Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    The real question I have is how does a very overclocked high-end dual core compare to a quad core (Q6XXX) or stock I7-920.

I'm sure the I7 would win, due to the aforementioned professor advancements, but at the same time, I don't think it would be much due to WoW's poor utilization of multiple (3+) cores.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

dont rush it

Report: AMD Launching Radeon HD 6000 Oct. 18

the 6xxx series will be out and prolly will beat gts 450 / gtx 460 in performance over price ratio .. if u cant wait then either got to radeon 5770 or gtx 460 depending on the budget u have .. and alos dont forget to have i7 760 + triple channel RAM (6gb 3x 2Gb slots)

also for a motherboard try to get gigabyte mobos cuz they are cheap and offer good quality

Could also be your internet: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/280452-33-aion-5870

different game but same concept.
    Explains why you get decent fps in an instance, but low fps in dal. Especially since you have good hardware.
    No world! You put YOUR hands up!

15+ Year Old Account
    1440 x 900 @ 42-45 fps...sorry, 5-7fps difference.

http://tinypic.com/r/29c8mdt/7
    Last edited by Ägallar; 2010-10-04 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Added SS

i heard it was changed to november not sure where i read it though

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldygaga View Post
    whether you were or were not referring to me, I'm going ahead and attempting to update drivers just in-case that is the case.

I'am attempting to run at "ultra" settings as well I don't know if you are.
    On Ultra, I run at 25-30 FPS in Dalaran, as high as 60 outside.
    (Edit: 1680x1050 resolution)

I have some sort of bizarre issue where my ENTIRE computer locks up on Blood Princes in 3 second spikes if I'm using Ultra though, so I use High for now.
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-10-04 at 05:53 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by dcemuser View Post
    The real question I have is how does a very overclocked high-end dual core compare to a quad core (Q6XXX) or stock I7-920.

I'm sure the I7 would win, due to the aforementioned professor advancements, but at the same time, I don't think it would be much due to WoW's poor utilization of multiple (3+) cores.
    Actually, the dual core would most likely win, like I said before, after a certain CPU speed, the performance increase drops to 0, it's simply not worth the extra heat. The dual core E8400-500's used to overclock to 6-8Ghz, they were ridiculous and cheap but overclocked very well and since WoW doesn't utilize 4cores, they would often out perform the older quad cores because they couldn't come close to those speeds, I haven't tested the dual cores recently so I couldn't say about the I7's now.

---------- Post added 2010-10-04 at 05:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ägallar View Post
    1440 x 900 @ 42-45 fps...sorry, 5-7fps difference.
    Yeah, when I mention a certain fps, I'm talking about at 1920x1200, so it does make a difference.
    Last edited by Deceit; 2010-10-04 at 05:54 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well - you didn't mention that in the post I responded to.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just some info about bottlenecking:

My system 1 year ago:
    - AMD 4800+ (2,5 GHz dual core)
    - ATI HD1600pro
    - 2 GB RAM
    - 1680x1050 Monitor

Performance in the free world and 5-mans was fine (~20fps), but in Dalaran and raids my fps dropped very low to the point i sometimes got disconnects because my computer couldn't handle it.

1. Upgrade: +2gig RAM
    - FPS stayed nearly the same
    - Loading times got a lot better, e.g. when entering Dalaran or exiting from a dungeon.

2. Upgrade: Nvidia GTS250
    - Overall FPS increase, but still dropping low in raids (<5fps in 25-mans)

3. Upgrade: Intel i5 750 (4x2.66ghz, Turbo Boost up to 2x3.2ghz, with 4gig DDR3 RAM)
    - Big FPS increase, especially in raids. I think i didn't get lower than 20 fps since then.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

My appollogies, but you still didn't post a screenshot of you in dalaran with max shadows staring outside of the bank with even 42-45 fps.

