Switch from R5 1600 to i3 8350k?

Here is my current "gaming" build, just finished about a month ago:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $193.44)
    Motherboard: ASRock - X370 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $129.99)
    Memory: G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $219.00)
    Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $54.99)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $43.78)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card (Purchased For $539.99)
    Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $69.99)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $88.98)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $88.89)
    Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 140 61.2 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $11.69)
    Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 140 61.2 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $11.69)
    Monitor: Nixeus - NX-EDG27 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor (Purchased For $469.99)
    Total: $1922.42
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-29 11:01 EST-0500

I recently decided to return a few components (monitor & motherboard) because the monitor had a dead pixel and I wanted a gsync panel so I will probably go with this 27" dell monitor - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27...?skuId=5293502

The motherboard has a weak VRM and it wouldn't take full advantage of my memory @ 3200mhz CL14. So I was going to buy the ASUS X370-PRO for better VRM and OCing.

As I started to think about it.... I wondered if (since I am already replacing my motherboard) I should just switch to intel by selling my r5 1600 and purchase an i3 8350k. It would allow me to return the ram (still within 30days) because I wouldn't need that expensive of a ram kit to go with intel where as ryzen I kind of wanted it in order to take advantage of the "infinity fabric technology" in ryzen to get that 10%+ increase in fps performance.

My biggest concern however is, I don't know if I would notice much of a difference since I am playing @ 1440p instead of 1080p. thoughts?
    Last edited by bamf775; 2017-11-29 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    Here is my current "gaming" build, just finished about a month ago:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $193.44)
    Motherboard: ASRock - X370 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $129.99)
    Memory: G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $219.00)
    Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $54.99)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $43.78)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card (Purchased For $539.99)
    Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $69.99)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $88.98)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $88.89)
    Monitor: Nixeus - NX-EDG27 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor (Purchased For $469.99)
    Total: $1922.42
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-29 11:01 EST-0500

I recently decided to return a few components (monitor & motherboard) because the monitor had a dead pixel and I wanted a gsync panel so I will probably go with this 27" dell monitor - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27...?skuId=5293502

The motherboard has a weak VRM and it wouldn't take full advantage of my memory @ 3200mhz CL14. So I was going to buy the ASUS X370-PRO for better VRM and OCing.

As I started to think about it.... I wondered if (since I am already replacing my motherboard) I should just switch to intel by selling my r5 1600 and purchase an i3 8350k. It would allow me to return the ram (still within 30days) because I wouldn't need that expensive of a ram kit to go with intel where as ryzen I kind of wanted it in order to take advantage of the "infinity fabric technology" in ryzen to get that 10%+ increase in fps performance.

My biggest concern however is, I don't know if I would notice much of a difference since I am playing @ 1440p instead of 1080p. thoughts?
    I will speak on the monitor first as my primary monitor is that Dell. For the price its is fucking amazing. You will get people who will try and say "its only a TN its trash, buy this crazy overpriced (insert ASUS ROG or Predator here ) monitor instead that is IPS" for those guys i just say eat a dick. I have 2 IPS panels on each side of this screen and have the colors on all 3 damn near exact to the point that I cant tell this is NOT a IPS. Read the reviews on best buy, one of the top reviews gives some very good info for calibration that is on point. I tweaked mine a little from his but he was in the ballpark. I Just ordered 2 more of those Dells on Back Friday because they had them at $350, $399 is still a STEAL for a Gsync screen AND 1440

The I3 will perform better by a few FPS in games than the R5, the R5 will do better in encoding ect but if you dont do that it doesn't matter. If you swap to the I3 I would still keep the ram you have, at this point I wouldn't drop to anything below 3000 and the price difference between 3000 to 3200 is not much, deff not worth the headache of a return/rebuy

At the end of the day if you go the route of the I3 you may gain about 3-4 frames on average.... not a ton tbo for all the work of slip flopping. To me its not worth it but that will be for you to decide. I dont think you will notice as much difference one way or another and it could end up resulting in a overall loss of $$$ to swap.

Sorry for not giving a clear answer one way or the other but I thought I could at least throw out some good pro/cons
    Last edited by Moozart; 2017-11-29 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    I will speak on the monitor first as my primary monitor is that Dell. For the price its is fucking amazing. You will get people who will try and say "its only a TN its trash, buy this crazy overpriced (insert ASUS ROG or Predator here ) monitor instead that is IPS" for those guys i just say eat a dick. I have 2 IPS panels on each side of this screen and have the colors on all 3 damn near exact to the point that I cant tell this is NOT a IPS. Read the reviews on best buy, one of the top reviews gives some very good info for calibration that is on point. I tweaked mine a little from his but he was in the ballpark.

The I3 will perform better by a few FPS in games than the R5, the R5 will do better in encoding ect but if you dont do that it doesn't matter. If you swap to the I3 I would still keep the ram you have, at this point I wouldn't drop to anything below 3000 and the price difference between 3000 to 3200 is not much, deff not worth the headache of a return/rebuy

At the end of the day if you go the route of the I3 you may gain about 3-4 frames on average.... not a ton tbo for all the work of slip flopping. To me its not worth it but that will be for you to decide. I dont think you will notice as much difference one way or another and it could end up resulting in a overall loss of $$$ to swap.

