Deleted
    Well sy i watched full metal panic, first i tought i only watched the first couple of episodes and after watching more and more i realized i already watched -,- , good anime tough liked it very much.

Well, to the reply's from Sy and Deamoneyes i agree with you guys 200% that the animation nowadays is a million times better then what they were in the early 90's but, I disagree with the statement that the storytelling was not as good as it is today for the fact that there has only really been a handfull of animes in the past few year that have stood out from the normal generic anime stories and back then it was all new and it was amazing that their were "cartoons" telling some really touchy subjects. And i guess i just hold the early stuff on a higher level for nostalgic reasons anywho here are some recommendations i haven't seen up in the thread yet.

Martian Successor Nadesico - The series takes place in the year 2196. Earth is at war with a race of alien invaders called the "Jovian Lizards". A company called Nergal designs a space battleship, the ND-001 Nadesico. While the ship is powerful and its crew consists of the top civilian experts in their fields, these individuals tend to have "some slight personality disorders"
    Watch if you liked: Full Metal Panic, Godannar

Cowboy Bebop - Cowboy Bebop revolves around a crew of bounty hunters living in the spaceship named Bebop. They are a team of bounty hunters who travel the Solar System trying to apprehend bounties. Jet Black is the owner of the Bebop who has partnered with Spike Spiegel for his diverse combat skills. During their travels, the Bebop ship gained new crew members such as Ein, Faye, and Edward.
    Watch if you liked: Samurai Champloo, Black Lagoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by futomara View Post
    Well sy i watched full metal panic, first i tought i only watched the first couple of episodes and after watching more and more i realized i already watched -,- , good anime tough liked it very much.
    i guess you're talking about the 1st season? if so, you need to watch FUMOFFU! now!!
    there is much less action but simply great humor all the time.
    the 3rd season (The Second Raid) is more like the first one again.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    haven't watched it myself. it's a classic in the harem-romance genre and was one of the first of those for many people, but it's actually not special in any way compared to the average harem-romance anime of today^^ there are already much better ones (humor, romance, drama, story(telling), characters, animation).

Quote Originally Posted by Jizmac View Post
    I disagree with the statement that the storytelling was not as good as it is today for the fact that there has only really been a handfull of animes in the past few year that have stood out from the normal generic anime stories
    the great majority of animes are indeed not very special or creative in terms of storytelling, because most animes are relatively cheap productions and made for kids or teens (although the percentage of those is not as high in japan as it is in western countries).
    but it's only natural to judge animes by the best ones we have today, because they show what is possible. and that's not only true for animes. the great majority of computer games for example are cheap productions too, which are designed for people who don't really have experience with "good" games.

also, i guess you mentioned and/or remembered relatively few of the old animes as well, because those were the ones who stood out. it doesn't really make sense to compare the popular and good ones of the old animes to the average and relatively bad ones of the new anmies. that's a common mistake when people try to compare old and new things.
    back then it was all new and it was amazing that their were "cartoons" telling some really touchy subjects.
    actually, no. it may have been new for you and probably a lot of people in western countries, but if you're talking about 15 year old animes that concept was not new.
    animes were already quite popular since about 1980 in japan (again Kidou Senshi Gundam as good example, which was released in 1979) and one of the first popular "touchy cartoons" was Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - in 1937.
    And i guess i just hold the early stuff on a higher level for nostalgic reasons
    fair enough, partly explains why "new" anime fans don't think as good about many of the animes you mentioned as you do.

your "watch if you liked:" thing is a nice idea btw

Deleted
    Well yeah sy didn't know it went further then episode 24 will watch fufufufofoofmfifofu

And i guess i just hold the early stuff on a higher level for nostalgic reasons anywho here are some recommendations i haven't seen up in the thread yet.
    Well all remembers something nostalgic being better than it was, same for everyone. Love hina was the first i saw and loved it, nostalgi keeps telling me it was one of the best ive seen, now im pretty sure thats not the case but it still lies in a warm spot in my heart.

Cowboy Bebop -
    Watch if you liked: Samurai Champloo, Black Lagoon
    I really need to pull myself together and watch Bebop, ive been passing it up for years :/

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    i guess you're talking about the 1st season? if so, you need to watch FUMOFFU! now!!
    there is much less action but simply great humor all the time.
    Episode 7 <3, i still crack up to that episode just thinking about it.

actually, no. it may have been new for you and probably a lot of people in western countries, but if you're talking about 15 year old animes that concept was not new.
    animes were already quite popular since about 1980 in japan (again Kidou Senshi Gundam as good example, which was released in 1979) and one of the first popular "touchy cartoons" was Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - in 1937.
    Lets take it one step further and talk about the roots of Anime which was Manga which meaning started around 1798 and among the first books to be called Manga was created in 1814, since you mentioned a Disney i guess its just as fair to say that Comics (the origin of the western Cartoons) whoms roots goes back to the 18th century aswell, more modern style comics came around in the 19th century thou.

10+ Year Old Account
    UPDATE II: added Toradora!, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Mononoke Hime and edited some other details.

