Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Swipe - Nerfed TOO hard?

So we all know that Bear damage was nerfed recently, but it doesn't seem to be "17%" and "20%", especially not for Swipe. My druid's only 62, and before 4.0.3a, tanking was just fine and dandy:

(These are just ballpark figures, from what I experienced)
    Maul - 250-350, 600 crit
    Mangle - 650-850, 1500 crit
    Swipe - 450-600, 1000-1100 crit

Now, after the "17%" and "20%", it's:

Maul - 150-250, 450 crit
    Mangle - 500-650, 900 crit
    Swipe - 100-150, 250 crit

Why was Swipe nerfed so much? 1050 crit -> 250 crit is NOT 20% and 17% reduction. Using 1100 as an example, 20% reduction would bring it down to 880, and another 17% from 880 would bring it down to 730. Not 250. It's to the point where even the slightest AoE is too much for me to handle, like a Cone of Cold or Dragon's Breath from a mage, or Rain of Fire, etc, mobs just fly off of me because Swipe hits for so little. Hell, often the HEALER pulls off of me, if I don't hit every single mob with either a Maul or a Mangle. Pulls of more than 4 are just horrendous.

So is this atrocious swipe nerf a bug, errors with low level scaling, or "Working as Intended" ?

(No, this is not a troll thread. I'm dead serious =/ )
    Last edited by Vook; 2010-11-28 at 12:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    So we all know that Bear damage was nerfed recently, but it doesn't seem to be "17%" and "20%", especially not for Swipe. My druid's only 62, and before 4.0.3a, tanking was just fine and dandy:

(These are just ballpark figures, from what I experienced)
    Maul - 250-350, 600 crit
    Mangle - 650-850, 1500 crit
    Swipe - 450-600, 1000-1100 crit

Now, after the "17%" and "20%", it's:

Maul - 150-250, 450 crit
    Mangle - 500-650, 900 crit
    Swipe - 100-150, 250 crit

Why was Swipe nerfed so much? 1050 crit -> 250 crit is NOT 20% and 17% reduction. Using 1100 as an example, 20% reduction would bring it down to 880, and another 17% from 880 would bring it down to 730. Not 250. It's to the point where even the slightest AoE is too much for me to handle, like a Cone of Cold or Dragon's Breath from a mage, or Rain of Fire, etc, mobs just fly off of me because Swipe hits for so little. Hell, often the HEALER pulls off of me, if I don't hit every single mob with either a Maul or a Mangle. Pulls of more than 4 are just horrendous.

So is this atrocious swipe nerf a bug, errors with low level scaling, or "Working as Intended" ?

(No, this is not a troll thread. I'm dead serious =/ )
    I think it may be a scaling bug, have you tried reporting the problem to a gm yet?
    There was a lot of talk about Earthquake before only ticking for 400s, and critting 900s, until 4.0.3a came a long and it now scales properly with spell power, dealing proper damage.
    Yes and no, but maybe.

Well every class has gotten a bit of a "nerf" recently.

I'm guessing that it's working fine at 85 :>

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want something done about it your better off posting on the actual wow forums.

15+ Year Old Account
    i haven't played my druid all that recently, but i have noticed bear tanks seem to be having a bit of a threat problem at the moment, just like my warrior does, i think some of these damage nerfs were, as usual overnerfed like blizzard always does, it's quickly making my warrior unplayable
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

Yeah, what Alski said, put this on the actual WoW forums, or send an in-game ticket to notify them, hell, maybe even both!But I am pretty sure something such as this is just a scaling bug after they tweaked the move, happened with my shaman's Earthquake; and apparently someone's warrior?
    Yes and no, but maybe.

Already at least 2 topics like that on this forum and another 10ish on the wow forums.

I, also recently level a druid have had problems taking since 4.0, swipe just doesn't work the same and sinxe 4.0.3 I can no longer use swipe when I am moving, is that just me or always been that way?

Swipe should have never been stronger than your Maul in the first place.

Well I went to the Druid forum on the official forums, and it said "Posting is currently restricted on this forum" when I tried to post. :x

I did submit a ticket about it though. Still waiting on an answer...."We are currently experiencing a high volume of petitions"
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm

Either way, with the damage output it has, it seems more like an opener to get things on you like Thunderclap and then its old school tab Mauling to sustain the threat like Warriors had to do in the past. Which is far more interesting than the old, "roll your face over Swipe and Maul".

10+ Year Old Account
    My Swipe used to crit for about 5.5k-6k, now it doesn't go above 1.6k

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately, this is working as intended... Your best bet is to get Omen, and see if you can't "relearn" so to speak, how to AoE tank with single Target abilities. It's gonna be a real pain without our best (and only) AoE ability, but there you have it. It looks like bears have the option to 'relearn how to tank' or go for kitty. Sorry mate, it's a bitter pill I know.
    Cheers, and keep that head up.
    If you say the game is too easy, try the hard-modes.
    If you say that every casual in the game has end-game lvl gear, try the hard-modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    The forums have closed there are new ones, I'm pretty sure that there's a link there.
    Yeah, I see that now...the new forums appear to be working fine. I looked at a few of the threads, and people are saying that Swipe is currently bugged, that it's not scaling properly with level. (IE, it's stuck at the level 36 version of the spell) Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by chisuji View Post
    Either way, with the damage output it has, it seems more like an opener to get things on you like Thunderclap and then its old school tab Mauling to sustain the threat like Warriors had to do in the past. Which is far more interesting than the old, "roll your face over Swipe and Maul".
    I always used tab target and maul/swipe... now it's just annoying with the HUGE nerf to swipe...
    I just stick to moonkin now.

