Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    It is on HBO Nordic..

It was an example, though I admit I didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I mean, it's a loss of revenue for games. TV not so much. Movies, probably. But fuck it. I'm lower class, can't afford the movies outside a few exceptions or HBO so fuck it. If it's not on Netflix or Amazon, I'm gonna use TPB. I'm not trying to redistribute and make a profit, so I see no harm. I'm also not uploading any of this stuff, just downloading for my self to escape and enjoy the media presented. My conscience is clear.
    Technically, you are uploading. :P Unless you're a leecher, at which point you're worse than a thief. =D

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Wait what, when did they announce where Gotham was?

Amazing World of DC Comics #14, 1977

According to wikipedia, World's Finest Comics #259 confirms it if you don't consider the magazine in-continuity.

Apparently even Suicide Squad implied it was.

I guess this explains why Gotham City is so shitty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Piracy = illegal copying.
    /thread

Look at me I'm a genius! Now onto more pressing matters, why is everyone freaking out about Y2K?
    When i've seen this thread pop up today i thought that i time traveled back in 2007. I don't understand, were people living under rocks when this was relevant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Its stealing, if you want to argue its OK to do fine but it is still theft of intellectual property. You are lowering the value of the item by duplicating it and thus taking money from the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Honey, you don't get to decide what your time and ideas are worth, other people decide that for you. Welcome to reality.
    Actually you do. If you decide that something you created is worth $5, and you have 10 people buy it and 4 people pirate it, you have set your price and 4 people have stolen from you.

In your "reality" YOU are choosing to devalue something that someone else created by stealing it. That's not the way it works, legally at least.
    Leadsop - Beast Mastery Hunter
    <Godz of War> Sargeras - US

Leadsoprano - Gunnery Trooper
    Leadmello - Kinetic Combat Jedi Shadow
    <Severity Gaming> Prophecy of the Five - US

Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    something you created
    You didn't make the reproduction, I did.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-12-07 at 03:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Please use your head before posting. An example of illegal copying would be copying to sell. That is pretty illegal.
    Back in 1995, in Russia, literally all games you could buy were pirated ones. If you could get your hands on piece of DRM-free software, burn it to bunch of CDs, stuff them into a jewel box, print a face for the box and see them for 5$ - you were golden.

Yeah, remembering that, you couldn't even pirate for free back then in russia, you had to buy pirated games. Way more cheaper than current licenses tho, but still.
    Then local network software sharing came in and... everything is getting better from this point

The point is - as long as pirates give better service for fucking free - publishers will have really hard time at getting money from people. Especially considering recent disaster with AAA games quality and costs
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    I wonder how many people record football without the expressed written permission of the NFL.
    I wonder how many apples it takes to make oranges.

I don't give a shit about any law you make about it. You are not any more important then I am to decide I can't make the same things you make. Get over yourself.
    It's not my law. So calm down. As I stated before, you giving a shit is irrelevant. It is what it is and choosing to break a law, or to willfully not follow it makes you a criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It's not my law.
    I don't give a shit who makes any law about it. No one is more important then me to decide I can't make the same things they make.

Just like I wouldn't give a shit about any laws about slavery back in the day. No one is more important then me to decide I can't be as free as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It's not my law. So calm down.
    The issue is that copyright infringement by itself is not criminal, it is a civil law issue.

You steal a car (i.e. take a car) - you can go to jail.
    You copy a movie (i.e. NOT taking anything) - you get sued, fined etc.

Profiting from it is - but that's another issue.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Taking a digital copy of something does not take that thing from the purported owner.

The logic, to speak to OP, is that a pirated copy of a digital thing is a lost sale.

That, however, is false, as most people who pirate were not going to purchase the thing anyway. One cannot lose a sale that was never going to be made.
    This is odd, because most people who pirate proudly claim that they pirate first, and then buy afterwards. Or, if it's music, they download the music, but then go to live shows and like totally buy a bunch of merch.

It's almost as if they're full of shit or something.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't give a shit who makes any law about it. No one is more important then me to decide I can't make the same things they make.

