Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I am a raider myself and this is just my opinion. But i think what your saying is pathetic

Im not in a hardcore raiding guild myself anymore. Also im a tank so i cant show out on dps meters etc..

A real raider for me is a person who raid for the part of raiding. Ofc gear is great, but as you state that shouldnt be the main part of raiding. Its an equipment you get to progress in raiding. I myself raid for the challenge as a group aswell as the social aspect of it.

I dont care about other peoples gear what so ever is my point. Im showing off in raids and knowledge if i need to.. also i got my achies and titles if needed

---------- Post added 2010-10-25 at 09:13 AM ----------

And as the guy above me stated .. You can tell the level of the raider on the color of the set

Because the player poaching gets completely out of hand. You end up with huge gear gaps that cannot be overcome because nobody can pass the gear checks. So the top guild poaches from the lower guilds and those guilds poach from other guilds and so on and so forth until you have certain guilds that end up as leveling stones which causes huge amounts of guild drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolu-TDR View Post
    o wow they could get ilvl 251 T10. Big deal, the real raiders are in sanctified T10/ilvl 264+ and the hardcore raiders are in heroic sanctified T10/ilvl 277+.
    That's what I'm saying. Just inspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    My personal example, 2005 started playing wow, got into a "hardcore" raiding guild, did this til 2007, when myself and my partner had our first child, then i raided when i could, ie when baby was asleep. Then when he had number 2 and my "hardcore" raiding days where over. Sorry but Children/Real life for me > WoW.

Now i still play WoW when i can , which is quite casual.(when my boys are in bed aor having a nap) So for me getting gear is harder, but still something i would like, but not top of my list, having played for 5 years now, why should i be penalised for wanting to gear my two level 80's ? Just because i can no longer raid 5 days a week?

I know a lot of you are thinking well it was your choice to have children blah blah blah, true, but it does not mean i should no longer do something i enjoy either.

For me personally gearing my mage/lock has not been 'easy' or 'free' i have had to try and pug icc and/or save frost badges to get gear. I also pay my mthly sub as does everyone else.
    i understand where your at, i have friends that have had the same. i just feel like the gear you get from a raid is an accomplishment, just because you also pay the subscription does necessarily mean you deserve every piece of gear that i have, i worked for that (sorta, it is a game). if you put in that same time then theres no issues. iono does what im saying sound completly wack? i believe it has some ground behind it

Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    Because the player poaching gets completely out of hand. You end up with huge gear gaps that cannot be overcome because nobody can pass the gear checks. So the top guild poaches from the lower guilds and those guilds poach from other guilds and so on and so forth until you have certain guilds that end up as leveling stones which causes huge amounts of guild drama.
    Just like the NY Yankees versus other teams. That's more of a Darwinian thing than a problem with WoW. And obviously it doesn't always pay off.

i think a better question is why would you want that gear if you're not going to raid in it?

i dont really give a shit about my gear, tbh... i take what i need to beat the next encounter and get on with it. im a raider too, but i just like to kill internet dragons. you need sweet purps to kill the next big thing, so i go after them, but its a means not an end... it doesnt take a 6k GS to max out your fishing skill or whatever people do instead of raids.

besides, titles and mounts are cooler anyway, they only get better with time, unlike the gear
    Last edited by fews; 2010-10-25 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fews View Post
    besides, titles and mounts are cooler anyway, they only get better with time, unlike the gear
    soo true
    Death Knights are good for one thing. Bank Alts. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by TehSklatt View Post
    its amazing that people cant talk without being assholes, wowarmory is enîx (cant post links) from thrall, im not the best raider, but i raid for my gear. just because WoTLK was coming out they didnt start giving everyone T6 for running heroics. if they want the gear they can wait till the expantion comes out and go get it yourself.
    Your name has an ascii extended character so I hate you by default.

However! I can totally sympathize with the viewpoint of wanting tier gear locked away from non-raiders. Sure, let them have some kind of equivalent so that if they want to try to pug a raid they won't be shunned based solely on gearscore, but don't give 5-man heroes tier gear.

I remember when I first started playing, seeing people decked out in T5 (BC baby, all you 'nilla wafers shut up), and longing for the day when my noob ass would be considered valuable enough to slot into a 25 person group. Now it's just... blech.

It's going to really sting when you see your tier gear being worn by the scrubbiest of the scrub the day of a new content patch, just because they were stockpiling justice points (please don't let JP and HP carry over into new content patches, blizz!)

The question I ask those who don't raid is "Why do you feel you need high-end raid gear when you have no intention of raiding, or even of breaking into PvP?"
    The most common response is something along the lines of "So that <insert content here> is easier."

What's the point of playing an easy game? When did this huge subset of people come to video games, wanting not a challenge, but some kind of interactive facebook type thing with spells?

There are only a few things that matter. 1) World firsts. 2) Server firsts. 3) Faction firsts on your server. 4) Achievements awards that are deprecated.

The first is pride. The second usually gives a unique title. The third is pride. The fourth gives things that can't be obtained anymore.

