Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Can adults make threads that aren't pointless?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Can adults make threads that aren't pointless?
    Hi, welcome to Gen-OT, I see that you are new here.

Mmm well, I'm a millenial, I can read them, learned how to about 20 years ago.

We had those everywhere in school after all.

I like my clocks digital and my cigarettes analog.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    There's a lot of things the younger generation doesn't know about.... Tying Shoelaces, Telephone boxes, rotary dialing phones, house phones attached to walls by a long lead, (UK) 2p and 10p slots on payphones, Reading analogue clock faces, TV that used to shut down at 11pm, (UK) TV's having 3 channels.

That's just from me thinking for a minute, but i'm tired and need my sleep.
    why wouldnt they know how to tie a shoelace?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Do millenials know how read a clock face? Do they even teach that now?

News flash, 'millenials' are no longer kids.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    why wouldnt they know how to tie a shoelace?
    Didn't you know? We have auto tie shoelaces now!
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    He said ANALOG clocks are dying, if you have an analog clock in your phone, you should probably upgrade from this:
    Ah I see... but no they aren't there are places you can't use a digital clock =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    I know it was taught in Canada not sure about the us thou
    Wait, they taught you how to read a clock face... in school? Yeah, no my parents taught me how to read one. That and all the clocks in the school were, and still are, analog faces. I'm fairly certain OP is mistaking having a dumb nephew and niece with what all kids know how to do. My 8 year old nephew knows how to tell the time on a clock face, tie his own shoes, and wipe his own ass.

I'm 36 and I barely know how to read an analogue clock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Jayburner... Millennials can be as old as 35 now.Yes. We can read a clock.
    Speak for yourself :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Can't speak for kids. I can if I have to but I always buy a digital watch. I'm lazy.
    And hey, sometimes, you're in a theatre or something and a quick glowing digital watch is just easier/faster.

If I had kids, I'd teach them to, you really should know how.

10+ Year Old Account
    When she's old enough, I plan on putting an analog clock in my niece's room and telling her that she doesn't get a digital one until she learns to read the one she has.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

I'd rather a millennial who can't read an analog clock over a baby boomer who can't distinguish fact and opinion.

This whole thread reads like "but entire generation wont know how to use the abacus or the slide rules wa wa wa w a wa wa wa w aw a ww a wa w aw wa w wa a wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee". Get over it.

Light bulbs have replaced candles. the world is okay.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

All schools around here still have analog clocks in them. Kids will learn to read the clocks if for no other reason than to know how much longer until they get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Do millenials know how read a clock face? Do they even teach that now?

Yes they still teach it. My oldest was taught both in 2nd and 3rd grade. She had some difficulty with it, but we were able to make a clock at home with hands we could adjust ourselves. Also, we downloaded an app that made a game out of "telling the time".
    So yes, it is still being taught in schools and there are outside materials available to help them learn, to include parents. =P
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where I want to be and where I am are 2 different places
    I don't know what crappy schools people have gone to but in my kid's public school my kindergartener is learning that basic ability and my 3rd grader is getting into quarters and half past and quarter of etc... using just the face of the clock.

All these "millenials can't do X or Y" things nowadays is just people being so annoyed with their own failures in life that they have to use some way to cope with it.
    Blaming or whining like the turds that they are.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    That isn’t speaking in different ways. It’s being someone I hope I’m no neighbors with.
    It's just a regional way of talking about time. My family is from Chicago and they say things like quarter/half past/til, X of Y, etc. It's not hard to understand once you know what it means. Now, it did take me 20 some years to figure out what the fuck a "frunchroom" is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

My daughter who just turned 8 on Nov 26th can read an analog clock, is this something people aren't supposed to be taught anymore?

The funny thing though is that most "old timers" complaining about kids not being able to read an analog clock or write cursive, if you sat them down at a computer or tablet or iphone, kids around 5 years old will run circles around them. My daughter knows how to find and connect to wifi networks which is a lot more than I can say for most people I know over 45 .
    Last edited by ChampionChains; 2017-12-09 at 09:48 AM.