Just like I wouldn't give a shit about any laws about slavery back in the day. No one is more important then me to decide I can't be as free as they are.
    the thug life is real in this thread yo.

10+ Year Old Account
    It might be shocking to you but a lot of countries don't have the same money as the US. Though you can perfectly have a normal living with the salaries here.

You just can't buy foreign stuff since it tends to keep the price it has overseas.
    That's why publishers should play smart game, like steam did at some point lowering price for games for post-USSR locations and locking the purchase there. A AAA game that cost 60$ costs ~30$ (2k rub) in russia on steam.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I wonder how many apples it takes to make oranges.
    It's actually a pretty good apples-to-apples comparison. You're copying something, which you do not have the expressed written consent of the NFL.

7+ Year Old Account
    Honey, you don't get to decide what your time and ideas are worth, other people decide that for you. Welcome to reality.
    Actually, the creator decides what their time and ideas are worth. Your reality is fictitious.

You didn't make the reproduction, I did.
    Assuming you're talking about piracy still: If I make something, I own the rights to it. If you make a copy without my permission, that copy belongs to me, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    But you are making copies for personal use.
    To make copies you have to buy shit first. Making copies of someone elses shit is not ok according to copyright bullcrap. At this point both the one who copies and the one who provides the shit he bought for copying are in the wrong

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    It's actually a pretty good apples-to-apples comparison. You're copying something, which you do not have the expressed written consent of the NFL.
    It's a terrible comparison, because the NFL has already made it's money for a given game through ticket sales, television deals (ie, advertising), merchandising, licensing, fees for businesses to be allowed to show the broadcast (you'd be surprised what sports bars have to pay to show Sunday Ticket games). The verbage of you not being able to copy a game without their consent (something shared by plenty of other leagues) is an extension to protect them in scenarios where people record games and then make money off it..

They know that you having a gathering at your house to watch a taped game is completely un-enforcable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Actually, the creator decides what their time and ideas are worth. Your reality is fictitious.

Assuming you're talking about piracy still: If I make something, I own the rights to it. If you make a copy without my permission, that copy belongs to me, too.
    No, the maker doesn't decide it's worth - people who buy it do. If no one buys it, it's not worth whatever you want it to be worth.

No, you don't own things I make just because I make exactly the same things you make.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    To make copies you have to buy shit first.
    No, I don't. I can borrow it from a friend who bought it.

Regardless of when those titles were created, they were created with the sole purpose of generating revenue through the initial upfront purchase cost as well as monthly income via a recurring subscription model. It doesn't matter that they're ten years old, that doesn't make it free. By skipping an upfront purchase and subscription fee, you're actively denying the creator the revenue which they were requiring in exchange for their time and labor.

The Game of Thrones reference isn't a very good one. Most people who buy the DVD/Bluray box set want it so they can watch it over and over. I doubt you're gonna invite your 10 friends over several times to binge the whole series and even if you do, the creators are being paid very well by the cable companies and networks so it's irrelevant. With torrents, you're getting a digital copy which works more or less identically to the DVD/Bluray box set except your skipping the purchase fee. No matter how you try to twist it and jump through hoops, acquiring a copy of something without paying the creator is piracy/stealing. Plain and simple, you are denying revenue to a creator who devoted time and money to creating a project.

It doesn't matter if "I wouldn't have watched it if I couldn't get it free", then don't watch it. How is that hurting you in any way? If your interest in the movie/game/whatever was so low that you couldn't be bothered to pay $5-$60 for however many hours of entertainment the product offered, then it wasn't intended for you. The idea of investing time and money to create a product which people will then purchase is very simple. The customer gets hours of entertainment and the creator sees a return on their investment and a profit. This isn't a hard concept. You mentioned WoW xpacs so I'll finish with this; if you don't think the hundreds and possibly thousands of hours you spend playing WoW is not worth an upfront purchase cost and a small monthly fee, then why are you even bothering to play? There are tons of free options out there without breaking any laws or denying a creator a return on their investment.