Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    In the modern day South, video games are still framed as satan worship by religious kooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I would assume that mentality was proportionately similar to in my time crazed religious fundamentalists blaming everything on video games. The scapegoat changes, the people do not.

Though as you've shown it makes for some hilarious propaganda to look back on. I still remember one, I think it was from the red scare, where if you notice your neighbor spending a lot of time alone instead of socializing, or they don't come to church enough they might be a communist!
    Can't tell what was worse; being a godless communist or a devil-worshipping D&D roleplayer.

Definitely had a stigma even for me in the 90s as being associated with devil worship.

Though I grew up in the South and it's not known for it's pursuit of critical thinking.

DnD and magic were huge and still are to this day.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not in the 80's. I actually played back in the 70's in the early days. It was considered pretty geeky in the 70's and 80's, long before geeky things were cool. But it wasn't a big deal or avoided, and it was a lot smaller community than later on. In fact there were some strong RPG competitors back then like Traveller.

The only thing really that gave it a bad rep was it suffering from the same lazy media news that was popular at the time, where tv or newspapers would try to get parents riled up about a topic being bad for kids. DnD was one after a kid in California that played DnD killed himself and they blamed DnD. The same things happened with people that went to Judas Priest or Ozzy concerts back then, or even some videogames, where media would try to panic parents into thinking that playing DnD or listening to rock music would turn their kids into devil worshipers or murderers. Parents wised up over the years and realized that's not the case, but back then many parents bought into it and refused to let their kids play DnD.

My friends and I all played Dungeons and Dragons in the 80s, but then Nintendo came out and that was the end of that.

There's been a revival of DnD players recently, at least with me. We're all children of the 80's. When I can make the sessions, I play a rogue named Grey Mauser. In real life, I'm playing with a medical doctor, an accountant, a fellow business owner, a computer programmer, a chemical engineer, and that one guy no one really knows what he does but he's the DM.

In the 80's, my father got one of the sets (the red box, iirc), and we'd play it with some of his co-workers.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Never even heard of DnD as a kid I know a few that play it now but I've never played it.