Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

My Volatile Air farming report - Engineering

Most of the Engineers already know that you will need a lot of Volatile Air to make Electrified Ether (http://cata.wowhead.com/item=67749#reagent-for), and You need Electrified Ether for a lot of the new Engineering recipes.

There are no gas clouds anymore for engineers, instead there is a new device called Electrostatic Condenser (http://cata.wowhead.com/item=67494) and here is the description: "Allows a skilled engineer to occasionally collect Volatile Air while mining, skinning, or collecting herbs."

I first tried to farm Volatile Air by killing mobs with a lvl 85 warrior in full heroic blue gear. I got 3 Volatile Air after farming for 17 minutes. I used around 60 just to reach 525 in engineering so it's a really low drop rate I would say, and there is only one place where you can farm it in Twilight Highlands. (at least I couldn't find other places)

Today, I leveled mining with my engineering character and I was suprised how often Volatile Air drops, in about 4 minutes I mined 12 Obsidium Deposit, and I found Volatile Air in 9 of them, 3 out of these 9 gave me 2 Volatile Air, so I got 12 Volatile Air in about 4 minutes.

UPDATE:

I just finished leveling mining.

Number of items I got between 425-525:

28 Volatile Earth
    25 Volatile Water
    23 Volatile Fire
    139 Volatile Air

I think they will nerf the droprate, it just seems too high compared to the others.

original post: http://www.wow-professions.com/news/...ring-cataclysm
    Last edited by mmoc3a88d6d3b0; 2010-11-09 at 01:04 AM.

Deleted
    Shame there are no gas clouds as it means if you want decent drops of Volatile air you have to have certain combinations for your professions, whereas with the mote-extractor it's fairer as you can have any other profession with engineering.

Do it the same way you always had to level engineering....get mining, have an alt use thier mining, or buy of the AH. Pretty standard "required" combinations of professions.

Deleted
    Finally us engineers can pay their bills

But i don't want mining and engineering. I want Eng and JC. Maybe they'll put clouds in later =/
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Man, Vanilla was so cool, where the final boss of the instance dropped weapons that shared models with blues and greens!
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17076#same-model-as
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17074#same-model-as
    and he went on and listed about 16 more items...truly...a champion for logic

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Northrend.. or somewhere equally cold at least.
    Shame, since I wont have gathering on any on my engineering toons as of Cata.. :/

Deleted
    I updated the first post after I finished leveling mining.

While nice that Engineering has such money-making potential, it's a serious shame that it requires you to also have another gathering profession along with it. I really, really have no desire to drop JC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XemnasXD View Post
    But i don't want mining and engineering. I want Eng and JC. Maybe they'll put clouds in later =/
    ^this. Seems odd in world of casual craft to essentially make on profession require another. Thats like making the 2hr duration of flasks for alchamists only work if you have herbing on that toon. Hopefully they put clouds in. Or even make it BoA.

That's a bummer for anyone with two raiding professions... =(

Thank God my main has mining/engineering. It supplies all my other toons with ores/gems/etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    While nice that Engineering has such money-making potential, it's a serious shame that it requires you to also have another gathering profession along with it. I really, really have no desire to drop JC.
    This, gonna be disappointed/pissed if this isn't changed.

I really hope they fix this if its like the OP makes it seem. I don't have a problem with my engineer not being able to farm these but he makes it sound like the only viable way to farm them is to be an engineer with a gathering profession.

The reason I got engineering was because tailoring doesn't need a gathering profession with it. Obviously I don't mind not being able to gather or profit off my professions but I really want to be able to level and utilize engineering without having to overpay for something all engineers (and other profs probably) will need but will be really scarce to all but those who just happen to have eng/gathering.

I would be more accepting of this change if gathering profs weren't garbage for raiding pre-4.0 lifeblood. We've had nearly 2 years of WotLK to level eng with mining and drop mining for something useful. In 2 years you could have gotten alts with all the gathering professions. I've wasted enough time dropping and powerleveling professions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deneweth View Post
    I really hope they fix this if its like the OP makes it seem. I don't have a problem with my engineer not being able to farm these but he makes it sound like the only viable way to farm them is to be an engineer with a gathering profession.

The reason I got engineering was because tailoring doesn't need a gathering profession with it. Obviously I don't mind not being able to gather or profit off my professions but I really want to be able to level and utilize engineering without having to overpay for something all engineers (and other profs probably) will need but will be really scarce to all but those who just happen to have eng/gathering.

I would be more accepting of this change if gathering profs weren't garbage for raiding pre-4.0 lifeblood. We've had nearly 2 years of WotLK to level eng with mining and drop mining for something useful. In 2 years you could have gotten alts with all the gathering professions. I've wasted enough time dropping and powerleveling professions.
    Most of the mobs in The Vortex Pinnacle also drops Volatile Air, I wasn't there yet, so I can't confirm the actual drop rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterwp View Post
    Most of the mobs in The Vortex Pinnacle also drops Volatile Air, I wasn't there yet, so I can't confirm the actual drop rate.
    Correct. Outside of drops off instance mobs, an Engineer with a gathering profession is the only way to obtain Volatile Air. So if you're an eng/gatherer, expect to make some bank off eng/crafter ppl once you've taken care of your own Volatile Air needs.

edit: apparently there are also elementals in Twilight Highlands that can drop airs.
    Last edited by Bricolage; 2010-11-09 at 12:57 AM.
    100 Rogue | 100 Priest | 93 Monk | 91 Druid | 91 Shaman | 90 Warrior | 90 Mage | 90 Hunter | 90 DK | 87 Warlock | 86 Pally

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I agree on this, I have no intention to drop enchanting for mining.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricolage View Post
    Correct. Outside of drops off instance mobs, an Engineer with a gathering profession is the only way to obtain Volatile Air. So if you're an eng/gatherer, expect to make some bank off eng/crafter ppl once you've taken care of your own Volatile Air needs.

edit: apparently there are also elementals in Twilight Highlands that can drop airs.
    Yeah, I mentionited it in the first post, that I tried to farm Air first.

I'm really hoping that they change this, even just making the item BoA would be perfect.

If not I guess my Eng/Tailor and Herb/JC will be swapping professions.

i've always been confused with people who don't take a gathering profession on each character. do you enjoy having to play the game on another tune just to farm materials? do you really feel the extra stats on your raiding character make or break your raid performance? honestly curious here.

Quote Originally Posted by Martana View Post
    i've always been confused with people who don't take a gathering profession on each character. do you enjoy having to play the game on another tune just to farm materials? do you really feel the extra stats on your raiding character make or break your raid performance? honestly curious here.
    You aren't serious, are you? Many serious raiding guilds won't even consider taking on raiders that do not have two professions that directly benefit their class.
    Also hell, maybe I like jewelcrafting. Maybe I like alchemy. Why should I be required to pair Engineering with a gathering profession to make money? No other profession comes with that particular caveat.
    It'd be one thing if Engineering had another viable method of making money, but I would much rather the profession have no way to make cash easily, rather than have such a silly requirement in order to make money with it.