15+ Year Old Account
    I did - that was the highest concentration of folks in Dal at this hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Just some info about bottlenecking:

My system 1 year ago:
    - AMD 4800+ (2,5 GHz dual core)
    - ATI HD1600pro
    - 2 GB RAM
    - 1680x1050 Monitor

Performance in the free world and 5-mans was fine (~20fps), but in Dalaran and raids my fps dropped very low to the point i sometimes got disconnects because my computer couldn't handle it.

1. Upgrade: +2gig RAM
    - FPS stayed nearly the same
    - Loading times got a lot better, e.g. when entering Dalaran or exiting from a dungeon.

2. Upgrade: Nvidia GTS250
    - Overall FPS increase, but still dropping low in raids (<5fps in 25-mans)

3. Upgrade: Intel i5 750 (4x2.66ghz, Turbo Boost up to 2x3.2ghz, with 4gig DDR3 RAM)
    - Big FPS increase, especially in raids. I think i didn't get lower than 20 fps since then.
    The GPU you added still wasn't very good, then you increased your CPU with new architecture and it's speed by almost 1ghz plus DDR3 ram, so the combination of all 3 were the result of your performance increase, not just your CPU. Plus we don't know what you were running in the background that could get off the 2 cores that we're previously running on the same 2 cores as WoW and slowing down performance, there are a lot of variables when testing performance increases.

Most likely as well, you did a full wipe of your HDD, if it was even the same HDD when you installed the I5, which could do a whole lot to your performance if you've had a computer for a while.
    Last edited by Deceit; 2010-10-04 at 06:07 AM.

Which i5 matters, not just the speed since some of the lower ones have on-board GPU, and if anything that makes it worse.
    Getting a reasonable dx11 card will allow you to get the new liquid effects amongst others, as well as a degree of future proofing for other games, so if the budget is up to it then go ahead.

get

p55 mobo
    i5-750/760
    4 GB RAM (dual channel kit)
    gtx 460/ati 5850
    600 or 700 watt psu

that will run cata on ultra settings with shadow 2 clicks down and you will be able to run all the new DX11 features in cata

to deceit
    wow is one of the most cpu bound games ever made. CPU Benchmark for wow

ps.
    move this thread to the computer forum. thats why we have one
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Best cheaper card out right now is probs the Gigabyte version of the Nvidia GTX 460. like $200. I use 2 myself, outpowers a 480 in SLI.

15+ Year Old Account
    Moved to the computer forums.
    Dawwwwwww

Deleted
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102898

At $150 probably the best deal out there for cataclysm.

Its DX11, low heat , quiet , low powerusage, 1GB ram, lot of OC headroom and simply overall fast card that has no problems with current games

Deleted
    I dont think that people with older cards will have problems though. I have a GTX 8800 768 for 3 years now, no glitch ever...I say more to invest for an I7 Cpu or a SSD Hard disk

10+ Year Old Account
    the biggest upgrade for your PC u can get atm is a SSD HD, ull never wanna go back to a magnetic drive again.
    i7 4770k 4.6GHZ................................................ ¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
    OCZ Arc 100 x2 (240g) RAID 0.........................°º¤ø„¸? Druid ,„ø¤º°¨
    Kingston HyperX 8 gig 2400.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨ For Life! 0¤ø„¸
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 OC.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸ ¨°º¤ø

Quote Originally Posted by Shifthappens View Post
    the biggest upgrade for your PC u can get atm is a SSD HD, ull never wanna go back to a magnetic drive again.
    This will have little to nothing to do with his current fps problem.

x2 gtx 460's are a great way to go if you have the cash to spend on them.

However ATI currently scales in crossfire performance WAY better than SLI. ATI also has cards that run less power and less heat. I myself as I said in an original post run the game at 1920x1080 without any lag of any sort on ultra settings with my GTX 260 thats like 2-3 years old now. I am not going to buy a new graphics card until the ATI 6xxx series hits the market for DX11 and Xfire.

I'll post screen shots of system performance if desired to make my point later on today. In the OP's original point i'm not sure what processor hes using but it's most likly going to be the better uprade.
    Last edited by Bloodvortex; 2010-10-04 at 01:36 PM.