Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Wow burned my laptop!

I played wow on a laptop (apple) and after 2-3 moths it crashed in wow (i was in gurubashi trying to loot chest) and then I found out that the graphic chipset was burned because of overheating.
    I want to know if other people had problems with laptops and pc because of wow.

Deleted
    your blaming wow because your laptop broke? seriously? it was probs overheating because you had the fans blocked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-ST. View Post
    I played wow on a laptop (apple) and after 2-3 moths it crashed in wow (i was in gurubashi trying to loot chest) and then I found out that the graphic chipset was burned because of overheating.
    There are many things that might have happend to your computer.
    And many parts both Hardware and software that might have been the problem.

"Viruses" Often overwork your cpu and cause it to burn out.
    "Improper cooling" A common problem with laptops being used to game for long hours.
    "Malfunctions in hardware" The laptop you used might have been used as a demo in the store you got it from
    The computer might be second hand and if so is used by another person maybe who does not care for it well.
    "Age/over-use" Sometimes a computer is just too old or has been on too long and its just its time to die.

Other then this you may have a problem with a game, like a virus some games like starcraft 2 currently have issues related to overheating a cpu and killing a pc, Salvage what still works and replace if posible what is broken.

But go for a desktop to game on not a laptop.

No.
    But if you really want to play safe, use the following commands in game:
    /console maxFPS 30
    /console maxFPSBk 0

The first sets the maximum fps in game, the second when you alt+tab out. You can change your numbers as you see fit.

ProTip: don't block the air vents, complain to the manufacturer for making a video card with no emergency shutdown option, don't block your air vents, buy a notebook cooler (if you buy a good one, they are pretty good)...

10+ Year Old Account
    " Wow burned my laptop!"

No, you did yourself.

There are much better programs that can overheat your graphics card, other than wow or starcraft2, like FurMark. If however a software can overheat your gpu to the point that it fries, it's the manufacturer's fault for not implementing a heat-triggered throttle/shutdown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-ST. View Post
    Found your problem.

Wow gave my mum the clap! Dude we should totally form a group that fights against WoW.

Not as opposition though, as competition!

Yes thats right friend, we should go round setting fire to people and giving them the clap.

The cooling on apple laptops has been inadequate for years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiglo View Post
    Found your problem.
    This.
    01/01/07 since backwards threads reading / "The day EU trolled Blizzard". 22/02/11 Peace out.

WoW is not meant to be played on a laptop. Because no game has been made to be played on a laptop. The astonishingly limited space for air to be vented and the limited to no options for external/additional cooling makes laptops an obsolete platform for gaming.

Do not ever do that. Your laptop will 100% burn down to its frames.

Found your problem.
    Don't hate on apple, wow runs fine on my brand new macbook pro with an i7 processor and 330m card, 4g ram, 1680x1050 display all on ultra settings, he probably has one of the cheapest Macs that his parents could afford judging on his typing and lack of knowledge of computers.

Deleted
    You have no idea how many laptops I've seen get burnt out by wow at my workplace. I have to try and fix these little fuckers. It's mental !

Also.. Remember to take out the battery when the laptop is plugged to the wall.. Helps a shitload on overheating..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty View Post
    Also.. Remember to take out the battery when the laptop is plugged to the wall.. Helps a shitload on overheating..
    Also increases battery life I might add

I run wow and sc2 on a laptop, I don't even feel heat coming from the vents. Depends on the manufacturers cooling set up. @OP, I would be willing to bet you had a nice layer of dust covering all the vents. You need to clean it out once in a while. I just take a vacuum and suck the dust out every other month or so. not to hard to keep it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by sarethen View Post
    Also increases battery life I might add
    Only if the battery charging circuit is designed by retarded monkeys. (To be fair, it's often the case)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker View Post
    Don't hate on apple, wow runs fine on my brand new macbook pro with an i7 processor and 330m card, 4g ram, 1680x1050 display all on ultra settings, he probably has one of the cheapest Macs that his parents could afford judging on his typing and lack of knowledge of computers.
    You be hatin' too much, moron. (=

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been gaming on my Toshiba Satellite L505 going on for 4 months now and it's been workin fine. It gets a little hot at times but that's only when I'm playing for long hours. (I should prolly buy an external cooling system soon) But other then that I would go for a different brand of laptop. Apple isn't all that great. Check into HP or Toshiba if your hurting on money.

---------- Post added 2010-08-05 at 12:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Patty View Post
    Good idea. I never actually thot about that. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Found your problem.
    Been playing WoW on an Apple for years now. You Windows users are just jealous not having an amazing free recorder built in.