Page 1 of 120
... LastLast

[TV] Your Favourite TV Shows and what to watch!

2 votes per user

Champions league owns everything!

but discovery, family guy and legend of the seeker is also great. ecspecially man vs wild

what's you're favorite tv shows?

MOD EDIT:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post13502879

Re-Purposing this thread since there are 1000 of them in existence. I've merged many together so people don't have to re-post.

This will be a place to both post a list of your favourite shows as well as look for recommendations for new ones.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2011-10-03 at 08:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Best stuff on TV

I prefer the comedy cartoons, police dramas and oddly enough for a 20 year old.. history and science TV.

What I find odd is that there doesn't seem to be anymore adult aimed cartoons. There used to be quite a few.. a long with tons of anime on TV but not so much anymore.

Deleted

Well, firstly Two and a half men is not a soap opera. How dare you.

There should be a new option for 'Sitcom' Because that would get my vote.

And then perhaps a Drama option? Because I love House MD.

People keep making these threads and keep leaving out this:

http://www.amctv.com/originals/breakingbad/

You don't know what you're missing.
    Former God of Uther server and the best WoW player ever.
    Techbot says: Techbot is sensitive and those words hurt my ears. :[ Please be nice to me. I just want to help.

Deleted

Recommend TV shows to your bretheren.

So I'm not playing WoW until 4.03 and we still have quite a few weeks to kill until then.

I think I'm pretty up-to-date on most Sci-Fi fantasy shows that have been on air in the last few years. So I'd like to hear if there are still some undiscovered jewels waiting out there for me.

Things that I need to keep me hocked:
    -Continuous plot: I need an overarching story, not just pure filler-episodes, one of the reasons I could never get into Star Trek.
    -Not too dated special effects: Cheap CGI just really turns me off.

So now about the shows I currently watch (ignoring Sitcoms etc.)
    -Dexter
    -The Event
    -Breaking Bad
    -Caprica (never thought it was that great though)
    -Sons of Anarchy
    -The Big C
    -Rubicon (slow, but grew on me)

Shows I enjoyed in the past years:
    -Chuck up to Season 3
    -Farscape (good, but not super)
    -BattleStar Galactica
    -Jericho
    -The Wire
    -Flash Forward (was good, but not great)
    -Firefly
    -Pillars of Earth
    -The Dollhouse (again, good but not great)
    -Spartacus
    -The Pacific
    -Band of Brothers
    -Doctor Who Season 5 (didn't like Season 1 much so skipped right into S5)
    -Babylon 5 (long time ago)
    -Heroes Season 1
    -V

Now that should to give you a general impression of what I'm into. When it comes to Fantasy it's hard to find an appealing show. Fantasy either takes itself too seriously and ends up being cheesy or doesn't take itself seriously which ruins the drama.

You might have noticed the absence of any Star Trek show on my list. While I'm a Sci-Fi fan I didn't grow up with a TV in our house so I never really got into the habit of following TNG. And nowadays I need a continuous plot to hold my attention. I know that DS9 had more of a story-arc but I'm not sure where to start. S1-S5 seem to be very dull for most part.

Anyway, shows like Jericho and Spartacus e.g. are shows I wouldn't have come across is somebody didn't recommend them to me. Maybe there's more gems out there and you can point me into the right direction.

Edit: I know metacritic.com is great for stuff like that but it's not good with older shows.
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2010-10-31 at 10:35 PM.

Human Target
    V (the new version).

Heroes if probably the only serie i've actually watched so I can only reccomend that, but if your into anything, to be exact, anime, then I would reccomend Code Geass & Death Note

Quote Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos View Post
    Human Target
    V (the new version).
    I loved both of these series. Cant wait for S2 for both.

@OP:

-Nikita
    -The Mentalist
    -Supernatural (tbh, the first few seasons were pretty good, but season 4(or was it 3?) onwards are just ridiculously brilliant)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Sons of Anarchy

Edit: just realized you already have that in your post. Its worth mentioning again though

As for fantasy shows - Merlin. At first I thought it was going to be cheesy but it's actually well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Maku View Post
    As for fantasy shows - Merlin. At first I thought it was going to be cheesy but it's actually well done.
    THIS. I can't say I'm a huge fan of english tv and their style of comedy, but the BBC does some great sci-fi and fantasy shows. Of course you like Dr. Who so you know that already. Merlin is really well done. It has tons of comedy in it as well. It about arthur before he becomes king, something that hasn't really been explored much in media I believe. The actors who play merlin and prince arthur have awsome chemistry. Seriously, you always talk about the chemistry between a man and a woman on screen, but those two are great. The action is pretty good to. It might not be as hard hitting as some stuff, but it doesn't look fake like in some other shows. You should be able to watch it on hulu if its still up.

Others I really liked were Nip/Tuck and Rescue Me. Though I am guessing you know about them and chose not to watch them since you watch sons of anarchy. I would also recommend the stargate shows. Start with SG-1 until season seven, then starting in season eight you can also watch atlantis. Some great laughs in those and some memorable characters. Universe is the new one which is pretty good, though its most like BSG with less laughs and more drama.

Lastly I would say Sanctuary. Its an awsome show and 90%+ of it is done on a green screen with animated backgrounds which is cool. They do a great job of making it look real for the most part.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you have an iPod touch or iPhone you can download the first episode of Heroes for free off of iTunes. It definitely got me interested in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrac View Post
    Universe is the new one which is pretty good, though its most like BSG with less laughs and more drama.
    Finally, someone else who likes SGU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

House is really the only show I watch on TV.
    Heroes was good until season 2.

Deleted
    For action series: 24 is the best(actually any others dont even come to mind).
    For comedy: Two And a Half Men and Friends.
    Other really good ones are Heroes, Mentalist, House, Dexter and Vampire Diaries(You might think it's like Twilight, but it's really 100 times better :P)

For Sci-Fi - Fringe/ some of the Stargates
    Gangster drama in the 1920s - Boardwalk Empire
    Historical - Rome/The Tudors
    Sitcom - It Crowd
    Comedy-drama - Weeds
    Last edited by haxartus; 2010-11-01 at 01:03 PM.

Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Wire, The Sopranos

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naamari View Post
    For action series: 24 is the best(actually any others dont even come to mind).
    For comedy: Two And a Half Men and Friends.
    Other really good ones are Heroes, Mentalist, House, Dexter and Vampire Diaries(You might think it's like Twilight, but it's really 100 times better :P)
    Which season of 24 is the best? I've seen the first and watched some single episodes of other season but I know some are quite bad. With 8 season I don't want to watch them all.

As for Merlin, I did see a few of the early episodes. I thought it was fine for an afternoon fantasy show but it didn't really grip me. Funny enough, it does seem to have been going quite well. Maybe it's worth another shot. If it is anywhere near a good as that BBC Robin Hood show it will be.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Which season of 24 is the best? I've seen the first and watched some single episodes of other season but I know some are quite bad. With 8 season I don't want to watch them all.
    In my opinion the 1-4 seasons are all incredibly good, too bad it got worse after that.
    However the second half of the 8th season is just pure badass, when the creators knew the end is inevitable, Jack went nutsD

Any my recommendation: LOST. The best TV show with a continuous plot. Very good plot, wonderfull scene, credible characters, good drama, and unbelievable music
    Talking to Majordomo before we are all ready will give you a quest: [60][R]Looking for guild!

The Walking Dead

---------- Post added 2010-11-04 at 08:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Raur0s View Post
    In my opinion the 1-4 seasons are all incredibly good, too bad it got worse after that.
    However the second half of the 8th season is just pure badass, when the creators knew the end is inevitable, Jack went nutsD

Any my recommendation: LOST. The best TV show with a continuous plot. Very good plot, wonderfull scene, credible characters, good drama, and unbelievable music
    Also, there was a time when I would have agreed with this guy about Lost. After watching shows like Supernatural and Dexter, shows that have a beggining, middle and satisfying ending with most or all loose ends tied up, I simply can't.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow