Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Service Tipping Reform

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-wants-...servers-740792

If the Trump administration has its way, the tip you leave your waiter or waitress could end up in the pocket of the restaurant owner instead of the person who served you.
    This is a very interesting move. When I was a server, I made $2.13 in hourly wages. I was completely dependant on tips as my hourly wages only went to paying my income tax and state taxes. This move could result in servers making less money. As well as offering owners a reason to either cut, or stagnate the wages of the non-tipped staff.

I know we have had various discussions about tipping here in the past, and many have wanted to see tip culture change, but I don't think this is the way we were hoping for.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    I personally prefers when the tip is just included in the price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does this really surprise anyone? The Worker earns it and our Idiot-In-Chief wants to hand it over to the higher ups. If that was done in reverse you'd have the usual suspects crying about handouts and how we shouldn't be stealing from people because they earned it.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

I didn't know reform and theft were synonyms.

I'm not okay with the current tipping culture.

Restaurant workers should be paid the same minimum wage as everyone else, with tips appropriate for execptional service.

For example, if you carry my plates to my table without dropping anything, check back a couple times to see if I need a drink refill or similar, and aren't an asshole, you have done your job competently, and deserve a fair wage.

If you are friendly, can offer recommendations about what is good to eat, come back early and often to check that I am doing okay, etc, you have done your job better than expected, and deserve a tip.

If you are rude, inattentive, slow, and rush me out the door so you can turn over the table faster, you have done an incompetent job, you deserve no tip, and I will complain about you to your boss.

Obviously, any tips paid should be paid to the staff serving the customer, not to the owner of the establishment.
    Last edited by Antiganon; 2017-12-08 at 09:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by halloaa View Post
    I personally prefers when the tip is just included in the price.
    I too would like to see tipping as a whole go away. Wait staff should be given a better wage and the tipping overall should be dead. Of course, if some people want to offer a little something extra, that is their choice.

I was about to post about this, and got beat to it.

Its entirely surreal that anyone believes that a corporation looking to increase its bottom line will "give away" money that's legally theirs for the taking.

The argument for doing away with tips entirely makes sense... high end waitstaff can be earning 6 digit incomes, while those in the back barely eke out a living... including gratuity in the price ensures that everyone gets paid predictably and "equally" to the quality of the bar/restaurant/etc.

The argument for giving the tips to the employer to "do with as they see fit" makes absolutely no sense. Except that "the other NRA", is pocketing big donations from the corporations involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Restaurant workers should be paid the same minimum wage as everyone else, with tips appropriate for execptional service.
    This would probably require a not insignificant restructuring of the the workforce (depending on how it was done). Most restaurants can't give that many servers enough hours to make it a viable job at minimum (or near minimum) wage. Some can get that many, mostly by working doubles, but just given the significant differences in staffing requirements over the course of a day, there would probably have to be some major changes.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I too would like to see tipping as a whole go away. Wait staff should be given a better wage and the tipping overall should be dead. Of course, if some people want to offer a little something extra, that is their choice.
    Ugh, the worst are all the restaurants popping up now using Square terminals and the like that ask you to tip while ordering and default to 15% or more.

They can just fuck right off. If you’re going to charge a tip while ordering just call it a service fee.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    They make more money using tipping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get rid of tipping altogether and actually pay the waitresses proper wages. It's a dumb tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    They make more money using tipping.
    They can build some base service fee in if they want. I also have never liked the thought that I'm tipping based purely on what I order. There really isn't any extra work the waiter or busboy is doing if I order the $20 sandwich or the $60 lobster, whether I order a $3 coke or a $10 wine. Same number of plates and glasses. Maybe if they could show me how they are doing $15 more work in the 5 mins they interact with me, I wouldn't mind it so much. And Until I ask a waiter what is good and they point me to the cheapest thing on the item instead of the more expensive items, I'd believe they aren't just being self serving(is that a pun?).

15+ Year Old Account
    As a european, being to the US a couple of times, the tipping culture is so fucking stupid to me i just don't get how the workforce of an entire industry depends on it. To me, a tip is a bonus, i'm usually rounding up as a tip, out of convenience, and if earned i'll give an extra tip, but it seems moronic to me that people aren't earning a living wage for doing a job everyone enjoys or even expects. Seriously boggles my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    http://www.newsweek.com/trump-wants-...servers-740792

This is a very interesting move. When I was a server, I made $2.13 in hourly wages. I was completely dependant on tips as my hourly wages only went to paying my income tax and state taxes. This move could result in servers making less money. As well as offering owners a reason to either cut, or stagnate the wages of the non-tipped staff.

I know we have had various discussions about tipping here in the past, and many have wanted to see tip culture change, but I don't think this is the way we were hoping for.
    This was probably what @Deathcries meant when he said "parasites" such as waiters and waitresses shouldn't benefit from the fruits of the owners' labor.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

You know what was holding our economy? Waiters keeping their tips.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    This was probably what @Deathcries meant when he said "parasites" such as waiters and waitresses shouldn't benefit from the fruits of the owners' labor.
    You sound mad. That's nothing what I said. Most people who also get paid in tips do not report them, and they do not pay their taxes on their tips. I have seen several people do this. Strippers are notorious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    You sound mad. That's nothing what I said. Most people who also get paid in tips do not report them, and they do not pay their taxes on their tips. I have seen several people do this. Strippers are notorious about it.
    In most restaurants now, credit card tips are automatically reported for you by the computer. Cash tips are still honor system.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Just get rid of tipping altogether and actually pay the waitresses proper wages. It's a dumb tradition.
    The tipping system is sort of dumb (though not without its merits), but for many servers the hourly wage would have to be quite high and/or the hours given would have to be significantly more (and more consistent) to not be a pay cut. It depends on the state, and on the restaurant- some would be certainly better off, but many wouldn't.
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2017-12-09 at 08:02 AM.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

When I leave a $5 tip by my plate when I leave and the waitress gets it, how is the boss going to take it from her?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    In most restaurants now, credit card tips are automatically reported for you by the computer. Cash tips are still honor system.
    Haven't seen a lot of strippers using cc. As for the honor system lol. Every person I know who gets cash NEVER reports it. Anyone who says they are is either lying or they're lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    As a european, being to the US a couple of times, the tipping culture is so fucking stupid to me i just don't get how the workforce of an entire industry depends on it. To me, a tip is a bonus, i'm usually rounding up as a tip, out of convenience, and if earned i'll give an extra tip, but it seems moronic to me that people aren't earning a living wage for doing a job everyone enjoys or even expects. Seriously boggles my mind.
    As as American when I go to Europe the lack of service is fucking annoying .. by having people not actually care to serve me since they dont expect to get a tip from he is beyond stupid ... I am always so thankful to go home where people actually want to serve me not stand around and fucking talk to their coworkers when I want something.