Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    "I have a friend whose mother"

So you have no practical experience in the job market yourself, I see. Please come back and tell me all about your weeks and weeks of paid vacation and amazing salary when you do so I can apply and leave my "garbage" company.
    He's generally correct. The more skilled a person has in any given field, generally, the more leeway they can expect from their employer. Autonomy is a huge aspect of professional life that most people don't seem to understand. When a person is worth enough to a company, the risk of that person leaving the company becomes so great that, generally, the employer will be much more gracious as to keep this employee.

In general, people that are great at their job can and should be expecting more freedom from their employer.

Quote Originally Posted by tonic316 View Post
    this call center pay ranged anywhere from 50k/yr -120k/yr . Your 10 days a year is standard for call centers. The standard for a decent-level job is way more because you are harder to replace. So yes your company is garbage and probably doesn't attract top talent with vacation time like that. I have a friend whose mother is a pension consultant for charles scwab and she got a one month sabbatical after working there for 5 years. All their employees get it from the janitor to the executives.
    Didn't think the ignorance could get any worse but you outdid yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    What was the stream link?
    You can find most Chinese wow streams here https://www.douyu.com/directory/game/WOW.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

Quote Originally Posted by Jdance View Post
    He's generally correct. The more skilled a person has in any given field, generally, the more leeway they can expect from their employer. Autonomy is a huge aspect of professional life that most people don't seem to understand. When a person is worth enough to a company, the risk of that person leaving the company becomes so great that, generally, the employer will be much more gracious as to keep this employee.

In general, people that are great at their job can and should be expecting more freedom from their employer.
    I agree. You can negotiate anything if you try hard enough. I have a friend who gets like six or eight weeks vacation because he travels out of country to climb mountains. In return, he took a lower salary.

My point was you can't generalize and say "it's a garbage company" because someone gets two weeks/year vacation. I've been in the field for 12 years and it's pretty standard. Sure, you can get more, but let's be honest.... if I was the type of employee a company really valued, would I be on an MMO-C progression thread right now?
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

if I was the type of employee a company really valued, would I be on an MMO-C progression thread right now?
    You could be taking a quick break while your unit tests are running? At least that's what I'm doing.

I agree. You can negotiate anything if you try hard enough. I have a friend who gets like six or eight weeks vacation because he travels out of country to climb mountains. In return, he took a lower salary.

My point was you can't generalize and say "it's a garbage company" because someone gets two weeks/year vacation. I've been in the field for 12 years and it's pretty standard. Sure, you can get more, but let's be honest.... if I was the type of employee a company really valued, would I be on an MMO-C progression thread right now?
    i mean you did say you worked as an engineer for the auto industry. even if you were the most talented, they don't have the finest record of valuing their employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    i mean you did say you worked as an engineer for the auto industry. even if you were the most talented, they don't have the finest record of valuing their employees.
    This is true, but SE Michigan.... it's kinda the main industry around here. Maybe I'm just too used to it to know better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by psukardi View Post
    You could be taking a quick break while your unit tests are running? At least that's what I'm doing.
    I guess? That sounds a lot more heroic than "avoiding paperwork," which is what I am actually doing.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Obviously while unit tests are running, you are trying to optimize code to spend less time waiting for unit tests next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Obviously while unit tests are running, you are trying to optimize code to spend less time waiting for unit tests next time!
    Nah man, I don't got time for that. If it builds it ships. They ain't paying me for optimization....anyway, that's follow-on work for more money. Gotta be smart

This is true, but SE Michigan.... it's kinda the main industry around here. Maybe I'm just too used to it to know better.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess? That sounds a lot more heroic than "avoiding paperwork," which is what I am actually doing.
    I have friends begging me to move to GM, but I'm like "but i get all the freedom now..." I also don't need to work overtime because I run a very tight ship. I also have a ton of sweet equipment that only i can use, and everyone leaves me alone to do my job.

So to the point, hey kids, there are ways that jobs can be measured as good or not based off the bullshit to compensation ratio. While i don't have a month of paid vacation, I am compensated in other ways that offset any bullshit i have to put up with.

Nah man, I don't got time for that. If it builds it ships. They ain't paying me for optimization....anyway, that's follow-on work for more money. Gotta be smart
    Well if it ships if it builds, why do you waste time writing unit tests in the first place? weSmart

Comparing compensation in a vacuum is just moronic. 150k in the bay area is basically poverty, while 150k in Virginia will have one sitting pretty. Every situation is it's own case study. Also, as others have already mentioned, there's more to compensation than just pay. Vacation time, autonomy, work-life balance, etc., are all important factors.

This thread should be renamed "working life, lets talk about our jobs".

I think Method will down Argus this weekend, I'm thinking Saturday night.
    Pally Collector, 785+ Mounts, 1740+ Pets, 715+ Toys, 34000+ achieves.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksnake View Post
    I looked around at their non wow streams and found some funny ones.
    Cool I am glad to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Hahyestwo View Post
    Comparing compensation in a vacuum is just moronic. 150k in the bay area is basically poverty, while 150k in Virginia will have one sitting pretty.
    Unless it's Northern Virginia, where it's just as bad
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvese89 View Post
    Who cares how fast it's killed? 99% of mythic guilds will take weeks or months to clear it.
    This.

People are pretending the fights are faceroll puggable just because the top players in the entire world are clearing it faster than they did ToS.

Hell.... At least half of MMO-Champ pretend they're pros actively steamrolling through 10/11 to compete with Method and Exorsus for WF, but the truth is most of them are likely still working on Normal Kin'garoth... If they've even stepped into Antorus outside of LFR at all.

Deleted
    Nova was stuck on kingaroth for 12hours and just downed varimathras and caught up <MEMENTO> losing kill by 11minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorsarri View Post
    You can find most Chinese wow streams here https://www.douyu.com/directory/game/WOW.
    Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Jdance View Post
    Cool I am glad to hear
    Meant to quote Warriorsarri's post with the link. Now I don't even see my post at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    Unless it's Northern Virginia, where it's just as bad
    True! Although Arlington is my favorite city and San Fran/ Oakland are trash heaps, so I'm still biased for VA

Edit: And just to be on topic, wild guess Argus kill before Method stops raiding tonight

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    This.

People are pretending the fights are faceroll puggable just because the top players in the entire world are clearing it faster than they did ToS.

Hell.... At least half of MMO-Champ pretend they're pros actively steamrolling through 10/11 to compete with Method and Exorsus for WF, but the truth is most of them are likely still working on Normal Kin'garoth... If they've even stepped into Antorus outside of LFR at all.
    Some people may think the fights are faceroll puggable, but the majority of the #raid2ez crowd is comparing the elite guilds to what they THEMSELVES have faced in the past. Highmaul was considered a fast raid, and even that lasted 3 days, and we got the drama of Paragon working on Imp before Butcher. Star Augur was a huge cockblock where we saw Serenity's brute force DPS shine vs Method's more controlled but less effective strat (only to have Exorsus win in the end anyway). ToS was ToS. The best analogy to this raid (Antorus) would be Firelands, but even there, the top guilds struggled more on Baelroc and Domo. The fact is, this race has just been way too easy. It's less interesting because of it. To me, the best way to tune is make it impossible and roll in nerfs progressively, Lich King style. the other way around just sucks.