Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjason View Post
    only level 10 is 5% most levels are 60% and 40% xp increase.

at least the same time required with the changes would be good enough for me (leveling from 1-100 takes enough time right now) but i dont think they can fit in the classic,bc, etc leveling experience into the current xp requirements. so im guessing that it overall will take longer now. (how did EA say it? "we want people to feel good when they unlock something" )
    You're also not taking into account that skipping Outland means leveling from 58 to 80 in Northrend, which has faster and less annoying ("kill 30 mobs on the opposite side of the zone") quests. And Pandaria instead of Cataclysm, which allows you to go from one zone to the next without having to go back to the capital.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    "Drastically", 5-60%

Considering there won't be green or gray quests anymore, and that we'll be able to finish zones before having to travel somewhere else, I'm wondering if the net result won't be faster than it was, even with the increase.
    In practice I've never run into this problem even with full heirloom set. Green quests sure, but I could always finish the entire zone.

The one place where this doesn't ring true is in Vashjir where you reach 85 from 80 and have finished two thirds approximately. But the issue there is that there is some nasty exp gain nerf at 85 because they want to force you to go into next expansion content. Not actually grey quests.

I will also say that I'm cynical to this change. I do believe they are justifying spending time on re-scaling this content with that the 50 dollar character boost will be used more often. If they're inelegant about this and leveling just gets 3x times longer I do hope the community backlashes some.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Project 501D13R View Post
    it doesn't take long, especially if you have heirlooms
    here's an example, granted the person in question had just about every form of boost possible
    I have an issue with videos like this where the player is getting boosted by friends. If your friends are boosting you, you should really be taking into consideration their time.

That said if you optimize your time (eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0oD3CF3XOk), then you should be able to do it in 12 hours or less currently on retail.

Looks like the changes won't change that much. From what I can tell dungeon grinding is still going to be optimal which makes you wonder why they are changing world scaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    In practice I've never run into this problem even with full heirloom set. Green quests sure, but I could always finish the entire zone.

The one place where this doesn't ring true is in Vashjir where you reach 85 from 80 and have finished two thirds approximately. But the issue there is that there is some nasty exp gain nerf at 85 because they want to force you to go into next expansion content. Not actually grey quests.

I will also say that I'm cynical to this change. I do believe they are justifying spending time on re-scaling this content with that the 50 dollar character boost will be used more often. If they're inelegant about this and leveling just gets 3x times longer I do hope the community backlashes some.
    I don't think you can finish any zone below level 30 without completely outleveling it, unless you're only doing the bare minimum quests. From there on, it's usually just green for the last half.

It's impossible for it to take three times longer if the largest increase is a 60% in the first 59 levels... that's just math.

At most it would be 30-40% longer (probably less if the 60+ levels don't get changed at all), and the removal of grey and green quests should make up for it.

I don't think you can finish any zone below level 30 without completely outleveling it, unless you're only doing the bare minimum quests. From there on, it's usually just green for the last half.

It's impossible for it to take three times longer if the largest increase is a 60% in the first 59 levels... that's just math.

At most it would be 30-40% longer (probably less if the 60+ levels don't get changed at all), and the removal of grey and green quests should make up for it.
    Don’t forget the mob health increase make the “kill 15 of mob x” quests take a lot longer. Not sure the math since you would have to factor in each quest.
    "Peace is a lie"

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    Don’t forget the mob health increase make the “kill 15 of mob x” quests take a lot longer. Not sure the math since you would have to factor in each quest.
    True, but is that for all mobs or just certain expansions and zones? Last time they squished the numbers, some mobs got slightly buffed, but others got noticeably nerfed.

I'm sure someone is already calculating the fastest way to level up in the PTR and comparing it to how it is on live.

True, but is that for all mobs or just certain expansions and zones? Last time they squished the numbers, some mobs got slightly buffed, but others got noticeably nerfed.

I'm sure someone is already calculating the fastest way to level up in the PTR and comparing it to how it is on live.
    Yeah no clue. But I don’t really mind slowing it down. Like you said, I have never finished a zone since cata. Always outlevel. And I don’t dungeon grind, just do them once or twice
    "Peace is a lie"

Deleted

This pretty much.

