Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

So how does holy get mana?

How?

Perhaps if you just keep stacking spirit you'll be good? Maybe there will be a spirit cap where your mana regen will be higher than the actual heals you cast?

I just find it kind of strange that there's really no way for holy priests to receive mana anymore. Shadowfiend has been nerfed so much it's not even worth using it. Hymn of Hope has never been good. So let's say I go oom in the middle of an icc encounter, what do I do?
    I'm trying to conserve mana with heal and stuff, but I always turn out oom.

Tips would be cool.

Spec Discipline (ridiculous OP right now) and leave the raid healing to the Druids and Shaman.
    Honestly, though, all healers now get regen from Spirit. If you are going oom then you are either wasting your heals or you need more spirit. Or possibly add another healer in your group.

Use shadowfiend then hymn of hope, now ur at full mana agian
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantheal View Post
    I on occasion take a dump in the shower so I don't have to wipe but never pee in there. That is just gross!

Hymn of hope, then shadowfiend... you mean Wonder
    twitter.com/CoastalMichelle
    facebook.com/CoastalMichelle
    CoastalMichelle.com

I hate to be the broken record, but it's more balanced at 85. I never have healed as Holy, but at lv 85 you have access to Evangelism, a nice mana regen and healing buff cooldown. I use it all the time as Disc. Just bring Runic Mana Pots and blow Hymn/Shadowfiend.

On a side note, is spirit even worth it to gem? It seems to me that Intellect would be better, because it provides both mana and Spell Power.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    What's your gear look like? How much spirit do you have stacked? I can cast Heal and my mana will regen from the first one before the second one even lands, so I can spam it all day long, and I'm using a mixture of ICC and badge gear. Post an armory link so we can check out your gear/specs. If you're feeling that pinched for mana, I suggest trying Discipline spec and do MT/OT healing.

I honestly reforged all my spirit into other stats, I am not finding myself running out of mana. If I get low, I ask a caster druid for an innervate or use hymn+shadowfiend. In PVE or PVP, I don't find myself ever out of mana, perhaps you are being too liberal with your heals?

if you are spamming flash heal, you will run out of mana. That spell is very expensive and as a holy priest, you should be mainly raid healing, only flash healing for spikes, if that. Also, Prayer of Healing is fairly expensive, so spamming that will run you oom. Sticking to CoH, PoM, and Renew should be efficient enough. Use Chakra to increase the healing by renew, etc. I would not use Heal for the time being, it is far to weak at level 80.
    Last edited by Rayella; 2010-10-18 at 03:33 AM.

Evangelism isn't worth it.

Rule #1 with mana: Stop spamming. Everything and anything has to do with you and your choice of spells.

As for Intellect being worth it? Replenishment was nerfed hardcore. So was Shadowfiend, and Hymn of Hope. Intellect is awesome thoroughput, but if you're OoM, spirit helps ridiculously more.

And while Discipline and Druids and even Shaman have specific ways to regain mana, Holy Paladins have a "free" spell to cast, while Holy Priests get "+20% regen". Yay for uninspiring mechanics. At least it's easy to math out.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Sorry I can't link my armory, it's been giving me an error since I re-started WoW a few months ago.

I can tell you in game though I'm sitting on around 505 spirit and 1653 int. Maybe I should reforge/gem some spirit or whatever? Haven't really been stacking it because I was disc a few weeks before 4.0.1, decided to change when Blizzard introduced smite healing. Most of my gear is triumph gear and some icc10 pieces, I'm pretty much a noob lol.

@MFDOOM Evangelism isn't worth it I think... When will I be casting smite as holy? Never, so I can't really pop Evangelism lol.

Another thing I noticed that before 4.0.1 I was only barely getting past running oom, with shadowfiend getting of cd to save my life, or asking healer droods to innervate :P Now they removed shadowfiend and made every good spell cost way more mana... So I got a bit unlucky there.

