Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    Europe is continent, not country. Europe includes large chunk of Russia until Ural Mountains.
    EU isn't a country either. It's not a continent either. It's a political union.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aya L View Post
    EU isn't a country either.
    True, but post you quoted was talking about EU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by killerlee View Post
    As my title says, My wife and I and my 5yr old are supposedly using over 600 GB of Data on our internet usage per month, the bill is getting outrageous.

The things we do
    I play online games around 6 hours a day
    she does online surveys/Web browsing around 12 hrs per day
    as far netflix/hulu etc, we maybe use 5 hours a day of that
    My Son uses youtube or Roblox online gaming maybe 7 hours a day.
    On top of that we sometimes download updates to games or software, etc but nothing to excessive.

We have 2 Rokus/3 computers/2 phones connected to the Internet but they arent always in use or downloading.

I checked my Router and the only things connected are the following items i listed above.
    I thought someone was stealing my net because my usage was so high so i changed the password on the router and the login to the router itself.

I checked with my ISP they said its all my usage, but i don't believe that. Am i wrong or right??! Where the hell am i using this at?!

My current usage for the month, we are 12 days into this month, we have currently used 377 GB, which they say on their website is equal to

101 HD movies (2 hours running time)
    or
    19322 Hours of Online Gaming
    or
    48305 MP3 songs

Help!!!!
    Thanks!
    It all adds up. Netflix is approx 3gb per hour of HD streaming, so 5 hours a day is about 15gb x 30 days and you have 450gb right there. Youtube is less than netflix but still about 750mb per hour (@1080p) so if your son is watching say 4 hours a day, thats about another 90gb per month leaving 60gb to make it up to 600.

You also have to count apps updating on phones, programs and games on computers, then there's operating system updates. I would switch to an unlimited isp personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Actually he's right.

EU countries combined: 4,475,757 km2
    Contiguous US: 8,081,867 km2
    Entire US: 9,833,517 km2

So EU is about twice smaller, but has about 1.5 times more population. That means EU has 3 times higher population density.
    European Union ≠ Europe. Are you sure you aren't british instead?
    Last edited by Photek; 2017-12-11 at 06:46 PM.

Deleted
    True, but post you quoted was talking about EU.
    Yes, hence my response.

Quote Originally Posted by Aya L View Post
    Europe:
    10 180 000 km²

US:
    9 834 000 km²
    EU, not Europe. Don't include Russia.

I have no problem with a limit.
    Someone will use 100T a month if no limit.

US is more expensive, because the cable company adds more "fees" to you whenever it losses a cable TV customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    Not even close no.

Netflix HD is about 3G per hour by their own number, more than double for UHD.
    So between 20 and 50 movies depending on the resolution.

The numbers sounds right to me. And I always am baffled about how awful the net is in the US. And will be worse without net neutrality. Good luck with that.
    Um, most people do not pay for internet by the gb. The norm is uncapped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

You pay for the amount of data you use? Can't you switch to a decent ISP?

If your kid uses youtube kids that is the problem
    Youtube kids plays every video in the highest possible quality and there IS NOT SETTING TO TURN THAT off.
    So your kid might be watching 4k 60p video for days. MY kid does the same and uses sometimes upwards of 300g himself heh.

its stupid

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Not sure how you logic that when all countries in EU and outside of it are part of Europe. Special snowflake syndrome?
    It was a bad joke about how some of them think leaving the European Union equals to leave Europe. Since it seemed he thought they were the same ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I mean I have never seen someone assume EU means European Union instead of Europe on this context. I wasn't implying non-members were less than members o_O.
    Last edited by Photek; 2017-12-11 at 07:07 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    As my title says, My wife and I and my 5yr old are supposedly using over 600 GB of Data on our internet usage per month, the bill is getting outrageous.

The things we do
    I play online games around 6 hours a day
    she does online surveys/Web browsing around 12 hrs per day
    as far netflix/hulu etc, we maybe use 5 hours a day of that
    My Son uses youtube or Roblox online gaming maybe 7 hours a day.
    On top of that we sometimes download updates to games or software, etc but nothing to excessive.

We have 2 Rokus/3 computers/2 phones connected to the Internet but they arent always in use or downloading.

I checked my Router and the only things connected are the following items i listed above.
    I thought someone was stealing my net because my usage was so high so i changed the password on the router and the login to the router itself.

I checked with my ISP they said its all my usage, but i don't believe that. Am i wrong or right??! Where the hell am i using this at?!

My current usage for the month, we are 12 days into this month, we have currently used 377 GB, which they say on their website is equal to

or
    or
    48305 MP3 songs

Help!!!!
    Thanks!
    Your computer has been hijacked and is not a "zombie" - not kidding. You are basically being hacked by someone using your computer as a drone to run denial of service attacks.

Same thing happened to me (640GB/mo) at work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have access to better internet ? I am in US and we use Charter for unlimited no data cap or extra fee cancer.