I've leveled a lot of alts and a big issue was always running dungeons while questing. If you end up in a nice group that runs a couple dungeons, you can easily end up gaining 10-15 or even more levels without completing a single quest. This means you'll have to travel huge distances in order to get level appropriate quests again. That takes a long time usually. I actually avoid running dungeons at certain levels because I don't want to end up running through half the continent later on.

Now that you can just keep questing in the same zone, that problem is gone. Now you can have a more steady flow of xp all the time instead of these huge spikes. Depending on how mob health and player damage is going to be, I don't think leveling would take that much longer, if at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    Like 20 hours with out experience potions.
    The above post should never be taken seriously in any shape or form. Failure to do so might result in laughing matters.

Wait, leveling will not be a breeze anymore?

Hell, yeah.

I don't know how long will it take but I like these changes! I created a human mage full heirloom and leveled 1-10. Normal mobs lasted 3 frostbolts and quest mobs lasted 6 or 7. I'm gonna enjoy leveling my zandalari troll

Deleted
    Nothing has changed in terms of combat, I was watching some stream of a dude leveling on PTR and he was twoshotting mobs as a prot pally at level 18.

10+ Year Old Account
    so with the changes to quests dungeons etc.

how long does it take now to level from 1-100?

im pretty sure that blizzard will nerfed dungeon XP in order to "encourage" leveling while questing.. so that the world seems "more populated now".. and since everyone is happy to buy some characterboosts im pretty sure that they drag out the levelingprocess just enough to convince people to "just buy a boost already!".
    and every whiteknight will agree.. because you can buy a boost there is no problem with outdated 100times played content to take weeks to complete all of a sudden because they want to give you "a better experience while leveling"... (sorry blizzard but your game is not skyrim where questing and exploring the world is actually fun.)

rip altoholics (i hope im not right)

edit: the first XP nerfs are documented on the frontpage.
    What? I am an altoholic and I welcome the leveling change, prefered to see the leveling journey take 70-90 hours played (relaxed).

I have 144 characters in total, 22 of them are lvl 110, 40 of them are lvl 100, and then the rest below is mixed. Currently on live, it takes about 20-24 hours of relaxed played time to level from 1 to 110. And that is if you're a real altoholic, aka. prepared.

About damn time they fixed the leveling a little bit, been a joke since Cataclysm started. If you don't like leveling, then I suggest purchase of boost or play a different genre.

And to the part of your post, conspiracy theories aren't permitted here.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

To me, blizzard is getting it wrong again. A HUGE appeal of leveling alts in vanilla was that dungeon / raid finder did not exist and people formed groups using global LFG and global LFG was automatically turned on for new players. So all of this meant i could be level 30 in wetlands and listen to LFG for groups that my max level toon might need. So im effectively playing both my alt and main at the same time. And if no groups were forming, we at least had chat because people were forced to join LFG.

Increasing mob hit points will not make it anything close to the vanilla experience. It might just backfire. But again, they dont listen to me.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Increasing mob hit points will not make it anything close to the vanilla experience. It might just backfire. But again, they dont listen to me.
    I don't think it's related to vanilla. My understanding (hey I could be totally wrong) is they've had to increase XP because you will *always* be getting the maximum amount of mob and quest XP due to the scaling. There will never be a time where you're not getting full XP now. So the changes I suspect are to counter that new balance. Probably to ensure it takes roughly the same amount of time as it does now.

I see no reason why Blizzard would want to make 1-110 take longer than it does now. That just makes no sense. Especially when they're encouraging people to go level alts in this patch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    If you don't like leveling, then I suggest purchase of boost or play a different genre.
    what did i say? "people gona defend it with "buy a boost"

leveling without heirlooms and without LFG takes enough time already. (at least you can skip some of the annoying questinzones now)

70-90 hours to get to the relevant content? as i said... world of warcraft is not skyrim where questing and exploring the world is actually fun. but i can just buy a boost right? because back in the day the grind in videogames made you go out of your or the games way completely..

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    I have an issue with videos like this where the player is getting boosted by friends. If your friends are boosting you, you should really be taking into consideration their time.

That said if you optimize your time (eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0oD3CF3XOk), then you should be able to do it in 12 hours or less currently on retail.