Quote Originally Posted by Deamoneyes View Post
    Episode 7 <3, i still crack up to that episode just thinking about it.
    i think my favorite would be episode #3, although it's been quite a while since i watched all of them^^
    Lets take it one step further and talk about the roots of Anime which was Manga
    strictly speaking, i wasn't talking about the roots of animes, but merely about when "touchy cartoons" became popular and known by a greater number of people.
    Disneys' success did influence many animes though.
    Last edited by Sy; 2010-12-17 at 12:09 PM.

i think my favorite would be episode #3, although it's been quite a while since i watched all of them^^
    Ep #7 = rugby team

strictly speaking, i wasn't talking about the roots of animes, but merely about when "touchy cartoons" became popular and known by a greater number of people.
    Disneys' success did influence many animes though.
    Ah yes, i was more on the current age of the style that is manga (which essentially is anime), so happy 196th birthday manga *whistles*

Btw was Snow White really the first touchy story that was published?

10+ Year Old Account
    Btw was Snow White really the first touchy story that was published?
    probably not, but it was one of the first that became popular and successful to a broader audience.

oh btw, you all need to watch Toradora! xD
    i tried to stay relatively objective in the description i wrote, but i simply love this anime. clearly one of my few best favorites now
    Last edited by Sy; 2010-11-26 at 11:29 AM.

probably not, but it was one of the first that became popular and successful to a broader audience.

oh btw, you all need to watch Toradora! xD
    i tried to stay relatively objective in the description i wrote, but i simply love this anime. clearly one of my few best favorites now
    Im reading it

trust me, with having read 100+ and following 100+ more, your kinda everywhere in the manga section
    Last edited by Deamoneyes; 2010-11-26 at 06:03 PM.

UPDATE II: added Toradora! Princess Mononoke
    I love you Sy <3

Now.
    Spirited Away. Gogogo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im reading it

trust me, with having read 100+ and following 100+ more, your kinda everywhere in the manga section
    i just like watching animes more than reading mangas, except for a few examples like Berserk where the anime is good but only tells a very mall piece of the actual story.

Quote Originally Posted by Renagade Raven View Post
    I love you Sy <3
    i know
    Now.
    Spirited Away. Gogogo.
    nah, i have too many animes i need to watch xD

nah, i have too many animes i need to watch xD
    I hate you Sy. >=7
    Now.
    Spirited Away. Gogogo.

(My love is fickle =P)

15+ Year Old Account
    Spirited away is an AMAZING Anime Movie, you should watch it when you have the time :P
    Dawwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by bahumut5 View Post
    Spirited away is an AMAZING Anime Movie, you should watch it when you have the time :P
    The story is quite unique and memorable, truely a Gibhli piece, watch it when you got time Sy

i just like watching animes more than reading mangas, except for a few examples like Berserk where the anime is good but only tells a very mall piece of the actual story.
    Sadly this is the case for alot of people, doesnt even know how much theyre missing out :P

Am I the only one who thought it was mediocre?
    ...But I think it's because I was around 9 years old when I watched it... in German.

Think I have to rewatch it.
    Rewatch it with japanese audio and eng subs, makes alot of difference...but ill agree that its a bit less impressive than Mononoke and Howls, but its still well worth the watch imo

And why german? for us swedes that just gotta suck at the age of 9

15+ Year Old Account
    So.. I'm out. I've watched too much.
    I am trying to find a new Anime but I just can't find one that sounds interesting enough for me to watch it.
    Sy! Help mah!
    Dawwwwwww

So.. I'm out. I've watched too much.
    I am trying to find a new Anime but I just can't find one that sounds interesting enough for me to watch it.
    Sy! Help mah!
    What genres are you looking for?

Believe it or not, when I was a kid I watched German TV since it was the only thing that I could watch in my own room
    So I learned the German language.. from watching German cartoons >_>
    xD

15+ Year Old Account
    Anything really, as long as it has a very good story line.
    Can't tell what genres exactly, but I can say the 5 last Anime I have watched :P
    Maybe that will give you an idea

Toaru Majutsu no Index (Season 1 & 2)
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Season 2, which is partly Season 1 I guess :P )
    Kampfer
    Ichiban no Dai Maô
    Black Lagoon (Re-watched for the 6th time. I just love it )
    Dawwwwwww

Anything really, as long as it has a very good story line.
    Can't tell what genres exactly, but I can say the 5 last Anime I have watched :P
    Maybe that will give you an idea
    Allright ill name a few, heading to bed after that so i wont see any response until tomorrow, hope youll like some of them atleast;

BBB (Black Blood Brothers)
    Gits
    Maria Holic hm skeptic...but its humorous..
    Midori no Hibi
    Solty Rei
    Tenjou Tenge skeptic
    Ergo Proxy
    Saiunkoku Monogatari
    Sword of the Stranger
    Witch Hunter Robin

... .... .... zzzZZzzzZZZzzzzZZZzz..

15+ Year Old Account
    2 new ones!
    Thanks a lot, Ill check them out
    Dawwwwwww