Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Heart of Thorns View Post
    Brother, Void Elves wish to protect the life with the use of the Void.

Demon Hunters and Death Knights already mock it, not to mention Warlocks and Shadow Priests. Artifacts soon will be a thing of past.
    and void itself not so much. Void just consume. And more - being paladin require some Code behind it.

yeeeeeah. they mock it. but they not try to call themself paladins. They are clearly aware that they are some sort of abomination who use enemy power againts it. Because all means are good. But paladin itself in Warcraft got this class established about "Light" part of that. Without any way for "dark paladin" come. Why? because paladins order was formed at first by human church (maybe before them were Zandalary Freethinkers, who have help from LoA). With Tomes and Dogmas about who is paladin and what he must do (first 5 holy tomes wich was given to first paladins eh?). BE already mocked it in BC when forced naaru to serve them as battery and it served them not so good at the end. Even tauren paladins were created by their "faith" in mother earth and her eye An'she. And sun even if it is harsh in wastelands... still one of the source of life.
    If energy itself oriented about twisting minds and flesh, and consuming all life... It's not a Saviour. Killer - yes. Defender? in some sort. (and by the way this elves were reshaped by the void. it can already twist their minds to not being saviours).

The way you want it require much more complex class system in this game (and complete retcon of the lore). And in current state it will almost as relaunching the game.
    Last edited by Zorish; 2017-12-10 at 12:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    But then we aren't talking about paladins anymore. A paladin is a faithful protector and a devout to the light. They are considered more of the light than priests.
    This is why small text change is required, replace Light with faith. Personally, I would not go as far as to say that they are more of the Light than priests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    and void itself not so much. Void just consume. And more - being paladin require some Code behind it.

yeeeeeah. they mock it. but they not try to call themself paladins. They are clearly aware that they are some sort of abomination who use enemy power againts it. Because all means are good. But paladin itself in Warcraft got this class established about "Light" part of that. Without any way for "dark paladin" come. Why? because paladins order was formed at first by human church (maybe before them were Zandalary Freethinkers, who have help from LoA). With Tomes and Dogmas about who is paladin and what he must do (first 5 holy tomes wich was given to first paladins eh?). BE already mocked it in BC when forced naaru to serve them as battery and it served them not so good at the end. Even tauren paladins were created by their "faith" in mother earth and her eye An'she. And sun even if it is harsh in wastelands... still one of the source of life.
    If energy itself oriented about twisting minds and flesh, and consuming all life... It's not a Saviour. Killer - yes. Defender? in some sort. (and by the way this elves were reshaped by the void. it can already twist their minds to not being saviours).

The way you want it require much more complex class system in this game. And in current state it will almost as relaunching the game.
    It can be used to protect.

Paladin is just a class label at this point. We have Blood Knights and Sunwalkers too, with their own Code. Darkness also serves life, just in a different manner. Light casts shadows and so does the Void protect from scorching heat. It is not out of question for the Void Elves to have their own belief system.

yes and this different manner we have DK, who use shadow and death magic https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.ne...icle_Magic.jpg and wich is much closer to "void" than light. Doesn't DK defend other too? nope - they do. By killing. You can protect your home by building the wall around it. Or you can just shoot/chop the danger. Oh and by the way - Shpriest not exatly "faithfull". They wander close to the old gods (in the edge of maddness), and taking power by themself, without crossing the line. Paladin by himself - he infused by it's power. Embraced by it. What will happen if you infuse Void Elf who already have much of void in him (huh) with more? I think his mind will just snap, and he will become lifeconsuming beacon for the void. Every power have it's stakes. And i am sure light too. You saw Zera behaviour "I AM RIGHT - YOU ARE WRONG!".

Quote from thousand years of war:
    The Light seeks one path and shuns all others as lies.
    The Void seeks every possible path and sees them all as truth.

Paladin must be devoted that he is right! That his doing it right! he can't question what he is doing. Void? well - you see totaly oposite. It's always questioning. You can't be faithfull to something like that.