It's like 45/mo for 60mbps

The things we do
    I play online games around 6 hours a day (180 hours/month in a 30 day month)
    she does online surveys/Web browsing around 12 hrs per day (360 hours/month in a 30 day month)
    as far netflix/hulu etc, we maybe use 5 hours a day of that (150 hours/month in a 30 day month)
    My Son uses youtube or Roblox online gaming maybe 7 hours a day. (210 hours/month in a 30 day month)

or
    or
    48305 MP3 songs

Help!!!!
    Thanks!
    See bolded above. Looking at just the number of hours in a month you're using data, that's 900 hours. That translates to 37.5 days of constant data usage. That's excessive.

600GB for everything you're doing for as long as you're using it...EVERY DAY... doesn't seem outrageous. You're "nothing excessive" comment is not accurate. If someone is online doing something practically all day, every day, that's excessive internet usage.

Based on the 101 2 hour HD movies thing (or 202 hours of HD streaming)... yeah. Combined number of hours you're using a streaming/ video service of some kind that downloads and shows videos is 360. Whether you're using HD or not, that's still 148 hours more than what they say it would take to get to 600 GB.

The solution to your problem is to get off the fucking electronics. Letting your child stay on electronics that long EVERY DAY is horrible and you're a terrible parent for allowing it and letting Youtube and Roblox take care of your kid for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Aha, well okay. I have seen that though. That people assume EU means European Union instead of Europe.
    What do you mean "assume"? EU is abbreviation. E = European, U = Union. There is nothing to assume because EU = European Union. Europe = Europe. Its straight forward.

Whenever someone mentions EU, it means European Union, not continent. Assuming otherwise is as wrong as assuming that America = US.

Deleted
    What do you mean "assume"? EU is abbreviation. E = European, U = Union. There is nothing to assume because EU = European Union. Europe = Europe. Its straight forward.

Whenever someone mentions EU, it means European Union, not continent. Assuming otherwise is as wrong as assuming that America = US.
    America is a short-form name for the United States of America.

EU or eu may also refer to:
    Europe, a continent

Aaah the days when my dad was made at me because I downloaded a Winamp skin on our 56k modem that was charged by the minute

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    The idea is looking better over time.
    Yea and Canada is still pretty trash compared to the Scandinavian countries and South Korea/Japan, that's where we are aiming but we're a big country so the geographic challenges of the infrastructure here will probably never quite match what the more population dense countries can do.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

600GB is not that much... im using about ~1.2TB of download and ~400GB of upload on average per month in last year. I dont have any caps thought. And i dont download some crazy shit all the time

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost assuredly video streaming at high quality settings.

You would know if you're using a ton of bandwidth for things like vast or large steam updates, *cough* backing up your physical media collections *cough* or heavy modding via Nexus. Check to make sure your kids' devices aren't streaming at 4K or something like that. For example, I leave my S7 at 480p on YouTube. Can barely tell the difference on the bus or whatever on such a tiny screen.

Finally, you can look into software that monitors your net usage. I don't personally use anything like this, but I can see a chart on my ISP's site showing how much data I've used:

(I live in the Niagara region BTW; Look into Start.ca, they're fucking awesome)

270 gigs in 11 days.

So get this; That's STRICTLY playing games, watching YouTube (@ 1440p) and Twitch streams (mostly @ 720p) and watching "Netflix" (mostly @ 720p) via an android box. All of that takes place intermittently between ~3pm-12pm, so 7 hours a day across multiple devices. (Between 3 people, about 8; 3 phones, 3 laptops, 1 PC, 1 android box)That number also rises on the weekends if we're all home.

You can see how quickly it adds up. I didn't do any modding at all this month, which could add 200+ gigs in just one day depending on what I'm testing and installing. Yes, I've hit that much usage in one day before. A terrabyte+ of bandwidth usage monthly is not uncommon when rebuilding mod libraries or mass-installing a steam library on a drive, re-downloading a recent AAA game during troubleshooting, etc.

Luckily I'm in Canada and have a plethora of viable, capless options when it comes to ISPs.

All in all dude, your usage sounds normal. Typical, even. Your ISP does not fit your lifestyle, so seek change if you can!

And if you can't, don't worry, your ISPs are assuredly going to be fixing thi- oh. Nevermind.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2017-12-11 at 07:59 PM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    See bolded above. Looking at just the number of hours in a month you're using data, that's 900 hours. That translates to 37.5 days of constant data usage. That's excessive.

600GB for everything you're doing for as long as you're using it...EVERY DAY... doesn't seem outrageous. You're "nothing excessive" comment is not accurate. If someone is online doing something practically all day, every day, that's excessive internet usage.

Based on the 101 2 hour HD movies thing (or 202 hours of HD streaming)... yeah. Combined number of hours you're using a streaming/ video service of some kind that downloads and shows videos is 360. Whether you're using HD or not, that's still 148 hours more than what they say it would take to get to 600 GB.

The solution to your problem is to get off the fucking electronics. Letting your child stay on electronics that long EVERY DAY is horrible and you're a terrible parent for allowing it and letting Youtube and Roblox take care of your kid for you.
    Man, what a maroon. Go back to 1994, the internet is integrated in everything we do now. Being disconnected from electronics is the equivalent of being disconnected from society at this point. You should evolve, and stop spouting judgmental drivel until you do.