Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Patch 4.0.1 release date, Heroic Deadmines, Blue Posts

Patch 4.0.1 release date
    We're very close to the release of Patch 4.0.1, at this point the only question is "How close?"

As far as I can tell, you can probably expect the patch on October 5th or October 12th. Ghostcrawler already suggested that the patch would be deployed right before the end of the arena season and added that "they shouldn't have a lasting impact on ratings, titles, and the like".
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker)
    Since the current PvP season will end when these changes go live, they shouldn't have a lasting impact on ratings, titles and the like. We are prepared to just drop a temporary player damage nerf on all BGs and Arenas if necessary just so things don't feel too silly until everyone can level up to 85.
    Additionally, the World of Warcraft Trial Website has been updated and now announces that the new streaming client will be available on October 5th, which is exactly what we've been testing on 4.0.1 PTRs.

As usual, nothing is official, but it's probably close enough.

Heroic Deadmines Video
    TotalBiscuit released a nice video preview of the Heroic version of the Deadmines, one of the two revamped classic dungeon of Cataclysm.

Currency Conversion - Calculator Update
    The Cataclysm Currency and Honor Calculator has been updated with the latest values of Justice Points.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    We’ve revised the Justice Points conversion rate for Emblems of Triumph and Emblems of Frost. When the upcoming 4.0.1 patch goes live, these emblems will be converted into 11.58 Justice Points (up from the previously planned 2.75 Justice Points per emblem). Justice Points accrued above the soft cap of 4,000 will be converted to gold at a rate of 47.5 silver per point (down from 2 gold per point) when patch 4.0.3 goes live.

The original explanation thread (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...Id=26850245012) and the subsequent conversion math update (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...&pageNo=10#184) have been updated to reflect these changes.

[...] The previous conversion rate was intended to devalue Frost and Triumph a bit to discourage some amount of farming and hoarding of points before the conversion, but then we came to the conclusion that no matter what we do people would be farming well above the softcap, and we shouldn't try to make it more difficult for them to do so.

Emblems and Badges

Honor points!

Blue Posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

No Worgens and Goblins before Cataclysm
    Worgen and goblins require the activation of a Cataclysm key and will not be available in patch 4.0.3 until Cataclysm launches. (Source)

Patch 4.0.1 and 4.0.3
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. These aren't filler patches we developed to tide players over. Patch 4.0.1 will implement nearly all systems changes necessary for Cataclysm (including class and UI changes). We've done this before every expansion to lay down the framework. Patch 4.0.3 brings about the Cataclysm, forever changing Azeroth.

This has always been the plan for Cataclysm, as we've never released an expansion quite like this one before. On the one hand, this expansion offers another increased level cap with all-new leveling and end-game content. On the other hand, this expansion is virtually rebuilding the content of the entire original game from the ground up.

Again, patches 4.0.1 and 4.0.3 are not offering filler content. These patches are to implement all of the new content and systems which do not require the purchase of Cataclysm. (Source)

Tanking
    Why was threat decay scrapped?
    We still like the idea and it might return someday.

We scrapped it because we didn't think it was necessary and we wanted to focus on things we thought were necessary. We ended up changing threat modifiers quite a bit and getting rid of a lot of the threat management talents. Furthermore, Vengeance is keeping tank dps up pretty well in beta tests -- often 75% or higher of dps. Finally, it was causing a lot of concern among tanks. The intent was to make threat generation more engaging, ultimately to make tanking more fun. But I think we ended up changing so many aspects of tanking (large health pools so avoidance matters more, less AE tanking, mana mattering more, Vengeance, etc.) that changing threat on top of all of that just seemed to some* tanks to be that final straw that made Cataclysm tanking feel totally unfamiliar to them.

* -- This kind of thing is always subjective. We didn't poll every tank; nor would we put a lot of weight on that anyway. Instead, we read a lot of forums and talked to a lot of tanks we knew to gauge whether this was something they were excited about or not. We know there are tanks that hated the idea and those that will be sad to see it go, as is the case with almost any design change. I offer all of that footnote just to try and stave off some of the inevitable threads that will launch from this one. "Healers don't like running out of mana -- remove that. Warriors don't like rage normalization -- remove that." We welcome your opinions on all of those things, but encourage you not to search for the magic switch that will get us to change out minds in areas where we disagree. (Source)

Paladin/Warrior mastery undertuned?

