Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Final Fantasy XIV vs. Cata questing

Alright,

To all in Final fantasy XIV open Beta, I have one question: How does the questing (AKA guildleves) compare to Cataclysm?

Are they still the "Kill 8 rabbits" type of quest, or do they have some type of lore integration/decent storytelling? (such as Cata Beta currently has, like in Silverpine/Gilneas)

Thanks for any help you can offer, and yes I am still checking the FFXIV website for any chance at open beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Copasetik318 View Post
    They need to make the light well bigger and more extravagant! They should make it look like you wanna click it hard and rough! Like Kim Kardashian's ass! I just got an idea! Make Kim Kardashian's ass the light well! Everyone will click it then!

I've been in the beta since phase 2 and to be honest, they're quests are quite good. What's letting it down is the way they present them.

Imagine questing in wow, but no NPC's have the yellow "!" or "?" above thier heads.

Now imagine a city the size of ogrimmar full of npc's. That is your first quest hub.

The first quest is easy to pick up, its's kind of forced on you. Anything after that is a pig to find.

Don't get me started on the guildleve system...
    Zhemak wrote:
    Hi, i'm a scientist, from the NASA. I can make science, so I tell you as a pro, Minecraft is not laggy.

Didn't play much during beta yet, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the guildleves are more like daily quests, kill ? of xx. But besides the guildleves there are the normal quests which are great. Long chains with a good story

Is it going to be worth buying the game at release?

Quote Originally Posted by levitate View Post
    No. By the time the PS3 release ships (6 months, approx.), the game *might* be in a playable state. Basically, think of Age of Conan in that it's going to be one of the buggiest and most poorly coded MMOs with absolutely no content. The UI's terrible, controls are horrid (and aren't entirely remappable), and it's designed to be the typical Eastern MMO where 90% of your leveling is done via pure grinding. Gathering professions are all laggy, buggy, and poorly implemented "Hot'n'Cold" style with sharp diminishing returns if you spent longer than say, half an hour.

In essence, if you like playing a zero content paid *ALPHA* release (it's not even worthy of beta disclaimer, regardless of what the fanboys will say) that limits your character growth per week, then sure. Knock yourself out.

If you like Final Fantasy games it is absolutely woth buying.

If you play to rush to max level ignoring the lore and quests, then no (non of the FF are for you).

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly, I have been logged into the game for a full 20 minutes to create my character then it crashed and I have been unable to log back in ever since. And I can't file an issue because it won't let me register for the forum nor will it recognize my Square Enix login on the beta tester's site.

Deleted
    As a huge Final Fantasy fanatic and a beta tester of FFXIV I can tell you that it's not worth even considering...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshi View Post
    If you like Final Fantasy games it is absolutely woth buying.

I've never played one so I don't know yet.

If you play to rush to max level ignoring the lore and quests, then no (non of the FF are for you).

I never do that with any MMO. But if the game is unfinished in every way then perhaps it's better to stay on the fence a while longer and see what happens.

---------- Post added 2010-09-10 at 09:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    Basically, think of Age of Conan in that it's going to be one of the buggiest and most poorly coded MMOs with absolutely no content. The UI's terrible, controls are horrid (and aren't entirely remappable),

Say no more. As much as I would like to try it out I'm not departing with my money on unfinished MMOs. Especially since this would be a wild card for me anyway, I've never played a FF game but would like to try it out.

and it's designed to be the typical Eastern MMO where 90% of your leveling is done via pure grinding.

Sounds rubbish. I absolutely hate grinding if the only purpose is grinding and no other viable options. Thanks for the info.

But if the game is unfinished in every way then perhaps it's better to stay on the fence a while longer and see what happens.
    Every MMO is unfinished, if it is done, it's dead

If you aren´t a FF fan I suggest to just wait till a few weeks after release. Check some less WoW oriented forums like Zam and see if you would like it or not.

If FFXIV is a lot like FFXI it doesn´t mind if you start weeks later.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a difference, a HUGE difference, between an "unfinished" MMO, and an "ever expanding" MMO. You can't leave core mechanics unfinished and shoddy and just release the game because you can and the fanboys will lap it up and beg for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayla View Post
    There's a difference, a HUGE difference, between an "unfinished" MMO, and an "ever expanding" MMO. You can't leave core mechanics unfinished and shoddy and just release the game because you can and the fanboys will lap it up and beg for more.
    It worked for WoW...

I've never played one so I don't know yet.
    It's an entirely different beast. Square-Enix makes JRPGs with ridiculous amount of cutscenes and FMVs. They're beautiful, if vapid, but it's what the series is known for. Well, that and fairly enjoyable gameplay mechanics and some really interesting methods of character progression. If you like a fairly decent all around, enjoyable package RPG they're OK. Combat and storyline wise there are vastly better alternatives, even in the JRPG market.

