Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Final Fantasy XIV vs WoW:Cataclysm

Simple as the thread title - what do you guys think? This choice is killing my brain! I'm more of a WoW fan at heart, but I also played a ton of FFXI in my younger dies, and I'm mostly enticed by a fresh start.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritbeast View Post
    Simple as the thread title - what do you guys think? This choice is killing my brain! I'm more of a WoW fan at heart, but I also played a ton of FFXI in my younger dies, and I'm mostly enticed by a fresh start.
    I've been playing WoW since it's launch and for last 3 years 3/4 of my playing has been jumping around in Dalaran or grinding gold.. .

Idk whatever people say I've preordered FFXIV collector's edition and I won't be buying Cataclysm.

But really if we have to weigh the pros and cons.. well...

Wow. Pros: Raiding, Arenas,
    Cons: raiding and arenas don't really occupy you for enough time. Battlegrounds are shit, gold farming is boring and anal spam on trade is annoying the shit out of me. Too much balancing has made the battlegrounds Rock paper scissors game.. and they're trying to keep people's interest with cheap achievements and recycling same raid with "heroic mode" so people don't need "new content."

Also I'm disgusted with their tactic of making something OP so people would keep their interest in it and then hammering it to the ground (like death knights at the start of WOTLK).

Well, there isn't much we know about FFXIV since they haven't released any of the endgame on Beta and we haven't seen any (Excepts 1 ) spell that will be in game.... but here it goes FFXIV pros: From what I dug from the website, the game will have fantastic final fantasy bestiary, extremely detailed creatures and the abilities I saw on e3 2010 video seemed pretty intense (creature abilities).

The class system seems like something new rather than recycling something others have done recently (definitely a + for that) and Final Fantasy has always had the best and most in depth character development in the video game history.

The Graphics, well it shouldn't matter that much but I like the style and detail of those graphics we've seen... Also I'm looking forward to seeing the avatars / Espers / summons / GFs as enemies in game.. the e3 trailer gave us a little taste of that. Bahamut, Ifrit, Shiva and Co. have been one of the most epic things I've encountered while playing role games, it's always a pleasure to watch the animations in ff vii and viii and IX when you summon one.

FFXIV is going to be a strictly lore based game as was FFXI, and well if you've played FFXI you know that we can expect a lot of expansions and fast from Square Enix (unlike blizzard slow content creating)

Moogles, Chocobos, LALAFEL! what more can we say? Puny, cute, fluffy! ++ they have improved solo play

And we can expect a lot of stuff to do other than the main plot, after all it's a Final Fantasy.

Cons: Well, I've heard the battle system was a bit stiff in Alpha, but can't really rely on that. high system requirements, but that is easily avoidable if you have a console...

I hope they really succeed with this one.
    Last edited by mmocf0c1a2ac32; 2010-07-05 at 10:22 PM.

I hope some more details come out soon. If I was to play, I'd have to make sure to get the collectors edition and play when the came comes out - a big reason I'd be doing this is so I could be with a game from Day 1!

Deleted
    I hope some more details come out soon. If I was to play, I'd have to make sure to get the collectors edition and play when the came comes out - a big reason I'd be doing this is so I could be with a game from Day 1!
    Heh don't forget the free authenticator and buddy pass :P actually I'm getting it so I can get my friend to play it with the buddy pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Heh don't forget the free authenticator and buddy pass :P actually I'm getting it so I can get my friend to play it with the buddy pass.
    Do you think that buddy pass will be usable from the 22nd, or will you have to wait till the 30th for the general release? My brothers getting the collectors edition I'm sure, so maybe I can just use that and if I'm addicted buy the game from there?

Deleted

Question

Do you think that buddy pass will be usable from the 22nd, or will you have to wait till the 30th for the general release? My brothers getting the collectors edition I'm sure, so maybe I can just use that and if I'm addicted buy the game from there?
    There's no info on that.. but I doubt that buddy pass can be used before 30th.

WoW>Final Fantasy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    WoW>Final Fantasy
    People who can still say that fail hard.

