Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Guide: How to tame the oil stained wolf

So we've all seen the oil stained wolf out in Borean Tundra, and probably a lot of us tried to tame the wolves as well only to end up with a normal grey looking worg. Well the trick is out, it can be done, here is a guide on how to tame the oil stained wolf so that it keeps it's oil slicked coating!

EDIT: updated this tame as of 4.0.1. Go to 3:40 if you are level 80 with decent haste to see the tame. If you are low leveled (72-78), use the ice trap method.
    Last edited by Zeilla8; 2010-10-26 at 01:48 AM.

WoW Vlogs and Cooking Videos on YouTube. Click Below!
    http://www.youtube.com/Zeilla8

Deleted
    Slick!

Pun intended.

I avoided borean on most of my toons so heres hoping my hunter still has this chain available, I'll be sure to try it if so.

BP? I see what you did there. I'm not a fan of the skin itself, but trick/skill tames are always fun =)

10+ Year Old Account
    whoa thanks, was just thinking if this was possible the other day! =]
    An elephant never forgets, but i forget what the elephant remembers....

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the information, that's awesome! I wish I were able to go out and get one. Unfortunately I'm a horde with no allies friends.

Would be sweet to get this, unfortunately alliance on my server is immensely uncommon. I'd have to like level my own alliance just to pull this off.

15+ Year Old Account
    i love your videos. it sucks that i cant train him b.c i am horde and all my ally friends have already done the quest.

Really hoping for some cata beta videos.

Deleted
    Nice Work

15+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty cool. I figured it was exactly like that (throw the meat for that quest, freeze the wolf, tame it). I've done that quest a million times; just not sure if I've done it on my hunter or not, since I tended to alternate between the starting zones with my toons.
    For the Alliance!

So, Arena can remove the skin, anything else that can like dungeons/raids/pet-resurrection?
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Eucep View Post
    So, Arena can remove the skin, anything else that can like dungeons/raids/pet-resurrection?
    none of those remove it, but i haven't arena'd with mine so good to know.

10+ Year Old Account
    every time i do this whens there about 12 seconds left ton trap timer, the wolf just despawns
    anyone else having this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Eucep View Post
    Nothing else has removed the oil from mine, not instances, raids nor deaths. OH I haven't check bgs yets. Be careful :/

---------- Post added 2010-08-31 at 11:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blackarthas View Post
    every time i do this whens there about 12 seconds left ton trap timer, the wolf just despawns
    12s is too long. Try between 8 and 10, depending on your haste. Also they do randomly despawn, it's just annoying if you happen to get a bunch that are on that despawn timer. Go to another little area, hopefully they'll stick around for the tame. Good luck!

WoW Vlogs and Cooking Videos on YouTube. Click Below!
    http://www.youtube.com/Zeilla8

Quote Originally Posted by Blackarthas View Post
    take off all your haste gear and its between 6-7.

Damn it! I hope they don't fix this till cata! I want my new engineer Orc to have this!!!

DAMMIT... alliance quest... noooooooo.
    Last edited by Raqubor; 2010-08-31 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Noooooooooooo...

Nice find, and nice of you to share with the community. But how long until Blizz patches this like the Worgen?

Also, your server Ravneholdt-EU was the first server I ever played on, and back when I was super noob the very old RRinc players were always answering my embarassingly stupid questions, nice to see that they are still full of pleasant and helpful people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

It took me like 20 tries to do it, i had to do tame pet at about 6 seconds of freeze trap left because iam a survival hunter and haste capped.
    here is a screeny i named it void like you sayd because it is just a awesome name for it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Netram View Post
    Girl makes thread

0 trolls
    0 shitposts
    100% brown nosing

This is why I hate the WoW community.

Plus, could you crave for attention any more by setting your avatar as (What I'm presuming is) a picture of you? Can't you just be genderless on a forum? God damn.

Probs get banned for pointing this out because I might offend a girl.

But an ok exploit I guess, enjoy it while it lasts.
    Yeah it's so different from real life where we are all mean to women and treat them like shit... Sarcasm off, I do think you are generalising, and being incredibly sexist/harsh. It would seem you are trying to create an argument, and seem to be a bit jealous.

On topic, I wouldn't call it an exploit as such, as the only gain is aesthetic. It is a shame that Blizzard patch such things as it is always nice to have something rare or unusual to admire and be admired for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Deleted
    Damn wish I could do this but I'm horde. I got a worgen when all that started and that was really fun trying to figure out how to tame it, I just wonder if there's any other method to tame this guy and keep its skin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mikena View Post
    It took me like 20 tries to do it, i had to do tame pet at about 6 seconds of freeze trap left because iam a survival hunter and haste capped.
    here is a screeny i named it void like you sayd because it is just a awesome name for it :P
    Mikena, I notice that yours doesn't have the black oil falling effect coming off the wolf. Is that just because of your graphics settings? I'm under the impression from the video that it should always have the effect.
    P.S. Wish I was alliance