How Well Would this Computer Work?

Case: Antec 900 Mid-Tower Gaming Case
    Power Supply: Thermaltake 850W Toughpower
    Motherboard: eVGA nForce 650i Ultra T1, Socket 775, 7.1-Channel Surround Audio, PCI Express, Gigabit LAN, USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6850 3.0GHz 8MB Cache 1333MHz FSB
    CPU Cooling: Intel/AMD Certified Low Profile, Silent CPU Cooling
    Memory: 4GB - 4 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz Peak Memory
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX 768Mb PCI-E Video Card - Overclocked
    Hard Drive 1: Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000RPM 16MB Cache SATA-150
    Hard Drive 2: None
    Hard Drive 3: None
    Hard Drive 4: None
    Optical Drive 1: LiteOn 2X BluRay Writer
    Optical Drive 2: None
    Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 PCI
    Network Card: Killer NIC M1 10/100/1000Mbps PCI Network Adapter with a 400 MHz Network Processing Unit (NPU) 1 x RJ-45, 1 x USB2.0
    Removeable Media: All-In-1Card Reader/Writer w/USB
    Keyboard: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard (Black)
    Mouse: Logitech G5 Laser 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Laser Mouse
    Monitor 1: Samsung 30" Widescreen LCD Monitor
    Monitor 2: None
    Software: None
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition with Microsoft CD
    Warranty: 1 YEAR PARTS & LABOR DESKTOP DEPOT WARRANTY
    System: Widow of Warcraft Gaming Desktop

How well would this play World of Warcraft (High Population Server) along with ventrilo and numerous addons?

---------- Post added 06-22-2010 at 05:21 PM ----------

Also, I can add more upgrades to the features if I wish too, these are the higher end but not top line features.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd guess 20-25ish frames per second in a 25-man raid scenario on low to mid-low settings. The motherboard is an LGA775 socket, so there's not much in the way of an upgrade path.

Quote Originally Posted by Yverén View Post
    Power Supply: Thermaltake 850W Toughpower
    Motherboard: eVGA nForce 650i Ultra T1, Socket 775, 7.1-Channel Surround Audio, PCI Express, Gigabit LAN, USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6850 3.0GHz 8MB Cache 1333MHz FSB
    Memory: 4GB - 4 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz Peak Memory
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX 768Mb PCI-E Video Card - Overclocked
    Hard Drive 1: Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000RPM 16MB Cache SATA-150
    Optical Drive 1: LiteOn 2X BluRay Writer
    Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 PCI
    Network Card: Killer NIC M1 10/100/1000Mbps PCI Network Adapter with a 400 MHz Network Processing Unit (NPU) 1 x RJ-45, 1 x USB2.0
    Monitor 1: Samsung 30" Widescreen LCD Monitor
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition with Microsoft CD
    The list looks like something of a LAN player's wet dream from 2008, and is really badly balanced for today's needs. Either some store is trying to rip you off royally while dumping old shit out, or you need to update your wishlist.

-PSU would be enough for 2-3 times more powerful system and is way overboard.
    -Motherboard/RAM/CPU/graphics card/Vista are all old generation technology and pretty close to obsolete
    -Discrete sound card is waste of money unless you know you really need one.
    -Killer NIC is also way overboard unless you know for sure your ping is less than 100 and you desperately need to lower it.
    -Monitor is too big for the graphics card, you can't run it at full resolution and all effects turned on.
    -150GB Raptor even though is fast is getting pretty much useless since 128GB SSD is pretty close in price and way faster. Also it's too small for anything besides WoW + vent + few addons...
    -Most people don't need BluRay burners, reader costs half of the price. And it's damn old and slow burner anyway.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The real question is "How much will this cost?" If you can build a similar system for a lot less money (which is likely) then do that-- building PCs is really easy, most things pretty much only go in one place anyway. I agree with most of vesseblah's points, this is basically a low to mid-range budget gaming PC, minus the random expensive things like the blu-ray burner and the Raptor. If you want a fast HDD, go with a small SSD, like even 64GB would work, then buy a huge secondary drive for storage.. it will still probably be less than a raptor.

I actually built an approximation of this PC on newegg.com. Some notes:

1-Couldn't find the 2X Lite-on burner, slowest was 12x
    2-Couldn't find Geforce 8800GTX, so I got a 9800GT
    3-Couldn't find exact matches for the mobo, ram, but the replacements are similar and probably won't affect speed noticeably
    4-The sound card and Killer NIC are so not-worth-it that I didn't even include them
    5-Couldn't find the monitor you wanted, so I got a 27" equivalent. The 30" ones that Newegg had were all over $1,000.
    6-Vista sucks, so I got you Windows 7. The full version is $179 for home premium, but $109 for the upgrade.

Currently this comes to $1617 (including shipping). If you're paying a lot more than this, it's a huge ripoff (and you probably are thanks to the much more expensive monitor, Killer Nic, and Raptor).. even if you are paying something like 1800 bucks for it, it's still not a great deal--you can do some stuff to lower your prices if you're actually on a strict budget.

1-Change WD Raptor 150gb to a WD Caviar Black 500GB + 8GB ready boost enabled flash drive (costs less, more storage, similar performance)
    2-Change Core 2 Quad to Core 2 Duo running at the same speed, unless you are doing lots of video encoding or other heavily multithreaded stuff. WoW only really uses 2 cores.
    3-Drop the BluRay writer for a reader.

That right there drops the price to $1308, assuming you have Windows 7 full and not upgrade, in which case subtract 70 bucks.

Now, if money isn't too tight, obviously you should:

1-Get a better processor, mobo, RAM combination. Preferably a Core i3 at worst, hopefully at least a Core i5. Ram&CPU are the most important thing in crowded situations, like raids or big cities. When I upgraded my CPU+RAM from an Athlon 64 - 2.4ghz + 2GB DDR1 RAM to my Core2Duo - 2.8ghz + 4GB DDR2 1033... I saw my framerate go from about 10 in Shattrath to about 50 with no graphics upgrade. I was using a Radeon X1950 and still got good FPS in raids and outdoors with almost maxxed settings (this changed pretty drastically for Wrath though, where the video card became the bottleneck :P)
    2-better vid card wouldn't hurt, as even the 9800 is a bit outdated. This one isn't nearly as important as the CPU+RAM+Mobo one.
    3-Get an SSD. Ditch the 8GB drive I proposed above and just get a 64-128GB SSD and put Windows + WoW + main apps on it, then put storage on a larger, slower drive.

additional note unrelated to the above

"You must post a few times before linking pictures or http" or whatever that error is

apprently the AT symbol, like the one in email addresses, triggers this unconditionally. So when I typed Athlon 64 - 2.4GHZ i mean AT 2.4ghz, but I can't actually type the symbol for "at." Took forever to find the problem

15+ Year Old Account
    This list looks really random, you've choosen a cheap ass graphic card, a quad core 'only' 4gb ddr, a 150gb hdd and vista, but you got a huge screen, a blueray burner and a 850w psu? Also you've got an extra sound card and network card :S

Long story short: this pc is a mix from expensive things you don't need and cheap ass shit

Conclusion: You need to balance your stuff better

Advice:
    loose the bluray burner, get a dvd burner, and if you really need it get a bluray player, they are waaaaaaay cheaper.
    Also, with a decent mobo you don't rly need an extra sound card, also the killer nic is pretty much an overkill, it isn't rly worth the money... well a professional player it might be worth it...
    a 30" screen is pretty damn big, if money is an issue then i would advice to downgrade it to a 27" or even 24"
    150 gb hdd isnt rly much, personally i would advice 1tb minimum @ 7200 rpm and get a SSD if possible.
    For your mobo and cpu i would advice a intel socket 1156 mobo + i7 860
    4gb ddr is enough for any game, but personally i would advice getting some more, esp when you want to run multiple heavy programs. Since i adivced a socket 1156 i would advice getting 8gb ddr3
    Like someone said before, a 850w psu is overkill, downgrading to 650w is adviced (corsair hx650w is a rly nice psu)
    As last i would advice getting a better gpu aswell, an ati 5850/5870 is my advice

I would almost forget the following: fuck vista!! get win7
    Last edited by H3ll; 2010-06-23 at 06:54 PM.

if that 30" monitor is 2560x1600 the video card is going to struggle to produce decent fps.
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe