Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

How to tell a IRL friend they are bad

I have a real life friend that plays an arcane mage. Her gear is somewhat decent ~5.2k gearscore level.

The problem, is that in 25 mans she pulls like 2.5k.

Don't want to link her armory and sell her out, but she is hit capped, and wearing PVE gear.

The rotation she uses is arcane blast x4, then arcane missiles. Is there something that i am missing, or does anyone have (helpful) suggestions?

I would like to help her, but where is the point that you give up and just call her bad?

If she is using that rotation is proper speced and has that gearscore, there is no way in hell she is doing 2.5k. Unless she doesn't use all of the following: Evocation, mana gem, arcane power, icy veins.

Like this: "You are bad."

"You suck in wow. Now, TITS OR GTFO"

You could not be a douche and not insult her for no reason.

Hmm. Well without and armory link you're SoL. It may just be her spec, but even then 2.5 is really low.

If this person is actually your friend, I'd suggest being a little more tactful than just "u bad".

Her main problem is probably that she's just not that comfortable with raiding yet and hasn't figured out the two keys to DPS casting: move as little as possible and always be casting something. She probably moves way too much to avoid boss abilities that wouldn't have hit her or takes breaks from casting because she's worried about running out of mana or aggro.

Also a good rule of thumb is that if missile barrage doesnt proc during the 4x arcane blast then do an arcane barrage then restart the 4x arcane blast. The damage from the slow channel of Arcane missiles is subpar to resestting the arcaneb blast debuff with a quick arcane barrage and starting the cycle over.

Ask her if she wants to discover the full potential of her class.

If yes, then give her some good advices on the different mage-cooldowns and stuff.

If no, tell her to go to mmo-champion and read the mage-stickies.

"You suck, here <insert page with basic raiding mage knowledge>. Study up"

I find it easier to tell RL friends they suck if they are actually under-performing.

BTW how is this related to Cataclysm?

Tell her to get her shit togther an PEW PEW

p.s is spamming arcane blast 4 times then arcane missles really that hard??? :S

Cant be right, seriously? 2.5k dps on that gear level, also sometimes isnt getting the hit cap best way to get higher dps

she maybe go hit over gear that got other stats and is maybe better

Leacl
    Just give him few "tips" every day . Like if his spec is wrong, be like: "Hey, try this spec out [link] it might increase your dps" Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zandarth View Post
    Now, TITS OR GTFO"
    Roflmao.
    It's hard, I have a friend who thinks he's god on his hunter, but melees more then he shoots.
    Sometimes you just gotta laugh and move on.

check to make sure the spells are max rank and that the casts are happening back to back. cooldowns are important, but "staying busy" is much more important. again we can't see the gear but it's possible the stats may be mis-prioritized. arcane heavily favors haste, so maybe look into that.
    if the spells are max rank, the gear is good, the rotation is solid, there's no excuse for low dps apart from very extreme boss mechanics.
    and yes, i see a LOT of level 80s out there running around with low rank spells
    <3 rankwatch

Is he hit cap? He may be very low on hit so he keeps missing and losing his Arcane Blast stacks or maybe he or she is a bit slow and doesnt cast them fast enough so loses stacks which could explain it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard this story way to much lol..

You can be helpful and try to help her improve her dps. Its hard to tell someone their not good at a game without insulting them.

is she using max ranks of her spells?

Link her this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juzehizq1JQ

In a more serious way though. If she really consider you her friend, she would not be mad if you tell her in a kind way that she's underperforming. Great way to:

A: See if she really considers you a friend

B: See if she wants to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by dakeshi View Post
    Link her this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juzehizq1JQ

In a more serious way though. If she really consider you her friend, she would not be mad if you tell her in a kind way that she's underperforming. Great way to:

A: See if she really considers you a friend

B: See if she wants to improve.
    C: Get "closer". *Wink, wink*