Not even a contest. The cinematics and the graphics look gorgeous for FFXIV, but after watching some of the gameplay vids, looks to be an absolute snoozefest, just like FFXI was. Sorry, but WoW>Final Fantasy this time.

EDIT: Noting that FFXI was a snoozefest for me, can't speak for everybody of course.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2010-07-06 at 11:43 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Not even a contest. The cinematics and the graphics look gorgeous for FFXIV, but after watching some of the gameplay vids, looks to be an absolute snoozefest, just like FFXI was. Sorry, but WoW>Final Fantasy this time.

EDIT: Noting that FFXI was a snoozefest for me, can't speak for everybody of course.
    /facepalm Alpha gameplay

Anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtGCfz5v1Eg <- that doesn't look like a snoozefest? /roflmao

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to pre-order this game soon and prolly just cancel my WoW subscription, only thing that's keeping me on WoW at the moment is Battlegrounds/Arena.. other then that I have no interest in the other aspects of the game, no offense to all your WoW fanboys

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trematode View Post
    I'm going to pre-order this game soon and prolly just cancel my WoW subscription, only thing that's keeping me on WoW at the moment is Battlegrounds/Arena.. other then that I have no interest in the other aspects of the game, no offense to all your WoW fanboys
    Same here, and most of the people I know / people in the guilds I've been don't have anything to do outside these activities.

Developers have already said they have used WoW as a model for building their game so expect to see a lot of elements from WoW built onto their game. With that in mind, I can't wait. Final Fantasy for the most part usually doesn't disappoint...and the mythology and lore they use in any of their games completely blows anything from the Warcraft universe out of the water. I hope the world of XIV is the same.

I will be trying both though, but I feel that WoW at best might be on its last leg for me. New changes to old zones and what not might be fun for a little bit, but after 5 years of playing...it might not be enough.

WoW has been fun, but now it's time to move on

Cata without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    /facepalm Alpha gameplay

Anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtGCfz5v1Eg <- that doesn't look like a snoozefest? /roflmao
    That is a random video made by a person that almost looks like they went out of their way to make it look as boring as possible. They spend 5 minutes basically running through the emptiest areas they can find. Idiotic comparison. Seriously. That's like if I wanted to show the gameplay for the latest Call of Duty, and did it by firing at a wall until my magazine was empty, and then reloading, and repeating the process for five minutes.

They all but confirmed at E3 for FFXIV that the gameplay is going to share a lot of similarities to FFXI, namely the whole 'action point' waiting thing. It makes combat slow... methodical.. and while some people may like this, I find it boring as hell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    That is a random video made by a person that almost looks like they went out of their way to make it look as boring as possible. They spend 5 minutes basically running through the emptiest areas they can find. Idiotic comparison. Seriously. That's like if I wanted to show the gameplay for the latest Call of Duty, and did it by firing at a wall until my magazine was empty, and then reloading, and repeating the process for five minutes.

They all but confirmed at E3 for FFXIV that the gameplay is going to share a lot of similarities to FFXI, namely the whole 'action point' waiting thing. It makes combat slow... methodical.. and while some people may like this, I find it boring as hell.
    Didn't they ditch that waiting "thing" from alpha -> beta? And the whole point of that video was that you can't find "FFXIV gameplay" with FFXIV endgame or past time in it. That Wow video represents wow exactly as it is as average wow gameplay. And even if they didn't "remove it" it was something like the "global cooldown" that we know in wow after they tuned it down.

Oh and what you call idiotic comparison I call an idiotic videogame.
    Last edited by mmocf0c1a2ac32; 2010-07-07 at 08:41 AM.

I don't know, haven't tried any of them
    Pandaren Warrior - Lv 95, full T17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonus View Post
    Since this was early in the patch, we decided to go with the 4 tank strat. We ask him to go tank Lord Mograine. He then instantly tells us that "he cannot tank the godfather of DK's, it wouldnt be right to raise my axe against him". He instantly gquits and hearths out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtulu View Post
    I don't know, haven't tried any of them
    heh :P best opinion on this thread by far

Don't really like FFXIV so far. That may be because I am addicted to XIII. I just loved that game <3

Still. You really cannot compare those two.