The problem is SE wanted to get into the MMO market for $$$$ with FFXI and basically copied Everquest, but took out ANYTHING relating to skill and made a game entirely ruled by the almighty RNG -- damage, crafting, droprates, etc. It was a very, very typical Asian grinding MMO (EXTREMELY slow paced combat merely to stall for time). People were expecting a Final Fantasy game and ulimately got suckered by a very poorly done EQ clone. To try to make the penetration not hurt so much, they put in basically cutscenes everywhere so fantards would have the illusion that they're experiencing some grand storyline when they get to see these cutscenes every 10 levels. So, the FFXI fanbase believes their game is "more unique" because every single conversation is in a cutscene (no voice acting mind you, so it's just animations with text) because it's spoon fed to them (plus, the loading times and pacing of the cutscenes, again, helps create pointless timesinks).

They also have the worst customer service in the market (yeah, even worse than Funcom and Sony if you can believe it). They don't talk to their players or communicate with them at all -- even their native Japanese players. Everything's textline driven or linear-text menu driven, and that hasn't changed with FFXIV. Basically, if you've ever played a MUD or the original Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior), give either a 3D shell and that's the gist of their MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayla View Post
    This right here.

There's a difference between missing several "quality of life" aspects that we take for granted due to MMO experience over the years, and completely halfassed games due to rushed developments. FFXIV marketing and higher ups demanded that the game be released at the end of September -- before alpha even *BEGAN* testing. Alpha took almost a month and a half because of massive server stability issues (DURRRR WE DID NOT THINK THAT ALL OF OUR ALPHA TESTERS WOULD LOG ON AT ONCE DURRRR), and beta only really had three and a half weeks (again, server stability problems). Someone on the BlueGartr forums did the math, and the game will have had barely three weeks and five and a half days of testing time before release -- that's alpha, closed beta, and open beta combined because the game was tested in "blocks" about twice a week IF the servers actually worked.

You do the math and figure out if this is a game you'd want to try with overwhelmingly negative perceptions. This is also the same company that's dragged their last expansion out for almost 4 years with skeleton content (and by content I mean a handful of cutscenes using the decade old ingame engine about three times a year).

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshi View Post
    It worked for WoW...
    Nice try.

Combat was finished, questing was in the game (so leveling was taken care of). Endgame was on CD press and launch date. The only thing not added at launch -- that was really promised -- was the PvP honor system. PvP was still viable and people engaged. Professions were complete, even if not in the streamlined fashion they were now. There were a few zones not fleshed out with quests but they ended up being superfluous and merely gave more leveling options in the end (i.e. not required and not mandatory). Auction Houses were in, even if only one per faction plus the neutral ones. Transportation was in, even if they had to put in NPCs to insta-port until zone migration was dealth with. Instances were all in, loot was available (even if the stats weren't all that useful), and every class was an option (even if every spec wasn't).

So yeah, aside from server stability (which isn't a fault of the game, merely the server loads) due to booming popularity on launch you're pretty much just talking out of your ass.
    Last edited by Viertel; 2010-09-11 at 03:31 AM.

Deleted
    The poster above obviously has no clue what he's talking about... FF serie games have deepest plots there can be and the combat system is actually a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    The poster above obviously has no clue what he's talking about... FF serie games have deepest plots there can be and the combat system is actually a lot of fun.
    El. Oh. El.

Deepest plots.

In its current state, I would say to wait a little while before buying it. It's got alot of rough edges to smooth out, but is it a terrible game? No, I didn't think so at all.

It's alot different from WoW, and that doesn't make it bad. It's definitely going to be a niche game, and if you are totally sold on how Blizzard does things, you may not care for it at all.

That being said, wait it out, then pick it up a little later. Only die-hard fans need purchase the game on release day.
    Religion isn't the absence of reason. It's merely the presence of faith.
    Heroes of the Storm : all day erryday

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kinda funny that it's release date is on the 14'th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

I'm downloading the open beta atm, and it's going slow as hell, 2 hours for 2%. Just got into it.

I have another question, my comp barely meets the minimum reqs in the graphics card department, do you think it'll function well even with all the settings on low?

Thanks for all the help everyone :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Copasetik318 View Post
    They need to make the light well bigger and more extravagant! They should make it look like you wanna click it hard and rough! Like Kim Kardashian's ass! I just got an idea! Make Kim Kardashian's ass the light well! Everyone will click it then!

I usually don't like these type of videos, but this is pretty accurate of how things go: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7025901/

I can't till FFXIV wait to starts so I can leave the WoW community behind me.

I don't get it why some people that do not like SE or FF games try so hard to convince others that they shouldn't like it either. It is just an oppinion.

A smaller community does not mean it is a bad game, personaly I find the FFXI community the best there is.

It is hard to leave your first MMO, I still have FFXI account which was my fist MMO. But some day you may realize that there are games out there that are not as big as WoW, but are much more enjoyable (both social and gameplay).