- - - Updated - - -

and by the way - belief of Void elves? man they come from BE. Who were High elves. HE and BE strongly connected to the light. (by magic, naaru, sunwell or faith if they have one). They don't have time for other "faith" to be established. They are newborn. And more. BE are more "pragmatical" that thei NE brothers. And skilled in magic. VE totaly must understand that you can't mix 2 opposite powers. Especialy in your body. So even if they will create "void paladins" i really doubt this will hapen soon (their numbers too low, they have full aliance wich build around faith in light, and king who is priest)

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why small text change is required, replace Light with faith. Personally, I would not go as far as to say that they are more of the Light than priests.
    Yet it isn't faith. It isn't a religion like humans have irl. There is no god or great being empowering them. The light is a magic source. Much like Fire, Ice and Arcane in the the warcraft universe. The opposite to the light is the void. A void elf wielding the light makes zero sense. They physically stopped been able to use the light. Alleria became a paladin in the Army of the Light. However, after she started playing with the void she lost her light powers.
    Aye mate

well not totaly sure that this is "not faith". Cause paladins and priest were born not as part of mages. But there is something with naaru probably like "for faith you can connect with naaru and have priest powers". Or the other you can be mage and bend light to your will without "naaru switch on the way", but you are alone

10+ Year Old Account
    well not totaly sure that this is "not faith". Cause paladins and priest were born not as part of mages. But there is something with naaru probably like "for faith you can connect with naaru and have priest powers". Or the other you can be mage and bend light to your will without "naaru switch on the way", but you are alone
    The Naaru just embody the light. They didn't create it. They just use the same force any pally uses.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    yes and this different manner we have DK, who use shadow and death magic https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.ne...icle_Magic.jpg and wich is much closer to "void" than light. Doesn't DK defend other too? nope - they do. By killing. You can protect your home by building the wall around it. Or you can just shoot/chop the danger. Oh and by the way - Shpriest not exatly "faithfull". They wander close to the old gods (in the edge of maddness), and taking power by themself, without crossing the line. Paladin by himself - he infused by it's power. Embraced by it. What will happen if you infuse Void Elf who already have much of void in him (huh) with more? I think his mind will just snap, and he will become lifeconsuming beacon for the void. Every power have it's stakes. And i am sure light too. You saw Zera behaviour "I AM RIGHT - YOU ARE WRONG!".

Quote from thousand years of war:
    The Light seeks one path and shuns all others as lies.
    The Void seeks every possible path and sees them all as truth.

Paladin must be devoted that he is right! That his doing it right! he can't question what he is doing. Void? well - you see totaly oposite. It's always questioning. You can't be faithfull to something like that.

- - - Updated - - -

and by the way - belief of Void elves? man they come from BE. Who were High elves. HE and BE strongly connected to the light. (by magic, naaru, sunwell or faith if they have one). They don't have time for other "faith" to be established. They are newborn. And more. BE are more "pragmatical" that thei NE brothers. And skilled in magic. VE totaly must understand that you can't mix 2 opposite powers. Especialy in your body. So even if they will create "void paladins" i really doubt this will hapen soon (their numbers too low, they have full aliance wich build around faith in light, and king who is priest)
    Brother, you are perfectly right, one can defend by exercising prevention of many kinds. But I must disagree with the notion that Shadow Priests are not faithful. From what we have seen, demonstrated by the Twilight Hammer and most Void followers, they are true believers. If we go by this very line of reasoning then there should not be Shadow Priests among the Void Elves. I do think that these elves have it easier when it comes to controlling shadows. It is not as if they stack it up but let it flow.

I find the last word the most important: truth. Void followers need only this, to observe the truth. Questioning is merely a part of it, their truth. Chaos can be a fine stone when it comes to building temples.

They experienced quite a lot, more than enough to create their own beliefs. In no post of mine I have said that these Void Elves should use the light. As to mixing two opposite powers, the mentioned before Discipline Priests do it, Monks too.
    Last edited by mmocbf7d4bd671; 2017-12-10 at 01:46 PM.

Deleted
    I don't think this would work... what would a void elf Holy paladin be? It doesn't really make sense (priests have shadow mend, but even that damages the target). Void and the Light are like water and oil, they don't mix (same goes for undead paladins)

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, you sound like the PR guy for a Jonestownesque cult. Just on that grounds alone, hard pass.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

VE can have easier time to controll shadow "outside" their bodies, cause they are "similar" and even easier for them to reach "voidform" state. But don't forget that paladin imbue himself with light. And well... VE still not fully void beings. They still have their own minds. So - if you take too much - the mindshattering influence of the void will took you. Like it's doing with shpriests who delve too deep.
    Alleria CAN be called void paladin. But her power come from teaching, willpower and skill, not from faith. And even she can hear it's wispers.

Nor light nor shadow can find the truth. And chaos - it's demons and their Fel.

As i said in current state of lore (NOT only by class description, but the whole picture from all sources) https://wow.gamepedia.com/Magic paladins are Light practitioners.

