Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dual monitors + WoW in secondary monitor

Hello. I've recently got another monitor for my computer.

Currently im running my setup like this:

Main monitor: Taskbar, Winamp, MSN, IRC, Ventrilo, Firefox etc etc..

Second monitor: WoW in windowed mode.

The odd is that BF BC2 can be run in full screen on the second monitor without jumping to the main monitor, I cant seem to find the reason for this, only thing ive come by is that BF BC2 only got the close button at the top border (if I push ALT+Enter, it then jumps into a windowed mode), while WoW got close, maximize and minimize..

My problem is that I want WoW to be run in windowed mode but maximized in my second monitor, but then WoW jumps back to my main monitor for some odd reason.. Is it possible to run WoW in windowed mode and maximized, but in my second monitor?

Im using Expand Desktop as the setting under resolution..

15+ Year Old Account
    You're doing the exact opposite of 95% of people with a dual monitor setup. My suggestion would be to put the main application on your primary screen and the secondary apps on the secondary screen.

Yes I see the reason for this, but then I cant see my Taskbar, and thats what I want.. >_<

Oh and btw, the other reason I use the main monitor as main is that it got speakers build in, so I can watch movies on it while playing WoW on the other..

Guess I just have to live with it, but cant figure out a reason that WoW wont while BF BC2 got no problem with it..

---------- Post added 06-20-2010 at 04:21 AM ----------

Anyone can tell me why some programs got Minimize, Maximize, and Close buttons, while others just got Close? If that could be changed the problem should be solved if using my guess as the reason why BF BC2 can run in full screen on the 2nd monitor and not WoW..

BFBC2 doesnt support Windowed mode, while WoW does, hence the standard Windows buttons for WOW.

Did you try put WoW to windowed mode, drag it to 2nd monitor, then tick "full screen" & "Disable resize"?

For the taskbar, there are various app that can give you second taskbar on the extended monitor. I use DIsplayFusion Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    BFBC2 doesnt support Windowed mode, while WoW does, hence the standard Windows buttons for WOW.

Did you try put WoW to windowed mode, drag it to 2nd monitor, then tick "full screen" & "Disable resize"?

For the taskbar, there are various app that can give you second taskbar on the extended monitor. I use DIsplayFusion Pro.
    Yes, the only thing it does is jump right back to the main monitor wich is pretty frustrating..
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me the exact reason why some programs support windowed mode and not.. If WoW just acted like BC BC2 it would work fine :P

15+ Year Old Account
    BFBC2 does support windowed mode. also, you can find your taskbar fine if you have any application open aside from WoW, the only downside is that WoW running in window'ed mode but maximized cannot be minimized and thus no icons on your desktop can be seen/used
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Guess I just have to live with the "World of Warcraft" + minimize, maximize and close at the top of my second monitor :P
    Unless there is someway (probadly not do able), to change WoW into the same way BF BC2 works..

Do you count pressing alt+enter while playing BFBC2 = support windowed mode? Coz AFAIK, theres no windowed mode option in the game settings.

15+ Year Old Account
    i would consider that window'd mode, yes. it works functionally the same so i dont see the difference.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

If they just build WoW like that my problem would be solved.. Baah..

Normally a FPS game doesnt officially support windowed mode, some go as far as no alt-tabbing. You would encounter weird issue like cursor going astray, or suddenly switching from windowed to full mode and back. You can play in windowed mode simply because the game run on Windows, and its part of the OS's functionality.

Would recommend solving the problem in the only sane way. Get good speakers or headphones, and forget the sillines of using monitor's built-in speakers.

Also if the monitors are different sizes, some games will refuse to run fullscreen on any other modes than the ones supported by primary monitor which can lead into huge mess if you have two different size or shape LCD's in use with crap scaling.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Would recommend solving the problem in the only sane way. Get good speakers or headphones, and forget the sillines of using monitor's built-in speakers.

Also if the monitors are different sizes, some games will refuse to run fullscreen on any other modes than the ones supported by primary monitor which can lead into huge mess if you have two different size or shape LCD's in use with crap scaling.
    I got a good headset, the Speakers is only for movies so that my girlfriend can watch movies while sitting next to me without having to use the headset for sound.. Its rather crappy to fit two heads into one headset..

I use a program called UltraMon. it lets me put a mirrored taskbar on both monitors (start button only on the primary) as well as lets me set a keybind to switch whatever i have running to my other screen. iv used it for WoW and it works great.

Iv heard that windows itself lets you set a similar keybind but that might just be on 7

sigh, this is such an easy fix. set the first monitor as your main. unlock the taskbar, drag it to your 2nd monitor. lock it into position. play wow on main monitor in windowed\maximized mode. problem solved. i have a dual monitor setup and that was all i had to do. go into the video option and select windoed and maximized mode. the maximize, close and minimize buttons will be gone.
    Last edited by Hotsforyou; 2010-06-20 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsforyou View Post
    sigh, this is such an easy fix. set the first monitor as your main. unlock the taskbar, drag it to your 2nd monitor. lock it into position. play wow on main monitor in windowed\maximized mode. problem solved. i have a dual monitor setup and that was all i had to do. go into the video option and select windoed and maximized mode. the maximize, close and minimize buttons will be gone.
    WTF! Last time I did that it just moved the wow window back to where the taskbar was! OMG how strange!
    Thank you very very much for mentioning this.. Though I was 100% sure that Ive done that like 3 times..

Thank you very very much!
    Last edited by Lausten; 2010-06-21 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks :)

Sounds like you're asking for a solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place :P

Useless post I know, but you can always just play it on the main window or get some speakers. Those built in ones suck anyways... OR physically switch the monitors?

OK, i finally worked out what to do, least it works for me (im using windows 7).

So on your second screen, chuck wow their. then make your second screen your "Main Display" then change wow to (windows mode-fullscreen). Then change your first screen back to "main Display" this will put wow on the second screen still, with your toolbar being on your main screen. Now i hope it helped, cause it worked for me D

EDIT: wow. Didn't Realise it was such an old post. Oh well, hopefully it still helps.

Deleted
    Footnote: WoW comes with a setting to choose between Primary and Secondary monitor. Problem solved..

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm 'rezzing' this thread since I too have recently had a problem with this.

After messing around with WoW and it constantly resizing to my 2nd monitor. I decided to use Nvidia Control Panel to configure it the same way as windows was. (Strangely enough it was already set this way.)

However, it seems that just 'Applying' the same settings again in Nvidia Control Panel fixed all of my problems.

Good luck to anybody with this problem! Hope this helps...