Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Yeah, and look where it's got us.
    A country that is slowly representing the actual country and not just a certain demographic? Sounds great to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I wonder if you'd still be for the idea, if any service prior to the legislation was not credited towards it.
    That wouldn't male sense, those people already sacrificed.

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    The right to vote is already restricted. In most general term, you need to be at least 18 or 21 (depends on the country) years old before you can vote.

Heinlein actually played with the idea of restricting the status of a citizen to only those people who demonstrate they are willing to put the good of the many before their own interests. Namely, by serving in the army for a set period of time. He explored in theme in depth in his novel Starship Troopers. To be honest, he took heavy inspiration from Plato's Republic, and Plato wasn't a fan of democracy ever since the demos condemned his teacher Socrates to death sentence.
    Ah yes, we're going to take lessons in morality from Heinlein and his novel Starship Troopers.

What a world.

I think in order to be able to vote. People must pass a test. A test which proves that people have the ability to distinguish between what is left and right wing, what the main parties are and what they usually stand for. To show an ability to understand statistics and what they really mean, like migration stats and stats related to the economy.

People voting blind or voting on personality I think is one of the reasons why the UK voted to leave the EU, why Trump is President, and why Marine Le Pen got to the last hurdle.

NB: I am center right, before people start calling me a loony lefty

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

Age restricted as normal, no vote for prisoners and non-citizens.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    A country that is slowly representing the actual country and not just a certain demographic? Sounds great to me.
    Sarcasm 10char

Sarcasm 10char
    wat 10charmanders

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes

You can't vote if you're some foreigner obviously and are not a citizen.

BTW, the argument about ''you need to do military service or to have some lands'' is a bit ridiculous, since everyone known damn well on this thread and in the USA that the people that enlist tends to be from poor backgrounds (I don't know also what kind of delusion you have to be to assume that ''owning land'' is a criterion for being a wealthy citizen in the USA in 2017)

Morever, who actually get the vote, for the people that drool over manly heroes ? The one man out of ten who actually see something remotely akin to combat ? (1)

(1) It goes without saying that being a cook in a base in Alabama is military service as much as being a Green Beret.

That wouldn't male sense, those people already sacrificed.
    Those people didn't do it for right to vote, since it wouldn't have been required. They did it for whatever personal reasons, unrelated to right to vote. So if it were to be required, there's no reason to credit those prior unrelated choices towards the new requirement. Make everyone start on even ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    BTW, the argument about ''you need to do military service or to have some lands'' is a bit ridiculous, since everyone known damn well on this thread and in the USA that the people that enlist tends to be from poor backgrounds (I don't know also what kind of delusion you have to be to assume that ''owning land'' is a criterion for being a wealthy citizen in the USA in 2017)

Morever, who actually get the vote, for the people that drool over manly heroes ? The one man out of ten who actually see something remotely akin to combat ? (1)

(1) It goes without saying that being a cook in a base in Alabama is military service as much as being a Green Beret.
    That's actually not true, enlistment reflects the overall social demographic of the country.

- - - Updated - - -

Those people didn't do it for right to vote, since it wouldn't have been required. They did it for whatever personal reasons, unrelated to right to vote. So if it were to be required, there's no reason to credit those prior unrelated choices towards the new requirement. Make everyone start on even ground.
    I would grandfather anyone in who already sacrificed for their country. I don't think their intent matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sormine View Post
    Ah yes, we're going to take lessons in morality from Heinlein and his novel Starship Troopers.

What a world.
    What is not clear exactly is what was exactly ''military service'' before the Bugs shown up. I presume that this was like military service in France or Germany when a war was not looming up : lots of boot shining and being screamed at...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not against the idea of some sort of public service requirement to gain the right to vote, whether it be military, or a form of community service, like 2000 hours.
    2000 would be extreme, especially for poorer people. If you're working 2-3 jobs, where is the time for service? And if you're working 2-3 jobs, you're trying to be productive and are certainly still paying some taxes, and so should get a say.

100 hours might be more reasonable if we're going to go that route

otherwise I cant be for conditional voting, because we fought way too hard for minorities ot get the right to vote just to take it away because "I think you vote wrong".

10+ Year Old Account
    It is restricted... heavily. We don't even let people convicted of a felony vote.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I would grandfather anyone in who already sacrificed for their country. I don't think their intent matters.
    You're missing the point. If you want to force people to do X to earn right to vote, then force everyone. Anyone who chose to do something prior to legislation was not forced into anything, and as such, should definitely not count if you're going to force everyone who didn't choose it.

You're missing the point. If you want to force people to do X to earn right to vote, then force everyone. Anyone who chose to do something prior to legislation was not forced into anything, and as such, should definitely not count if you're going to force everyone who didn't choose it.
    It's not forcing, it's optional, you only have to do it if you want to vote.

You're missing the point. If you want to force people to do X to earn right to vote, then force everyone. Anyone who chose to do something prior to legislation was not forced into anything, and as such, should definitely not count if you're going to force someone else.
    Yeah. France, Germany, Italy or Russia had all actual conscription for decades. If anything, anglo-saxon countries are the ones that tied the less military service with citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    2000 would be extreme, especially for poorer people. If you're working 2-3 jobs, where is the time for service? And if you're working 2-3 jobs, you're trying to be productive and are certainly still paying some taxes, and so should get a say.

100 hours might be more reasonable if we're going to go that route

otherwise I cant be for conditional voting, because we fought way too hard for minorities ot get the right to vote just to take it away because "I think you vote wrong".
    2000 May be extreme, but it should be something that takes time.

Maybe some sort of difficult civics test.

It's not forcing, it's optional, you only have to do it if you want to vote.
    Repeating service would also be optional, and you only have to do it if you want to vote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Its a question I play with from time to time. Why should those that have no investment in a country have any sway in how it's run?

Would we be better off redistricting the much abused right to vote to smaller subgroups of society ? Perhaps those who served in the millitary or at a minimum owned land.

I am curious to hearing people's thoughts on it.
    The ones who own land aren't always the ones with the best intentions.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..