I think, sister*, that it might happened because both lacked control and mastery over these forces. In time they might learn.
    *Mister.

I assume you haven't listened to the audio drama, then. It wasn't about mastery over their powers at all. It was reiterated quite a few times that the Light and Void cannot mix. It was a prevalent theme, which was why Xe'ra had Alleria imprisoned. At one point Alleria teleported Turalyon through the Void - the act of which nearly killed him, because his soul is infused with the Light, so touching the Void at all caused him great harm. It's not their own personal power, it's powers granted to them by others and contact with the opposite power at all is harmful. It's outright stated in there.

However, people have had problems with all of that. It contradicts previous statements about how the Light and Void clashed together to make everything else in the universe. Technically, using other in-game lore, Void Elf paladins would work fine - they would use shadow magic. But, with the newer lore, Void Elf paladins (or Lightforged shadow priests) would be harming themselves all the time. Not that there's anything stopping players from playing either magic school on a Void Elf or Lightforged priest.
    Last edited by Destinas; 2017-12-10 at 03:04 PM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

5+ Year Old Account
    I agree that an "Armed Cleric fighting for their Faith" is something that the Void should have as well.

I do not think it should be a Paladin. Or even a Melee character.

I think the Void should fight at range. Possibly as a rift-jumping archer class that stealths and teleports for high mobility while peppering their target with arrows and void-magic.
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    I agree that an "Armed Cleric fighting for their Faith" is something that the Void should have as well.

I think the Void should fight at range. Possibly as a rift-jumping archer class that stealths and teleports for high mobility while peppering their target with arrows and void-magic.
    I mostly agree - Alleria has a pretty cool and unique class in that regard that could be taught to others. But, one of the most prominent melee classes associated with Void stuff is rogues - though, not rogues by default. Lots of cultists and Ethereals have been rogues, for instance. But even then, they use lots of Shadow/Void powers, so it's not an exact 1:1, but I feel it's an acceptable melee class to showcase Void users.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

I'm fine with some minor animation tweaks etc, but making a paladin that is the EXACTLY COSMIC OPPOSITE OF A PALADIN is a bit much. I can buy 'sun druid that may or may not be using the Light (they seem to be dropping the Druid aspect with the sunwalker's lines in the paladin order hall in Legion) but not 'I'm a paladin that's using the void.' It still needs to be a paladin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Yet it isn't faith. It isn't a religion like humans have irl. There is no god or great being empowering them. The light is a magic source. Much like Fire, Ice and Arcane in the the warcraft universe. The opposite to the light is the void. A void elf wielding the light makes zero sense. They physically stopped been able to use the light. Alleria became a paladin in the Army of the Light. However, after she started playing with the void she lost her light powers.
    Brother, it is a faith. Unlike any other school of magic, faith alone can strengthen paladins in Warcraft universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by monopoly man View Post
    I don't think this would work... what would a void elf Holy paladin be? It doesn't really make sense (priests have shadow mend, but even that damages the target). Void and the Light are like water and oil, they don't mix (same goes for undead paladins)
    As much as the Light heals, it also sears. The same goes for the Void, while it consumes, it also restores.
    VE can have easier time to controll shadow "outside" their bodies, cause they are "similar" and even easier for them to reach "voidform" state. But don't forget that paladin imbue himself with light. And well... VE still not fully void beings. They still have their own minds. So - if you take too much - the mindshattering influence of the void will took you. Like it's doing with shpriests who delve too deep.
    Alleria CAN be called void paladin. But her power come from teaching, willpower and skill, not from faith. And even she can hear it's wispers.

Nor light nor shadow can find the truth. And chaos - it's demons and their Fel.

As i said in current state of lore (NOT only by class description, but the whole picture from all sources) https://wow.gamepedia.com/Magic paladins are Light practitioners.
    Shadow Priests literally use Void Form, with tentacles and everything. Ethereal dedicated to the Void are of it, with no body but pure Void. It maddens the weak only. But so can do the Light.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    *Mister.

I assume you haven't listened to the audio drama, then. It wasn't about mastery over their powers at all. It was reiterated quite a few times that the Light and Void cannot mix. It was a prevalent theme, which was why Xe'ra had Alleria imprisoned. At one point Alleria teleported Turalyon through the Void - the act of which nearly killed him, because his soul is infused with the Light, so touching the Void at all caused him great harm. It's not their own personal power, it's powers granted to them by others and contact with the opposite power at all is harmful. It's outright stated in there.