Looks like the changes won't change that much. From what I can tell dungeon grinding is still going to be optimal which makes you wonder why they are changing world scaling.
    you are right. why "improve" the leveling and questing while dungeons are still the best way to level?
    dungeon xp nerfs are still on the table since its PTR and everything can change. they already took a hit back in the day where they nerfed the questxp in dungeons. so even when its live they can still change it. and with the new empathize on making old content viable instead of making content in the current relevant Xpac because it saves time and resources.
    where is the problem that the actuall leveling takes place in the 110-120 zone? and not taking 100 hours just to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    I don't think it's related to vanilla. My understanding (hey I could be totally wrong) is they've had to increase XP because you will *always* be getting the maximum amount of mob and quest XP due to the scaling. There will never be a time where you're not getting full XP now. So the changes I suspect are to counter that new balance. Probably to ensure it takes roughly the same amount of time as it does now.

I see no reason why Blizzard would want to make 1-110 take longer than it does now. That just makes no sense. Especially when they're encouraging people to go level alts in this patch.
    you just answered your question yourself. the magic word is "time spend ingame". or for people with a life "just buy a boost".
    Last edited by mmoc1e65e16b4e; 2017-12-01 at 01:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Idk I usually do ghostlands in its entirety from level 10 to 21 and nothing gets gray. Eversong Woods isn't getting done in its entirety perhaps. I'm not including dungeon ofc.

But 60% is just a made up estimation from an "in progress PTR" in the first place so my example number doesn't need to conform to baseless math? Post #7 declares mob HP going from 12700 to 37300 at lvl 88, for that matter.

It could take a lot longer depending on how much more difficult mobs become. It's not just a matter of health pools if they hit harder and you start needing downtime between pulls or even have to start corpse running some. To be super extra clear I'm not for that matter saying "it will be 3x", I'm just saying I find it shitty if it does become significantly "harder" (context: takes longer) to level given they have a golden example of a pay2win option in their store by then.

And if you (not specifically pointed at quotee) want to argue for those who think they will enjoy slower leveling, there has always been an option for you guys: take off the heirlooms. Much easier and nicer than suggesting those who don't should start giving blizzard 50 dollars for each new character.

(sorry blizzard but your game is not skyrim where questing and exploring the world is actually fun.)
    You're fully welcome to your opinion but mine is that the journey to max level is actually the most fun and enjoyable part of the game. I get far more value from 1-110 than I do at max level. Probably because I don't raid. That's my choice. But 1-110 can be a lot of fun if that's what you enjoy doing in an MMO. Just like fishing for some is a lot of fun. We all have different likes and dislikes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    You're fully welcome to your opinion but mine is that the journey to max level is actually the most fun and enjoyable part of the game. I get far more value from 1-110 than I do at max level. Probably because I don't raid. That's my choice. But 1-110 can be a lot of fun if that's what you enjoy doing in an MMO. Just like fishing for some is a lot of fun. We all have different likes and dislikes.
    thats right. and thats why i leveld so many alts already (i like leveling and gearing up until to the point where updates are just so minor that it doesnt make a difference)

and just because some people dont like outleveling a zones they change my experience of the game?

i dont care if they improve the leveling while questing.. but this most of the time comes with a bad taste (which is nerfing dungeons into the ground so people get encouraged to questing) and i dont like questing in wow. i run dungeons over and over and while downtime i do quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    what did i say? "people gona defend it with "buy a boost"
    Because, what did I say?`Currently it is PISS EASY and extending it is needed. Don't like that you have to actually DO something? Maybe stop pretending you're an altoholic.

leveling without heirlooms and without LFG takes enough time already. (at least you can skip some of the annoying questinzones now)
    Leveling without heirlooms and without LFG just doubles the time, still too damn easy. But as content is created to both level in zones AND dungeons, thing WILL go faster. I've already tried running an experiment with quests and dungeons without looms, and it was still too damn easy.

70-90 hours to get to the relevant content? as i said... world of warcraft is not skyrim where questing and exploring the world is actually fun. but i can just buy a boost right? because back in the day the grind in videogames made you go out of your or the games way completely..
    You can't even talk grind if you can't handle 90 hours of leveling. And unlike Skyrim, you've already explored our world from end to other, if you claim that you're an altoholic. Even 70 hours of leveling is better than 20 hours.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..