Increasing the value per point of mastery for paladins or warriors is not hard to do. Likewise, we might shift more of the warrior mastery between block and critical block because of the value of Shield Block.

I'm also not sure we're that worried about paladins (or anyone) blocking, dodging or parrying every hit. That isn't the game breaking scenario that it used to be. If in later tiers of gear you manage to do it, probably by giving up on other stats, I'm not sure it's a huge danger. Sixty percent of damage is still a lot and none of those stats help with magic damage. In a world where two back to back normal hits could kill you, it would be a lot more valuable. In Cataclysm, it might just translate to healer mana savings. We'll keep an eye on it of course.

We did change parry to scale from Strength. (Source)
    [/blizzquote]

Fan Art
    The Official Fan Art Gallery has been updated with a piece entitled: Pally Tank!

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks a ton for finding that GC quote - I couldn't find it for the life of me.

Hopefully this will end the flurry of "OMG PATCH THIS TUESDAY?!" threads!

Deleted
    sweet

you thought they'd have let the worgen and goblin be able to be played to those with Wrath and TBC as a sign of good faith (or what accountants, ironically, call "goodwill"), if you don't buy the expansion you can no longer play them [those characters] when it launches.

if you do, you can just carry on.

or that could just be slight... impatience on my part

come on 4.0.1

Come on blue post.. Give us that release date...

Deleted
    Hmm, not long then and if this date is anything to go by then the cata release may still be on for early november after all.

o shi o shi o shi o shi o shi o shi o shi o shi

I wonder how challenging icecrown will be with the class changes.

Deleted
    Heroic Deadmines looks very sweet !

Deleted
    IDD Heroic Deadmines FTW thank god also I can mute his annoying voice

Deleted
    Incoming Deadmines!

Deleted
    So, will the points carry over into Cata?

Quote Originally Posted by deplorable View Post
    you thought they'd have let the worgen and goblin be able to be played to those with Wrath and TBC as a sign of good faith (or what accountants, ironically, call "goodwill"), if you don't buy the expansion you can no longer play them [those characters] when it launches.

if you do, you can just carry on.

or that could just be slight... impatience on my part

come on 4.0.1
    So many newfags...

You dont get anything unless you pay for it.

There are way too many people on MMO-C recently, just like you, that expect to get to play new content without paying for it.

Even as a "good will" gesture, it would be retarded.

every time i see a TB video i think to myself he is not to impresed or find them ok and i think nice but we all tend t oforget that he has a premade group with vent and people that actually know what to do!!
    and then i think this will be fun with pugs!

WOot i was right people doubted me that oct would have a chance

All i can say is, when Blizzard tries to remake something it always ends to failure.

Deleted
    Does 4.0.1 currently hold the same class changes as current beta patch? I am not in beta nor on PTR but when I am bored I sometimes watch xfire streams and I usually see some weird things..

By that I mean 5man heroic run, where in single target boss fight 2 DPSers have each 5 - 8k DPS and then a hunter that has Survival talents (judging by explosive shot being on his bar), rotation: spam Arcane shot, when you dont have enough focus for it, spam Cobra shot. And he is doing 16 - 20k DPS with it.

I mean is this going on live realms? I literally never see people doing over 10k in these fights, except for hunters, so I bealive it is intended to do something like 8k DPS at 85 in blue gear. Except for hunters .

Now I am not complaining nor crying over it, I actually play my hunter quite a lot because we have 2 new healers on trial before cata so I can go with my alt (that being hunter).

And this is nothing I have seen a month ago, I actually saw it yesterday afternoon.

Deleted
    Another question, is Season 4 still for sale in 4.0.1 ( arena 70 set )
    And does some one know for how much honor points ?

I don't get it, how can it be Oct 5th when

Originally Posted by Zarhym (blue.mmo-champion.com/t/27026472909/arena-season-8-ending-soon/)
    "We are currently planning to end Arena Season 8 as early as October 12."
    and

Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (blue.mmo-champion.com/t/26726017167/ptr-damage-out-of-control)
    Since the current PvP season will end when these changes go live [...]
    The Streaming Trial Download will likely be the only thing that goes 'live' on Oct 5th as to be honest there's still a fair bit to download and you won't be able to play with this client until later (Oct 12th?).

Has there been any notice whether the 4k hardcap for justice points will stay? if it does, won't it be better to convert emblems until you get ~3k points and fill up the rest of the points with raiding in 4.0 and leveling to 85?