However, people have had problems with all of that. It contradicts previous statements about how the Light and Void clashed together to make everything else in the universe. Technically, using other in-game lore, Void Elf paladins would work fine - they would use shadow magic. But, with the newer lore, Void Elf paladins (or Lightforged shadow priests) would be harming themselves all the time. Not that there's anything stopping players from playing either magic school on a Void Elf or Lightforged priest.
    I'm sorry, brother. Please, do forgive me. Forum avatars, names confuse me sometimes.

If you excuse my doubts, but audio drama while a great source of lore, it also is a subject to unreliable narrators. Xe'ra, while godful was also a being of single, Holy mind. And the quote offered here before touched upon this subject. Holy Light is very much firm within its ramifications. It would not want itself mixed. I have never doubted it, and this is why mastery part comes. They were both unable how to control it at that time. I can only speculate that theirs is to figure out the balance and ultimately fight against both the Light and the Void.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post

As long as it has at least one melee specialisation then I would be fine with it. Faith is all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Dude, you sound like the PR guy for a Jonestownesque cult. Just on that grounds alone, hard pass.
    I'm sorry to hear it, brother. I shall keep you in my prayers. May the Lord's light keep you warm in its shadow.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    I mostly agree - Alleria has a pretty cool and unique class in that regard that could be taught to others. But, one of the most prominent melee classes associated with Void stuff is rogues - though, not rogues by default. Lots of cultists and Ethereals have been rogues, for instance. But even then, they use lots of Shadow/Void powers, so it's not an exact 1:1, but I feel it's an acceptable melee class to showcase Void users.
    I definitely agree that Rogues are probably closest of the available classes.

For a Hypothetical class, though, I'd be looking for something that is antithetical to Paladins. So lighter armor, ranged, and high comparative mobility. It still has to have -some- similarities, though, like metal armor and channeling power through a weapon, so I suggest bows and mail.

But "Void Hunter" isn't good enough. It needs more to differentiate itself from the Hunter class, as well. So: Lots more "Archer-Spellcasting" in the form of magic arrows and no Volley in favor of making tentacles spring up from the ground Death and Decay style where the arrow lands. How about a teleporting arrow mechanic where if your line of sight is blocked but you're within 50% of normal range, you can shoot through solid objects at your target (Might be a bit OP for PvP, though!)

Throw in some blinking, rifts, and the ability to go into and out of stealth and I feel like it would be different enough from Paladin, Rogue, and Hunter to feel unique.
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

Paladins are not just "armed protectors of any faith," WoW makes it very clear the Paladins follow the Light exclusively. The OP generalizes on purpose to try to rationalize void paladins, but ignores established lore.

If you want to make them a warrior that believes deeply in the Void, you can always use the word "Knight," like "Void Knights" or something. However you certainly cannot use the word "Paladin" in any context other than the Light.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Paladins are not just "armed protectors of any faith," WoW makes it very clear the Paladins follow the Light exclusively. The OP generalizes on purpose to try to rationalize void paladins, but ignores established lore.

If you want to make them a warrior that believes deeply in the Void, you can always use the word "Knight," like "Void Knights" or something. However you certainly cannot use the word "Paladin" in any context other than the Light.
    That is the thing, brother. It is in universe lore. Nobody can stop Void Elves from calling themselves 'paladins' and using the very opposite powers. From lore perspective it can even make sense if we consider they wish to do good. Case of stolen identity, for sure, but opening for darker, faithful hedge knights. It is not as if Blood Knights followed the Light, they drained it. While yes, ultimately them and Sunwalkers focus on the Light, whether it comes from impisoned Naaru or An'she, it is all about the Light. And I do agree.

Of course I would prefer Void dedicated class, but sometimes compromise is the only option. It is easier to change animations than to create a new class.

It shouldn't happen. How does a being harnessing the powers of the void become a paladin after all the lore give on the subject through the audio series.

Quote Originally Posted by wrv451nlp View Post
    Blizzard should go back to the idea of giving races a unique flavor for existing classes, With Tauren Paladins being like sun druids having unique effects, Spell Icons and Flavor Text, Giving that race-class combination a unique feel and lore,

Around the time for another Cataclysm styled race-class combination expansion, Giving certain race-class combos a particular flare and open up more justifications as to why those races can now be that class,

If they really wanted to make them a big deal, Could unlock them similarly to Allied Races, Following a quest chain as to why its possible now, Leading you to unlocking the brand new race-class combination.
    I hope they do! Been asking for this for ever!!