It's probably my choice of spells. Right now I'm using heal when I'm not doing anything and flash heal when someone is below 50% health. I have a tendency to panic when someone is below 50% health, so flash heal is my first reaction, lol.

I just find it frustrating that I no longer have an "oh crap oom" button.

505 spirit is insanely low? Do you not have any spirit on your gear?... You should be well over 1k :S
    They didn't remove shadowfiend... it's just much worse...
    Get some mana pots too... and seriously get more spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Madison View Post
    nope, you cant use shadowfiend when youre channeling a spell
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantheal View Post
    I on occasion take a dump in the shower so I don't have to wipe but never pee in there. That is just gross!

505 spirit would be your problem... on my druid I had like 1500 before I reforged every item so I am now down too 800.
    with 500 spirit pre patch I would be surprised if you went oom on the longer fights in ICC.

I am also going oom, i although only when im using Chakra Renew i tend to be oom pretty fast i have good gear good regen, 39k mana , 1346 spirit , 964/1294 regen i can manage but it just seems to me that renew chakra is burning mana pretty fast to all the priests i've spoken with.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...cn=Kass%C3%ADe

Spec Disc ... My half blue geared disc priests does more HPS in ICC 10 than our full 277 geared resto druid... GG ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwuman View Post
    nope, you cant use shadowfiend when youre channeling a spell
    He means use Shadowfiend then Hymn while shadowfiend is up. Think before posting, please.

And Shadowfiend is "useless" ? Getting 30% mana back is useless? Especially on a 3min CD, instead of 5 min?

Myself, I was having no mana issues in ICC, as long as I timed Shadowfiend uses correctly.
    Last edited by Vook; 2010-10-18 at 11:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Charblaze: There are a ton of ways for holy to get mana these days. Not all of them are obvious, but check out the sticky on this subject for most of them. Your best option however seems to be to team up with a restoshammy; the new manatide totem is utterly awesome if you have a lot of spirit. And as holy, you usually do.

Other than that - stack INT for regen, and use less mana by choosing your spells and timings better. I will agree that the lvl 80 mana situation as holy is not particularly brilliant. I run oom as hell, and if I can't sustain renew spam at ilvl 277 while wearing two of the best manaregen trinkets in WoTLK and using all my cooldowns, then I have absolutely no faith that I will be able to spam it at any time in cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Madison View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    He means use Shadowfiend then Hymn while shadowfiend is up. Think before posting, please.
    He means the COMPLETE opposite of what he said?

Deleted
    I left all my gems as they were pre 4.0 and last night in LK HC, we tried one disc one holy priest as opposed to 2 disc 1 holy, and by the5th minute or so, i was OOM with all cooldowns used.

I need to gem more spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    In the assumption game, I will assume something else: cast Hymn and once it has finished, follow up with a Shadowfiend. As it is, neither affect eachother, and the way you're suggesting is actually counterproductive. Hymn targets the players with the LOWEST mana pools - and if you blow your Shadowfiend before the Hymn, you won't be the lowest one and therefore not gain any personal benefit from the Hymn.

Hymn first and then (once it's done channeling) a Shadowfiend is the way to go if you want to use them both in succession.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaysha View Post
    As it is, neither affect eachother
    Wrong, Shadowfiend is based off of max mana pool. having the Hymn of Hope active gives you +15% max mana, therefor giving you +15% mana gained from Shadowfiend.

Hymn targets the players with the LOWEST mana pools - and if you blow your Shadowfiend before the Hymn, you won't be the lowest one and therefore not gain any personal benefit from the Hymn.
    Yep, because shadowfiend actually instantly gives you 30% mana as soon as you cast it. [/sarcasm]

Hymn first and then (once it's done channeling) a Shadowfiend is the way to go if you want to use them both in succession.
    If you do this, you won't get +15% max mana for the entire duration of Shadowfiend.

Quote Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
    He means the COMPLETE opposite of what he said?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".