15+ Year Old Account
    AoE tanking definitely (and intentionally) requires a lot more work than it has since TBC. The swipe damage reduction was pretty harsh (it hit for too much, certainly, but it's a pretty low-damage ability now), but keep in mind we get an AoE bleed at 81 that will greatly augment our AoE tanking abilities.

Swipe was nerfed for level 85 purposes with the assumption we'll be having Thrash as well. At low levels it seems like you'll just have to tab unless they bring it back up a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Hell, often the HEALER pulls off of me, if I don't hit every single mob with either a Maul or a Mangle.
    Your healers need to L2P and watch their damn threat. Kidding.

But if what you said is true, and Blizzard's idea that healers getting aggro while AoE tanking is not what they had in mind, then this nerf maybe was overdone. Or a wake-up call to change tanking routines as Bear.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Honestly, I just faction changed my Druid to Horde Side to become a Troll after not touching him for a good 6 months (Went completely Horde but dislike playing Tauren :P) right after 4.0.3a went live, and it took my all of one dungeon to level out what I needed to do to AoE tank now that swipe was ineffective. Lace the swipes in, tab lacerate to get the bleed up on everyone (At least until we get our AoE-bleed for tanking), hit everything with a little bit of damage but keep the focus on your main target with mauls/mangles. The rule comes down to this: If you can hold threat on it all, then it's not an AoE pack, and people could get hurt if they rip off of you (Not so much true other than MAYBE H-HoR, but much moreso in Cata). If you can't keep AoE threat on everything, then chances are they'll all be dead before you could get a bleed up on them anyway.

The basic premise, moving into Cata, is that pulls are going to revert to being single-target + CC, so in light of perfect CC, any extra mobs should get some Lacerates up on them so build residual threat while you beat the crap out of your main target. Right now there isn't a lot of time for this, but hey, there's not a lot of threat either.

As far as raids go, that's where your players have to be smarter about watching their threat. It feels just like the good old days when I used to tank SSC/TK... Ahh..

And as a final note... I have never had a healer pull off of me o.O What the heck are you doin', man? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zolon View Post
    Honestly, I just faction changed my Druid to Horde Side to become a Troll after not touching him for a good 6 months (Went completely Horde but dislike playing Tauren :P) right after 4.0.3a went live, and it took my all of one dungeon to level out what I needed to do to AoE tank now that swipe was ineffective. Lace the swipes in, tab lacerate to get the bleed up on everyone (At least until we get our AoE-bleed for tanking), hit everything with a little bit of damage but keep the focus on your main target with mauls/mangles. The rule comes down to this: If you can hold threat on it all, then it's not an AoE pack, and people could get hurt if they rip off of you (Not so much true other than MAYBE H-HoR, but much moreso in Cata). If you can't keep AoE threat on everything, then chances are they'll all be dead before you could get a bleed up on them anyway.

The basic premise, moving into Cata, is that pulls are going to revert to being single-target + CC, so in light of perfect CC, any extra mobs should get some Lacerates up on them so build residual threat while you beat the crap out of your main target. Right now there isn't a lot of time for this, but hey, there's not a lot of threat either.

As far as raids go, that's where your players have to be smarter about watching their threat. It feels just like the good old days when I used to tank SSC/TK... Ahh..
    Read the first line of my post. I'm level 62, not 80. :P I don't have Lacerate or any of that, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolon View Post
    And as a final note... I have never had a healer pull off of me o.O What the heck are you doin', man? :P
    Tab-Maul/Mangle 'ing, with Swipes in between. It's the friggin Pally healers that are so common now, spamming their buffed Exorcism, not attacking what I'm attacking. With other healers, it's generally on big pulls where I'm taking lots of damage, where they'll pull off me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yalingo View Post
    Swipe was nerfed for level 85 purposes with the assumption we'll be having Thrash as well. At low levels it seems like you'll just have to tab unless they bring it back up a bit.
    So...they screw Bears in 4.0.1 by making them wait until level 36 for any sort of AoE threat, now they screw us until level 81, because our only AoE threat is shit? /facepalm

I mean, Paladin has good AoE threat (HotR, Consecrate, AS), Warrior has good AoE threat (Thunderclap + Blood&Thunder, Shockwave, Cleave), DKs have good AoE threat (DnD, Pestilence, Blood Boil), and all Druid has is Swipe, and a crappy Maul glyph.

I do hope that this is just a bug, because I get so frustrated not being able to hold threat, with the smallest AoE attacks from DPS pulling mobs off me.
    Last edited by Vook; 2010-11-28 at 05:23 AM.