Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Negligent storage.
    His is nothing more than a opinion on what should be done. Like noses, we all have one. There are laws here dealing with leaving firearms out for easy access by children. There are no laws here saying you can not have a unloaded firearm inside a vehicle. Some states do have rules on how they can be stored inside them. But none to my knowledge require them to be locked up in a safe. But as I have said before, I would not want to store my firearm in my vehicles for several reasons other than just them being stolen. For one, it can get damn hot inside a closed up vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    only took 10 post for someone to make the car reference.......sigh
    Well car is easy, though one could pick basically anything. I have knives in my house. If someone breaks in, steals one, then stabs someone with it, is that my fault?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Well car is easy, though one could pick basically anything. I have knives in my house. If someone breaks in, steals one, then stabs someone with it, is that my fault?
    According to some people's logic, you should be. Which would be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    According to some people's logic, you should be. Which would be ridiculous.
    But guns are only made for killing you see, so its different. Which is why if someone steals the Japanese rifle I keep locked in a safe in the basement that my grandfather brought back from Okinawa, finds ammo, and shoots someone, my fault.

Though I will be impressed they found ammo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    The logical thing would be to punish people who steal firearms, yes. I'm sorry I didn't spell that out for you.
    Well, we're not mind readers.

10+ Year Old Account
    But guns are only made for killing you see, so its different. Which is why if someone steals the Japanese rifle I keep locked in a safe in the basement that my grandfather brought back from Okinawa, finds ammo, and shoots someone, my fault.

Lol! What ammo does it use? Was it only ammo the Japanese used? If it is locked up in a safe, then they would say it is not your fault. But it would be if you had it in say, your kitchen in a corner. Or a baseball bat someone stole from your garage and used to beat to death a person with. All of our potentially deadly items would need to be locked up in a safe or we would be irresponsible owners. :P

Lol! What ammo does it use? Was it only ammo the Japanese used? If it is locked up in a safe, then they would say it is not your fault. But it would be if you had it in say, your kitchen in a corner. Or a baseball bat someone stole from your garage and used to beat to death a person with. All of our potentially deadly items would need to be locked up in a safe or we would be irresponsible owners. :P
    I know right LOL!!!!! Like how dare people be responsible and not leave their firearms in their car! The LOL at gun owners being responsible!! Wouldn't want personal responsibility, God knows that's asking way to much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    I know right LOL!!!!! Like how dare people be responsible and not leave their firearms in their car! The LOL at gun owners being responsible!! Wouldn't want personal responsibility, God knows that's asking way to much!!
    Well, thankfully the laws concerning this are not as harsh as you would have them to be. Reasonable is fine. And if it is dealing with children easily gaining access to firearms, it needs to be harsh.

Lol! What ammo does it use? Was it only ammo the Japanese used?
    Honestly I don't know the specific type for ammo, never bothered to look into it I don't intend on firing that one. It was the standard infantry rifle the Japanese army used at the end of the war, complete with bayonet.
    If it is locked up in a safe, then they would say it is not your fault. But it would be if you had it in say, your kitchen in a corner. Or a baseball bat someone stole from your garage and used to beat to death a person with. All of our potentially deadly items would need to be locked up in a safe or we would be irresponsible owners. :P
    I would buy the argument that if I had it in a corner of my kitchen and an in-home accident occurred that I should be held 100% liable. But if someone breaks into my house an makes off with it illegally and commits another subsequent crime with it I'm not sure why the onus for that should fall on me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I don't know the specific type for ammo, never bothered to look into it I don't intend on firing that one. It was the standard infantry rifle the Japanese army used at the end of the war, complete with bayonet.

I would buy the argument that if I had it in a corner of my kitchen and an in-home accident occurred that I should be held 100% liable. But if someone breaks into my house an makes off with it illegally and commits another subsequent crime with it I'm not sure why the onus for that should fall on me.
    Nice one to have as a collector item.

A accident for sure if it was carelessly in a place that was not safe. I was referring more to if someone stole it and then murdered someone with it.

