Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I am not a thief then. Do not use add blockers and see no adds on this site ether, or most I visit. Tip, Flashplayer is one of the worse culprits. Disable it and see a big reduction with adds.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    The question isn't if it is illegal.
    Nice nonresponse. But that's right, the argument is predicated upon a moral high ground that you don't actually have.

You think it is,but you dont

10+ Year Old Account
    When ads stop being a vehicle for malware and other suspicious bullshit, I'll happily turn off my adblocker. Until then, not happening.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    You are stealing potential ad revenue by using adblock. There is a reason so many sites have begun to force premium services as of lately to pay off the hosting costs.
    How do you feel about it? Should every site cost to access?
    There are some ads that show up on MMO-Champion and other websites I frequently visit that, when they pop in, sometimes it's a video that is not only loud but immediately starts playing on loading, and often times it's an ad that somehow literally eats up my whole internet bandwidth. I'm serious, I timed it: it took three minutes and twelve seconds to load Google's main search page.

So it was either using an ad block, or stop visiting several websites I visit at least twice a day, every day.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

You are stealing potential ad revenue by using adblock.
    Do you know what stealing even means? I don't get paid to use adblock.

As I always say, I looked for adblock because of how bad ads were on this site. The ones I get constantly on my phone remind me.

And no, I will not pay for premium and validate this sites bad behavior.

PS: Not the first time this poster has posted this topic. Best to ignore.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2017-12-11 at 04:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When ads stop being: intrusive, collect your data, have security holes, dishonest (try to pass themselves off as real content), slowing down pages, thats when I'll stop blocking them.

This site runs some of those very ads (or used to, I wouldn't know) where the ad is noisey and takes up the entire screen. I know for a fake its mobile ads uses tailored ads, which can't be tailored unless they collect your data so...

I actually don't mind ads when they are sensible.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Since when a pure hobby activity, such as making a fan site, _must_ be profitable? Nonsense. Also, we're not in 1990s anymore, hosting services and bandwidth costs close to nothing. So, no.

Although, I've seen some weird and pathetic attempts at stealing people's moneys, like from author of DBM addon. Guess what, the day he went crazy trying to make people pay for his hobby, was the same day our guild switched to Bigwigs and never looked back. That's how Internet works.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

10+ Year Old Account
    Then I suppose they will have to pass legislation to charge you with theft.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are stealing potential ad revenue by using adblock. There is a reason so many sites have begun to force premium services as of lately to pay off the hosting costs.
    Funny...I've never gotten a dime for using adblock.

Advertisers got greedy and amped up the ads. I white list some sites when I remember, usually ones with good practises.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity91 View Post
    Everyone NOT using adblock is retarded.

It's a big security risk that needs to be adressed.
    This.

I am not saying any particular site names here, but we all know whats up.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ads are theft of my bandwidth and they put malware on my computer. Don't care.

I have never saw an ad on the internet and said to myself: "OMG I need to buy that".

That being said, if sites want to block people behind a paywall, good luck to them surviving. Take what you can get, or fuck off.

Reported for trying to start a flame war.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    I have never saw an ad on the internet and said to myself: "OMG I need to buy that".
    Ads are mostly subliminal. Next time you 'need/want' something in particular, their product springs to mine. They're not 100% effective across all targets (susceptibility varies across many factors), but they're demonstrably effective.

Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    Ads are mostly subliminal. Next time you 'need/want' something in particular, their product springs to mine. They're not 100% effective across all targets (susceptibility varies across many factors), but they're demonstrably effective.
    I think ads should either be part of the content, or non existent.

People went to cable TV to get away from ads, and then they put ads, people have a deep-rooted hatred for ads. On a paper you can just turn the page, on TV you're stuck watching it, or you do something else til it is over, and on the internet you block it, or get very annoyed by every web site you click on.

When you pay for the internet, it doesn't include any content, that is up to content providers. I tell you right now, if this site pulled that bull shit that blocks adblockers until you white list, it would be fucked. There are most definitely better ways to get people to hear about a product rather than cramming it down their throat every click.

Deleted
    There have been as many studies that suggest advertising has no effect, or a negative effect on the consumer they're targeting, as there have been studies suggesting that advertising is actually beneficial to the sales of the product. As such, the whole premise is questionable. Anecdotally, I can say there's not a single product this site would advertise that I would actually buy because of that ad.

That, of course, has nothing to do with Amazon trying to make more money off of MMO-Champion through advertising, I get that. However, with more than one incident of viruses being spread through this site, through the ads, anyone concerned with their PC health will keep blocking every single ad on this site until this site starts to manually pick which ads it runs, and makes sure that all the content in those ads exists on Curse servers, and is regularly virus-checked.

They wouldn't be if you stopped using adblock.
    You are openly defending the practice of forcing a user to look at/listen to/be directed to things they didn't want to that can be obnoxious or even harmful. A lot of websites will automatically launch a spam site that tries to either trick you or force onto you malicious software when you so much as click the backdrop of a page. If I go to a site like that, click empty space on the site and a page loads itself then refuses to close and is trying to install bullshit on my PC, you can bet your ass I'll use Ublock. I don't give a fuck about ads. I don't want to see them or hear them. Every ad I see makes me dislike a product. It's intrusive and annoying. If you don't like it, you're basically saying "let them shit all over your browser".