Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Are foods engineered to be addictive a problem?

"As long ago as 2006, we had clear information regarding widespread, sophisticated efforts by Big Food to manufacture a food supply that was, for all intents and purposes, willfully addictive. The story, reported in The Chicago Tribune, was an almost literal smoking gun: food industry and tobacco industry scientists were collaborating to study the effects of flavor combinations on brain activity in the service of selling us more of both products.

Somehow, that stunning memo evoked little more than a cultural yawn, something I confess I have never understood. There is seemingly endless fascination in our culture with conspiracy theories, nearly all of which are nonsense. This was an actual conspiracy with massive, universal impact and dire consequences, and no one seemed to care.

We obviously needed, and received, another prod when much the same message about a food supply willfully engineered to propagate overeating for the sake of profit was delivered by Pulitzer Prize winner, Michael Moss. But here we are nearly a half decade since that compelling reminder, which in turn followed the initial revelation by nearly a full decade, and it’s still just business as usual. Rates of obesity and related chronic disease and disability keep rising not because of any mystery we have yet to probe, but because we seem willing to mortgage the future health of our own children for the sake of corporate profits."
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b05072e8b56877

Do you find this concerning? Why do you think most people don't seem to care?

Considering how much I see "moderation" and "willpower" used I assume most people don't believe ingested substances can be addictive as long as they're labeled as a food.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

People want to blame their problems on anyone else but themselves. You don't have to eat addictive food.

Can you give examples of these foods?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Is this food that magically only fat people eat the addictive ones?

If someone gets addicted to it while others don't, then that's a personal issue with the one getting addicted.

Everybody is addicted to food. Its serious. Try to stop eating and you will feel awful, and might even die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Deleted
    Lab Rats will switch from cocaine to sugar when given the choice. (At least that's what I read on The Guardian a while ago).

Sugar, fat, and salt trigger the dopamine reward system in our brain just like nicotine, methamphetamine and cocaine, so they have the same effect creating some dependence or food addiction.

What's sweet out in nature? Sweet potatoes, berries, fruit, healthy foods, but now the industry uses that natural, healthy urge against us. They're chemists who spend their whole lives working on the bliss point. The ripest peach in the world is not as sweet as Fruit Loops.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mlch View Post
    Lab Rats will switch from cocaine to sugar when given the choice. (At least that's what I read on The Guardian a while ago).
    I saw a study recently that rats fed a healthy diet then switched to processed foods refused to eat for 14 days when put back on a healthy diet.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Sugar, fat, and salt trigger the dopamine reward system in our brain just like nicotine, methamphetamine and cocaine, so they have the same effect creating some dependence or food addiction.

What's sweet out in nature? Sweet potatoes, berries, fruit, healthy foods, but now the industry uses that natural, healthy urge against us. They're chemists who spend their whole lives working on the bliss point. The ripest peach in the world is not as sweet as Fruit Loops.
    I don't think you've been ripening your peaches enough mate.

Deleted
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b05072e8b56877

Do you find this concerning? Why do you think most people don't seem to care?

Considering how much I see "moderation" and "willpower" used I assume most people don't believe ingested substances can be addictive as long as they're labeled as a food.
    Yeah it's called salt, sugar and fast food.
    It's only a shock to someone who's completely ignorant of what they eat. Stop eating garbage and you're fine.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I saw a study recently that rats fed a healthy diet then switched to processed foods refused to eat for 14 days when put back on a healthy diet.
    And it's entirely your fucking choice what you eat. So stop stuffing your face with shit you know is not good for you because of all the addatives, salt, sugar and fat they put in it exactly for these reasons.

Buy a big box of goldfish and watch it disappear in a single day and tell me they didn't do some magical science shit to make it addictive. Goldfish is basically the devil. It makes you want to eat more and more but are never satisfied.

Deleted
    Well.. I can understand them.

OP just google a bit about Glutamate. But check your sources or else you'll need a tin foil hat.

As a person with all kinds of "things" (autism and depression since I was 13),
    I can say that some unhealthy foods are quite addicting to me.

Whilst I highly enjoy really healthy food at my parents, I tend to gravitate more to unhealthy food when alone.
    Since I moved out I've gained a lot of weight and only eat healthy 2 days a week.
    Even tho I know that healthy food is way better for me, I can't seem to stick to them.