Nice one to have as a collector item.
    We didn't even know he had it until he passed. Well, my grandma did but she'd never mentioned it. We found it stored up on a piece of plywood in their garage with some other things be brought back. We're assuming someone in his unit gave it to him as a gift as he didn't fight on Okinawa so wouldn't have picked one up himself. He was a gunner on the large landing craft they used to bring in the tanks and equipment and he was injured basically right away when the craft next to them was struck by enemy fire and then collided with the one my grandpa was on. But we'll never know for sure sadly.

A accident for sure if it was carelessly in a place that was not safe. I was referring more to if someone stole it and then murdered someone with it.
    Right, agreed, we were kind of specifying the same thing. If I'm doing something stupid in my house that's entirely on me. But if an item is stolen and used illegally once out of my possession the responsibility falls on the one committing the crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Negligent storage.
    This isn't someone leaving their gun on the ground or in a fast food restaurant. It was inside his car, his own property. The perp broke into that property to steal the firearm, it's all on the perp. What you are suggesting is requiring firearms to be locked or in personal possession at all times, which is stupid and impossible to enforce.

- - - Updated - - -

That would be in zero ways your fault. You can't expect to outdo all means of someone trying to steal your stuff, the potential to lose will always exist.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    That would be in zero ways your fault. You can't expect to outdo all means of someone trying to steal your stuff, the potential to lose will always exist.
    I was being a bit sarcastic with this example. Well, except about them finding ammo for a WWII Japanese infantry rifle, that would be impressive. I'm not even mad, that's amazing.

Okay, since you clearly don't understand the point at all, let me spell it out for you.

What is the point of having a weapon for protecting yourself if you leave it locked away at home?

It is completely legal to have a gun in your vehicle, for good reason. I have watched someone try to drag my father out of his truck at a stop sign before. And there's plenty of crazies if you're out traveling.

Why are you making such a big deal of this anyway? He could have gotten a gun a million ways, including walking down the street and buying one from a pawn shop, or buying one on Craigslist. It doesn't suddenly make someone irresponsible to leave a gun in their car.

And honestly, I'm pretty far left, I absolutely think there needs to be better gun control and better vetting. But arguments like this are just fucking stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    What you are suggesting is requiring firearms to be locked or in personal possession at all times, which is stupid and impossible to enforce.
    That is not even close to impossible, it's the law up here. When transporting restricted firearms (which includes any handgun), the weapon is required to be unloaded, secured with a trigger lock, and in a locked case.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.htm

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    And we should stone women who get raped. They should have guarded their vagina's better...................see how that works.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure they would. Bump the lock on the front door and then you can get into any safe with the rights tools in less than 15 mins. All locks and safes do is make it hard to steal something. That's like saying a responsible woman wouldn't have gotten raped.
    I wanna see you get into a good safe in less than 15min using normal tools that a simple thief carries.

Quote Originally Posted by Naadir View Post
    People especially police just need to learn to shoot earlier. No need to increase penalties that discourage people from owning guns.
    "Killing or seriously wounding more people is necessary for us to keep our guns"

Holy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by adamzz View Post
    I wanna see you get into a good safe in less than 15min using normal tools that a simple thief carries.
    Sidegrinder and a prybar and attack it from the sides where the steel is thin. Look up breaking into a safe on youtube. There is some great videos.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Sidegrinder and a prybar and attack it from the sides where the steel is thin. Look up breaking into a safe on youtube. There is some great videos.
    People seem to think a safe is a fail proof way to secure your firearm. Nothing is fail proof. If they steal your car and the firearm is in a safe, they are going to correctly decide there is something of value inside it and take it someplace secluded and open it. They are good for discouraging thieves which need to be opened quickly or around children. And if they are large enough it makes it very heavy to carry. In a car, not so much.

Deleted
    We all know the solution to this is No more guns. Then again we also know most americans are too dumb and afraid of change to ever accept this.
    Our only hope is smart guns with AI will eventually simultaneously decide to turn on their owners. Then we have a clean sheet to make some progress.