Fight for those.

Deleted
    The "casuals", like me who rarely raid, have their ilvl 251 gear, while "raiders" like my buddy Nubbington runs around in some decent ilvl 277 gear chopping heads off with shadowmourne. That's how I see it. Back in the days when I used to raid, my gear was rather fancy. Now its decent and it get stuff killed fast. I'm happy, and so is Nubbington.

Quote Originally Posted by fews View Post
    i think a better question is why would you want that gear if you're not going to raid in it?

i dont really give a shit about my gear, tbh... i take what i need to beat the next encounter and get on with it. im a raider too, but i just like to kill internet dragons. you need sweet purps to kill the next big thing, so i go after them, but its a means not an end...

see mounts/titles have never been my thing, i have all my old gear sets in my bank.
    on another note, big gear gaps? good. thats the gap i was talking about in my original post lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tayfow View Post
    Your name has an ascii extended character so I hate you by default.

However! I can totally sympathize with the viewpoint of wanting tier gear locked away from non-raiders. Sure, let them have some kind of equivalent so that if they want to try to pug a raid they won't be shunned based solely on gearscore, but don't give 5-man heroes tier gear.

I remember when I first started playing, seeing people decked out in T5 (BC baby, all you 'nilla wafers shut up), and longing for the day when my noob ass would be considered valuable enough to slot into a 25 person group. Now it's just... blech.

It's going to really sting when you see your tier gear being worn by the scrubbiest of the scrub the day of a new content patch, just because they were stockpiling justice points (please don't let JP and HP carry over into new content patches, blizz!)

The question I ask those who don't raid is "Why do you feel you need high-end raid gear when you have no intention of raiding, or even of breaking into PvP?"
    The most common response is something along the lines of "So that <insert content here> is easier."

What's the point of playing an easy game? When did this huge subset of people come to video games, wanting not a challenge, but some kind of interactive facebook type thing with spells?
    thats my exact point thank you for clarifying it.
    Last edited by TehSklatt; 2010-10-25 at 07:27 AM.

I personally raid because I enjoy raiding. I'm not hardcore by any stretch of the imagination, but the fun times I have raiding with my bros and the experience of the content is what I'm in it for. If you're in it for gear, and if you're gonna get upset over "casuals" having access to gear, then you're in it for the wrong reasons.

Hard truth, right there.

I used to be like you (this sounds like the Lich King lol), a dedicated raider and disliked casuals. But now I'm a casual myself, because I just got to college and have less time to play. This made me think about the differance between hardcore raiders and casuals.

The main differance is the time spent in game. I can no longer raid regularly, so I'm limited to heroics and pvp (and weekly). However, i still like the coolness of raiding gear so that makes me want to have it, even though I'm not imba hardcore raider.

Fortunately/unfortunately, many players see WoW as a relaxations rather than a 4 hours a day job so they get more attention from Blizz (size does matter!).
    I suggest you take advantage of your rare mounts, achievements and titles and try to be the best, no matter how many casuals are out there.

see mounts/titles have never been my thing, i have all my old gear sets in my bank.
    on another note, big gear gaps? good. thats the gap i was talking about in my original post lol
    if your hoping for the glory days of vanilla or bc where most were in blues/low epics and "raiders" were in bis gear and stood out really far from the pack, it aint gonna be comming back any time soon. yes the grind in cata will take longer and be slightly harder but when 4.1 comes along, t11 is gonna be farmable. just be happy you have the gear when it matters, the end of the expansion with no new content is not the time when it matters.

sorry brah, justice points arnt getting wiped before/at release of cata or in later patches, only valor points will get wiped.
    Last edited by Evilmonkey; 2010-10-25 at 07:33 AM.
    Death Knights are good for one thing. Bank Alts. Nothing more.

Welcome to the newest generation of gamers who want everything handed to them on a silver platter without having to actually do some work to earn or achieve it.

You misunderstood "gear gaps" as used there. It means there's a point where a player cannot possibly pug given gearscore requirements and the difference in what's requested cannot be made up without raiding. On my server right now, the maximum attainable GS without raiding is roughly 5000, maybe up to 5400. But the required GS ratings for ToC are significantly higher than what's attainable without raiding. And there are no lower tier raids going on (discounting Ulduar heroic pugs, which have ridiculously unnecessary GS requirements too).

The point is that it's impossible to get into raiding unless you were always raiding or unless you have a very sympathetic group willing to gear you up.

Deleted
    I'd be able to notice that you're special from how you speak, if your in-game personality is anything like your forum one.

That's the sort of guy I filter out of any pugs I start, along with the scrubs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    The point is that it's impossible to get into raiding unless you were always raiding or unless you have a very sympathetic group willing to gear you up.
    i came back to wow after a long absence around april, i leveled my char to 80 around may and i've started farming icc in june. it's not impossible.

Implying it was harder than yogg+0.

Deleted
    This thread was bound for rages and flaming from the very start.

Wow is all about E-peen (And having fun but that gets overlooked because of the epeen.)

That is all.