Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadow Priest Add-On

Hey guys. I was wondering what's a good add-on for keeping track of dot timers. I haven't played in about a year and a half. I downloaded dotimer but it just seems so cumbersome. I haven't taken that much time to try to customize it, but I was wondering if anyone uses a different add-on.

Thanks

MFClip - Is an addon I've quiet often recommended to my buddies rolling alt Shadow Priests. What the addon is, it does help you time you casts, but the best thing for new players, or getting back into, as you seem to be, it will print out useful data on you most recent fight/training dummy. Basically it helps in training yourself in the up time of DoTs... More so in pre-4.0 since now you can re-cast a dot before it's over without causing it start over... Use to be where you'd cause yourself to loss DPS by clipping your DoTs, that's no longer the case.

But anyway... MFClip is a good addon to track DoTs, gives you a nice list, and a good visual per spell, rather that a sliding DoT timer bar with moving spell icons. (I could personally never get use to those.) Plus, what I love, it gives DoTs in milliseconds... Not as big 'now' in 4.0.3, but it still helps when looking at Mind Blast, and so forth.

Hope this helps It helped me in my early days, and still does since I use it as my DoT timer.

Also, if they ever update ShadowGreenLight for Cata....What this addon did was when you first cast SW:P it was whatever Crit, Haste, etc you had at the time of casting. This included when other class buffs were present on the boss. So if cast early, you'd need to re-apply it once other classes had a chance to apply their debuffs to the target, or when we had Shadow Weaving, if you cast before 5/5 you'd want to re-cast it. Basic gist of the addon was to tell you when you should re-apply SW:P. As of now it's broken, I hope to see it fixed, it did ask for me as a dummy check, but after playing so long, re-apply becomes second nature to knowing when it was needed to be re-applied.
    Last edited by BurninFingerTipz; 2010-12-02 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Added additional information about ShadowGreenLight.

I use ForteXorcist spell timer. Takes a little customizing but its awesome. You have have dot timers showing for all targets (this isn't so good if you don't have a big screen, very spammy) or just the target your currently looking at (this is the one I use). The good thing about having it set as one target only being showed is, when you tab target to other mobs you've dotted, it hides the last tgt and shows the dot times for that one.

It also gives you the options of HoT timers as well.

ForteXorcist is one of the best out there and I definitely recommend that. It's very customizable and its also user friendly. This timer actually lasted on my addon list for a whole week, whilst others only lasted like...a day.

I myself actually don't use timers since I am actually not used to the normal horizontal bar format. Every time I tried using it, it gimps my DPS coz i pay too much attention to it. However I am able to keep track of the default dot icons without any concentration required. This is why I don't currently use dot timers. Different people have different play styles.
    With that said I would like to ask if there's any timers out there that utilizes an "icon that fades clockwise" format or a format that's similar to the default dot icons.
    Last edited by zsun; 2010-12-02 at 08:05 AM.

I use NeedToKnow for my dots. As there isn't too many too keep track of, I never got too carried away. It works nicely as you can customize any buff/debuff/cooldown/dot to it, all in different colors, different size, in milliseconds, whatever you need. I use to play a warlock and I lived by this thing.

The only other main function I use is a Mind flay macro:

#showtooltip Mind Flay
    /cast [nochanneling:Mind Flay] Mind Flay

Fairly simple, and it keeps you Mind Flay from clipping, even if your spamming it. Not really an addon, but a great addition none the less.

With that said I would like to ask if there's any timers out there that utilizes an "icon that fades clockwise" format or a format that's similar to the default dot icons.
    If you use Dominos, there is Dominos_Bufftimes. This addon creates a 'fake cooldown' on the spell icons depending on the buff/debuff duration on the target. I use this in conjunction with another addon (I can't remember its name maybe Inline Aura?) that adds a numerical timer on the spell icons, and it works great for me.

Unfortunately it doesn't create a 'clock style bar' that you can bring whenever you want, though...