Sorry for not giving a clear answer one way or the other but I thought I could at least throw out some good pro/cons
    I think this was a great response and I think I'm just having a little nerd nervous breakdown or something. I realize I shouldnt be comparing the core speed between intel and amd but for years we've seen intel lead the market and continue to tweak "essentially" the same chips over and over to make them faster. And then all of the sudden, AMD comes out of the wood works (at the same time I come into the market after years of using intel chips) with this new architecture I cant understand except that I need expensive @$$ ram to improve single thread performance.

So I guess I'm trying to hold onto a meaningless comparison when comparing AMDs core speed to Intels core speed.

I think this was a great response and I think I'm just having a little nerd nervous breakdown or something. I realize I shouldnt be comparing the core speed between intel and amd but for years we've seen intel lead the market and continue to tweak "essentially" the same chips over and over to make them faster. And then all of the sudden, AMD comes out of the wood works (at the same time I come into the market after years of using intel chips) with this new architecture I cant understand except that I need expensive @$$ ram to improve single thread performance.

So I guess I'm trying to hold onto a meaningless comparison when comparing AMDs core speed to Intels core speed.
    Speeds arent what they used to be tbo, much of it is how optimized it is. As you can see from my sig I run both platforms. Intel still seems to do better for gaming where Ryzen does much better for video editing and stuff like that... HOWEVER the Ryzen is not far behind in gaming(few FPS as MOST) where as my Intel rig get blown away in editing.. My Ryzen system does run better on wow than my Intel system though, I am guessing because wow is CPU heavy compared to most game.. GG Blizz
    The I3 does have a stutter issue in games, I will warn you of that, I am going to link you a few vides, one of them is just benchmark score but the other one will show some game play. If you watch the I3 side you will notice in games where it gets jerky and the R5 does not. I tried to find some vids using a 1080 but I just could not so found the closest thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7xWpLEv_pY Scores
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfTdIvveWWU&t=231s Video
    Last edited by Moozart; 2017-11-29 at 06:51 PM.

Deleted
    My Acer is better. Is the extra price worth it? That's down to you and it's hard to test out unless you can run them side by side.

You are literally going into panic mode for no reason at all same with your other post.

Going from a R5 1600 at the 4.0Ghz you reached it to a I3-8350K is silly, you will be downgrading.

Ryzen at the OCs you have managed is pretty much equal to any Intel of the same frequencies, sure the Intel counterparts might be 0.7% faster but according to your posts you already reached high enough yet you think you need to do better.

As i already mentioned in the other post also its the reason why its a bit risky to play around with RAM OC and Ryzen with all the problems they had, but you seem to have reached a high spot.

Save your money, keep your hardware, fix your OC back as it was, wait a few months as the 9 series seem to be releasing earlier than people thought same with Z390, sell your R5 then and get whatever better.

If i was you i would do neither, find a stable OC, keep it there and enjoy, you are looking into pointless single digit details when it comes to game performance for no reason at all, same with the VRM posts in the other post.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-11-30 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You are literally going into panic mode for no reason at all same with your other post.

Going from a R5 1600 at the 4.0Ghz you reached it to a I3-8350K is silly, you will be downgrading.

Ryzen at the OCs you have managed is pretty much equal to any Intel of the same frequencies, sure the Intel counterparts might be 0.7% faster but according to your posts you already reached high enough yet you think you need to do better.

As i already mentioned in the other post also its the reason why its a bit risky to play around with RAM OC and Ryzen with all the problems they had, but you seem to have reached a high spot.

Save your money, keep your hardware, fix your OC back as it was, wait a few months as the 9 series seem to be releasing earlier than people thought same with Z390, sell your R5 then and get whatever better.

If i was you i would do neither, find a stable OC, keep it there and enjoy, you are looking into pointless single digit details when it comes to game performance for no reason at all, same with the VRM posts in the other post.
    Thanks again for the advice but I wonder if the tone in this response seems somewhat laced with irritation. If thats the case, I'm sorry you are sick of seeing my posts, you are more than welcome to pass on reading them or pass on comments. I enjoy these conversations and I like learning about it. I'm just trying to get the most out of my hardware, just a personal preference.

Speaking of which, I got my Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 board last night and saw a noticeable difference! I got the R5 1600 to OC stable @ 4.0 and ram @ 3200 CL14 (the sweet spot!)

I just need to buy a tower cooler because stock cooler isn't going to handle that. Anyway, I'm done "panicing", thanks.

Thanks again for the advice but I wonder if the tone in this response seems somewhat laced with irritation. If thats the case, I'm sorry you are sick of seeing my posts, you are more than welcome to pass on reading them or pass on comments. I enjoy these conversations and I like learning about it. I'm just trying to get the most out of my hardware, just a personal preference.

Speaking of which, I got my Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 board last night and saw a noticeable difference! I got the R5 1600 to OC stable @ 4.0 and ram @ 3200 CL14 (the sweet spot!)

I just need to buy a tower cooler because stock cooler isn't going to handle that. Anyway, I'm done "panicing", thanks.
    There is no irritation, i just dont like people spending their money for no reason because they read something on tomshardware or something else, what you achieved before was already good, and since you managed your results congrats.

And i am not even sure what you mean tower cooler , i am guessing you meant to say CPU cooler? Then yes, its recommended, the wraith isnt that bad, but its not that good.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, he meant to say tower cooler. Which is exactly what you think it is - CPU cooler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good choice. In 1 or 2 years you would have regret not getting an x370 board. I woulda got the taichi tho.