With nothing that really gives my life any meaning or happiness, I eat the things that would give me a "+3" immediately, with a "-6" later.
    Monster Energy is what I've been addicted to for 7 years now, drinking 3-4 cans a day.

But it's not only foods for me, I feel (and know) I can be easily addicted to things due to how my brain and body works - and my lifestyle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    People want to blame their problems on anyone else but themselves. You don't have to eat addictive food.

Can you give examples of these foods?
    Any and all processed foods that are laced with sugar and salts and are of lower quality by default.

OP: Yes it is a problem, simply look at when the food industry boomed and families decided to cook less and buy premade meals more. We are at a point that healthy food is more expensive than unhealthy food. The west is slowly doing better with government more set on increasing their population health, since it's a strain on a nations healthcare.

So now you can look to nations like India and see them going through the changes we did a few decades ago.

What did you expect from ersatz food with all the chemicals to make it edible capitalists make to create the illusion of prosperity in the masses?

Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    Even tho I know that healthy food is way better for me, I can't seem to stick to them.

With nothing that really gives my life any meaning or happiness, I eat the things that would give me a "+3" immediately, with a "-6" later.
    Monster Energy is what I've been addicted to for 7 years now, drinking 3-4 cans a day.
    I can relate. When I'm depressed I want sugar, sweets are the only thing that sounds good to me. Fortunately that doesn't happen as often anymore and I can sometimes curb it by eating fruit, but it's still my first craving when I start to feel bad.

I know someone who's addicted to soda/energy drinks. He's been trying to quit for years and can't ever manage to stick to it. I've recommended going cold turkey, but the prolonged consumption of them has had such an adverse effect on his body he goes through horrible withdrawal symptoms when he does. Migraines, whole body aches, etc. Stopping the addictive substance and giving your body adequate time to neuroadapt is the only real solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    We are at a point that healthy food is more expensive than unhealthy food. The west is slowly doing better with government more set on increasing their population health, since it's a strain on a nations healthcare.
    Unfortunately, subsidies in the U.S. are a real problem. Most of them go to sugar (I've no idea why) and animal agriculture. I don't see that changing any time soon because those are the wealthiest industries with the most powerful lobbies.

I can relate. When I'm depressed I want sugar, sweets are the only thing that sounds good to me. Fortunately that doesn't happen as often anymore and I can sometimes curb it by eating fruit, but it's still my first craving when I start to feel bad.
    I know someone who's addicted to soda/energy drinks. He's been trying to quit for years and can't ever manage to stick to it. I've recommended going cold turkey, but the prolonged consumption of them has had such an adverse effect on his body he goes through horrible withdrawal symptoms when he does. Migraines, whole body aches, etc. Stopping the addictive substance and giving your body adequate time to neuroadapt is the only real solution.
    Same here, the withdrawel symptons hit me like a truck.
    It wouldn't be that bad if it's just those.

If it's one of the only things that give that +3 happy/power boost, it's almost impossible.

I would say yes, if they're chemically engineered to be literally addictive, by way of the same method of narcotics. However, you can't say that's the case for it just being tasty food.

Deleted
    I would expect more regualtions to sugar than to alcohol if addictions were really the main focus tbh.

I'm just expecting somewhat equal treatment of all consumables.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I would say yes, if they're chemically engineered to be literally addictive, by way of the same method of narcotics. However, you can't say that's the case for it just being tasty food.
    There's a very good book here, Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us. They literally did engineer food to be addictive. One example is finding the optimum "crunch" for a chip. Another is the "disappearing calorie" such as when Cheetos dissolve in your mouth. And more.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    As a person with all kinds of "things" (autism and depression since I was 13),
    I can say that some unhealthy foods are quite addicting to me.

Whilst I highly enjoy really healthy food at my parents, I tend to gravitate more to unhealthy food when alone.
    Since I moved out I've gained a lot of weight and only eat healthy 2 days a week.

But it's not only foods for me, I feel (and know) I can be easily addicted to things due to how my brain and body works - and my lifestyle.
    Staaaaahp! The sugar or calorie part is bad (obesity and diabetes), but not the worst part about energy drinks. You are killing your stomach and your kidneys. If you can't cut them out, at least switch to the ones with low amounts of b vitamins and shit like that