10+ Year Old Account
    shadowtimers because i hate when dot is represented with bar. there is already a bunch of "bar"-style things on my screen (dxe and other such stuff). also it shows when to recast my dots (timer scales with haste), how much orbs i have and i wish it could show empowered shadows and evangelism stacks

Deleted
    I use DoTimer, you do have to configure it quite a bit though to make it useful for shadow. Like whitelisting your 3 dots and stuff like that, but if you have that down then its a great addon. With that I use Facemelter, basically makes your shadowpriest as easy to play as a ret paladin pre 4.0.1

Deleted
    I just use Satrina Buff Frames with a separate frame for VT, DP and SW: P. On trash I tend to use TidyPlates: Neon theme with the bufftracker on so I can just see it overhead. SBF has always been my preference due to its flexibility and accuracy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BurninFingerTipz View Post
    Also, if they ever update ShadowGreenLight for Cata....What this addon did was when you first cast SW:P it was whatever Crit, Haste, etc you had at the time of casting. This included when other class buffs were present on the boss. So if cast early, you'd need to re-apply it once other classes had a chance to apply their debuffs to the target, or when we had Shadow Weaving, if you cast before 5/5 you'd want to re-cast it. Basic gist of the addon was to tell you when you should re-apply SW:P. As of now it's broken, I hope to see it fixed, it did ask for me as a dummy check, but after playing so long, re-apply becomes second nature to knowing when it was needed to be re-applied.
    It's not needed anymore, which is probably why it's not been updated.

Thanks to Pain and Suffering anytime MF resets the timer on SW:P it also re-applies whatever buffs you have running.

VT and DP would still need to be recast to benefit

I'd strongly reccommend that you try EventHorizon (LINK)

It gives you all the information that you need in terms of ability cooldowns, dot durations, and buffs such as shadow orbs on a compact bar that has a lot of customization. It basically has a set of bars which correspond to an ability or set of abilities which are displayed based on time, going from the current time (left side of the bar) to the future (right side of the bar) and the bars themselves slide left. It basically lets you plan when you need to recast something, or visually see when a conflict is going to happen in the near future to let you think about what you want to do.

If that explanation didn't make sense (which I bet it didn't) here's a picture from the description of it.

I personally can't use DoTimers or ForteXorcist after trying out EH

-Brusalk

Power aura's
    Got my own setup, wouldnt want to trade it for anything
    Originally Posted by spicie View Post
    Real Life is just an illusion caused by lack of WoW

15+ Year Old Account
    Since the day I tried buttontimers I never tried any other dot tracking addon. It's just perfect.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

I also use Event Horizon and strongly recommend it. It works extremely well and is not a memory hog. It also keeps track of trinket cooldowns/procs which is nice and it will work with all classes which is also nice for alts It does take a smidge to get used to it but I found it much easier and useful than the other dotimers listed so far.

I've used the Quartz timer right on my cast bar for 3 years now

I use Ovale and I like it a lot. I find when I don't have it on I get a bit lost. There is a default script available that works pretty well. You can also tweak the script however you like. Works for all classes too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to use Event Horizon and liked it a lot. With the increased emphasis on multi-dotting because Mind Sear is very nearly non-existent, I've moved to ForteXorcist because I really like the way it handles tracking multiple dots. As well, I have TellMeWhen for one thing and some power auras for others.

The Power Aura wiki has an excellent set of auras for a shadow priest. I've turned a few of them off since they duplicate some of my other addons and mildly tweaked others, but it's really useful. Especially the aura for shadow orbs.

It's all personal preference in the end.

Actually in 4.0.1 they added in a feature where tapping an ability between MF's 2nd and 3rd tick will delay to the end of the channel before rolling right into the next spell. (Well not MF specifically, actually all channeled spells) Pretty much the "spell queue" we've been asking for has been given to us. At this point the macro is just slowing down people with latency
    Your correct. I knew about spell queues, and for some reason it completely flew over my head that the macro would be of little use now. The only thing that would retain is if you were trying to make sure to not clip before the last tick, but that's easily manageable without a macro. I guess I'll just hide back in my den and keep to my Holy ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    can Event Horizon show dots not like bars but like smth else?

Quote Originally Posted by Wogga View Post
    can Event Horizon show dots not like bars but like smth else?
    No. It shows them as bars so you can see exactly when your ticks in the dots happen. Is slightly less useful now that when you recast a dot it just refreshes the duration instead of overwriting them. I still like it better than the other dot timers because it tracks the use/cd of mb and any proc trinks you might be using and the grafical interface conveys the information much more concisely for the way i think about things/play.