the same threads over and over again. ie: that "Civil War" thread is just some guyjerking off over something that virtualy doesn't exist.

I loved vanilla and played it on Nost because I was dissapointed of the direction Blizzard took the game even tho I play retail aswell. It's not the playerbase that turned all this to shit but blizzard themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given the relative numbers of people subbed to WoW right now and the number of people playing on private servers, how is this surprising?

The fact that you assume what you want and what Blizzard wants is the same thing is a big part of the issue. Your opinion holds no more weight than anyone else's opinion. Until they announce details of what Classic will be, or at least their philosophy on what it should be, its all speculation on our part.

It seems to me like the purists are looking for a re-release of the SNES. They are unlikely to get it. Everyone should mentally prepare for a SNES Classic. Few people want cartridges. Most people want HDMI. The same business logic that went into the re-engineering of the old system by Nintendo will likely be done by Blizzard. It just doesn't make a lot sense to just re-release an old system.

The fact that they have announced the WoW:Classic isn't coming soon should tell you that Blizzard isn't just standing up a stock 1.12.1 server. I'm sure they could do that in a matter of weeks if they were going in that direction. They fact that they haven't come out and announced it will be a 'pure' experience should tell you that it isn't yet decided what the feature set will be.
    Last edited by Chakah; 2017-11-24 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Lets be real here though - While classic might get player back here and there, the vast majority of players that play classic will be the same people that play retail.
    So not only will this mean retail will get less resources it might also affect the player numbers in a negative way.

I don't see how this will be anything but negative for a player that has no intrest in classic.
    Ok lets be real. The amount of new subs they need to attract has to exceed both their initial investment and maintenance costs for this to be a gain. Again, we also assume the 2nd team is BS (which, I doubt it, but probably also overstated)

Blizzard - who ostensibly has access to much more data than us and aren't a charity - has seen that this is a good wager to make. I only think it sensible to side with Blizzard's willingness to commit over your (reasonable) conjecture. They may end up being wrong, but they're the safer bet.

If Classic cannibalises retail (which I highly doubt), then as someone who is more interested in Classic than BfA, I'd be thrilled.

It's mostly just MMO champion,this place is seeping with hate

It's perfectly OK that Blizzard is doing Classic servers. It's just that the crowd that's been going on about it for years is one of the most annoying, overbearing, presumptious, detached from reality, stupid as fuck segments of the community. And it's pretty funny how they're demonstrating this fact more clearly than ever, ironically just now that Classic WoW really is coming,