Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Video Games are in serious danger.

For nearly two decades, elected officials have tried to regulate which video games you can buy, rent and play. Every single time they’ve passed a law, the federal courts have struck it down as unconstitutional. But this may change this fall.

It's important to make our voices heard and to spread the word to our friends, family and fellow gamers.

Sign the Petition

http://www.action.theeca.com/p/dia/a...ction_KEY=1781

No this isn't spam, yes this is serious. If you care about your hobby, you'll check it out.

Sep 14 is the day they decide...

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

edit:
    2 things, read my sig, and the link is dead.
    Last edited by GISP; 2010-09-11 at 05:26 AM. Reason: stupid tread is stupid...
    What you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!

That's the problem with some people.

They don't stand up and speak when the risk is real, but then bitch about it afterwords.

It's like voting... if you don't vote, you don't have a right to bitch about the government.

Just saying.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm page not found and video games are not in any danger at all.

Bloodsail Admiral Overmind the 3rd's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll eat this curious fungus I found outside earlier if that article isn't about Germany or Australia. Suppose it's going to be hard to find out now, though.
    Serve the hive
    Feel the groove
    I control
    The way you move

Internet Petition

Deleted
    Seriously, happening all around the world. It sucks but deal with it.

The game industry is already ruined. In polls around the world, you see crap like Sims, sports games, shit made after movies (spiderman etc) being higher in sells than REAL games.

As long as the mjority of ppl are what I call "weekend gamers", the developing companies have no reason to make better games.

But the 1st blow to the video game industry came with this retarded focus on gaming consoles. Nothing wrong with the consoles per se, but these devices are made exactly for weekend gamers, who don't own a computer because they have little use for one. As such the developers make more games for consoles than computers because the customer base is larger and these customers have low expectations. This has caused games made specifically for consoles to have a retarded concent, easy and generally meant to be played for very short duration.

What it was supposed to evolution: console --> computer, turned out to be an involution, because most ppl have no desire to play something complicated when they can throw a ball at a basket while sitting on the sofa.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag7 View Post
    The game industry is already ruined. In polls around the world, you see crap like Sims, sports games, shit made after movies (spiderman etc) being higher in sells than REAL games.

As long as the mjority of ppl are what I call "weekend gamers", the developing companies have no reason to make better games.

But the 1st blow to the video game industry came with this retarded focus on gaming consoles. Nothing wrong with the consoles per se, but these devices are made exactly for weekend gamers, who don't own a computer because they have little use for one. As such the developers make more games for consoles than computers because the customer base is larger and these customers have low expectations. This has caused games made specifically for consoles to have a retarded concent, easy and generally meant to be played for very short duration.

What it was supposed to evolution: console --> computer, turned out to be an involution, because most ppl have no desire to play something complicated when they can throw a ball at a basket while sitting on the sofa.
    Partially ripped from your signature:

After reading your post:

Faith in humanity : [I---------------------------------------]

Video Games being "in serious danger" is like saying:

-"This just in: Bill Gates is broke and Blizzard is overrunning Microsoft! Oh, and Nazi Zombies are coming to America by camel."

10+ Year Old Account
    Just clicked that link and I have one thing to say: I want that fucking controller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

Looks like the posted link is no longer valid.

But ill add this.
    Don't feel so secure that you fail to rise when something you love is threatened.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    1) Video games themselves are not in danger, however chances are rental and trade ins of games will likely die. This sucks balls.

2) Online petitions have never done anything good, nor does anyone care about them. This sucks balls.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag7 View Post

So what you're saying is that these weekend gamers buy the game, just as you would, and play it on their own time, just like you would, but there time is a little less than lets say, the average 16 year old with no job, still and school and doesn't do his home work? Right. So that makes no sense at all as the company already made the money from them buying the game, it doesn't matter if it sits on the shelf or if they play it to death. And there's evolution going on in the gaming industry. Hand held games certainly got better. Now they're talking about 3D games. That's evolution if you like it or not.

Also, the Sims. That's a game. Sports games. Those a game. Games after movies, those are games. Not everyone is going to have the same taste as you. As for the console computer thing. I'm pretty sure more people own a computer for weekend facebooking than people own a console for weekend gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the OP talking about the US government? If so it doesn't really bother me since I don't live there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Is the OP talking about the US government? If so it doesn't really bother me since I don't live there.
    If anything, he's talking about the Military's recent ban on Medal of Honor because you can play as the Taliban.

Bloodsail Admiral Overmind the 3rd's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    If anything, he's talking about the Military's recent ban on Medal of Honor because you can play as the Taliban.
    Oh really? I don't usually pay attention to anything having to do with the MoH series, but this amuses me to no end.

I had an interesting discussion last week with someone about how we'd probably never see an end to the "only Americans (and occasionally Brits) can be the protagonists" trope, because of how afraid we are to allow for positive or value-neutral portrayals of historic "bad guys". Now, granted, the Taliban are a cabal of psychopaths preying on the minds of disenfranchised youths and foreign psychopaths, but that doesn't mean they aren't human beings with their own stories to tell.
    Serve the hive
    Feel the groove
    I control
    The way you move

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Overmind the 3rd View Post
    Oh really? I don't usually pay attention to anything having to do with the MoH series, but this amuses me to no end.

I had an interesting discussion last week with someone about how we'd probably never see an end to the "only Americans (and occasionally Brits) can be the protagonists" trope, because of how afraid we are to allow for positive or value-neutral portrayals of historic "bad guys". Now, granted, the Taliban are a cabal of psychopaths preying on the minds of disenfranchised youths and foreign psychopaths, but that doesn't mean they aren't human beings with their own stories to tell.
    Exactly, it's an interesting twist on the game, and I personally want to see what it's about. It's not like it's going to brainwash me into praising Allah and killing innocent Americans. There's games where you can play as the Nazis, and an unnamed middle eastern group that you know is the taliban, but just doesn't have the name. Once they name it, they want to ban it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Exactly, it's an interesting twist on the game, and I personally want to see what it's about. It's not like it's going to brainwash me into praising Allah and killing innocent Americans. There's games where you can play as the Nazis, and an unnamed middle eastern group that you know is the taliban, but just doesn't have the name. Once they name it, they want to ban it.
    I think Infinity Ward got a lot of negative criticism over one of the scenes in Modern Warfare 2, where in one of the missions you play undercover as a terrorist and slaughter civilians. It didn't warrant for the game to be banned in the U.S. though.

And couldn't you play as German forces in most WW2-based games to being with?
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Ah, I see.

Yes, there are games that allow you to play as Nazi soldiers. Those succede only because those directly effected by the actions of which the games are based are no longer a majority.

However, since this is a current issue, most people have been effected in some way and are still being effected.

While I dont think it should be banned, I dont think it is the proper time for something like this to be released. It personally made me a little sick at the stomach thinking about playing as a Taliban, killing Americans, Europeans, anyone in the name of fun.

For those of you not actually thinking about the real issue, Ill use another example.

5 minutes ago you caught your girlfriend having sex with Julio. (Theyre still going at it.)
    Your neighbor comes over and lets you know he has the entire thing on cam.
    He assures you that Julio, the men's thong model, has a very good story and offers to show you. What do you do?
    Last edited by Mijen; 2010-09-13 at 06:56 AM.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.