Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Smite healing is the most fun i've had in wrath heroics since launch...popping all cooldowns and hitting 3k dps while keeping group full is pretty satisfying. And it seems to fit the cata healing philosophy of no longer getting one-shot...its a good spell for the slower parts of a fight while preparing you for big damage incoming by building archangel stacks, not to mention saving tons of mana.
    The feeling returns whenever we close our eyes.

Is it worth it?

It is fun.
    Looks cool.
    Makes holy look like a worthless tree for leveling.
    It is fun.
    When you overgear content and don't need to heal it is fun.

Honestly the biggest reason to have it is that it is useful and fun.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HollerTH View Post
    Is it worth it?

It is fun.
    Looks cool.
    It is fun.

No reason to be useful in raid :P
    http://spamheal.wordpress.com/

SpamHeal – Restoration shaman & not only Blog
    Shaman mechanic, theory and practice blog.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    it got recently nerfed bad... before 5 stacks would give me around 6.3k mana back, now it only gives me 2.3... so for me i dont see it being worth it anymore... i might respec come cata...

Hi - the idea is that healing becomes trivial at times, and you can just do DPS instead at those times and make up the damage done a bit faster after popping off the buff.

So for instance, say there's a portion of the fight that's a DPS race where healing is inconsequential, wow, it's now useful.

Also imagine the same scenario in a BG. Using that ability can provide an edge in DPS with the option to buff healing.

It also makes levelling up as disc a lot easier.

So you have all those heals and do crappier DPS when you have opportunities to DPS. This is not useful in only trivial content, it has its places on progression. I mean, if you're really "lol disc raid healer" all that matters is shield anyway, so you're really splitting hairs about which tangentially useful abilities you're buffing.

It's also placed in disc to act as a funnel for a few points into disc for shadow priests. It makes more sense to put it there than in holy. So perhaps the intention isn't entirely for raids and healing, but for disc levelling and shadow dps increase.

It's fun. That's about all it's good for.

If the priests in the top guilds on your server are specing into it, they probably aren't thinking very hard about their decision. The mana return has been nerfed to the point where smiting is a mana loss, the heal is pretty crap and you lose out on some major survivability talents by going smite spec. I had it for a while just to fool around and have some laughs in heroics (and to get mana returns on LK during transitions), but when our talents got reset in the latest patch, I totally ditched it and maxed out Inner Sanctum and Focused Will.

For 5 man heroics yes it is a fun talent, out DPSing some DPS on the runs makes the a little more exciting.

I still use it on ICC runs. LK it is worth it for the 15% buff to healing done IMO. I dont see how a 10-12k heal from doing dmg isnt worth it, when you saving your stacks for a transition or if say one of your healers is in frostmourn or get picked up by a valk. Yeah we cant spam it now and keep our mana topped off perma, but you can cast it when there is time and pop out some much needed mana or healing. I dont know, I still like it and plan to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxham View Post
    you can cast it when there is time and pop out some much needed mana or healing.
    It's a mana loss, so you aren't getting any of that much needed mana from it. And the +healing, to me, isn't worth the lost mana, heals, GCDs, and survivability talents.
    Last edited by Liliyah; 2010-12-02 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liliyah View Post
    It's a mana loss, so you aren't getting any of that much needed mana from it. And the +healing, to me, isn't worth the lost mana, heals, GCDs, and survivability talents.
    here is a really great post read it!
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1127155129

you really have to take into account as of what all smite healing does. not only does it heal, it also reduces the CD of your penance spell. and since you Teir 11 regen works off of penance the more you cast it the better!

yes the heal from attonement can be RNG some times. but you have to give blizzard smart heal AI some credit. smart healz will priorities players over pet anyday.

these are just some of my thoughts

---------- Post added 2010-12-02 at 02:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Liliyah View Post
    some points from the post i linked above about the mana cost and return archangel at 85:
    5 Smites = 13585 - Evangelism returning 5% total mana (~4500) , total cost of 9085 mana.

5 Heals = 9266 mana.

so archangel mana return isnt really a boost in mana what it truly function as a refund for smiting
    Last edited by PlatedPriest; 2010-12-02 at 08:53 PM.

That post really didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. =\ I'm still not sold on the idea of smite healing. Maybe when I'm raiding at 85, I'll see things differently, but for now, my major gripes still stand:
    1. ) I can't heal people who are more than 14 yards away from whatever I'm smiting.
    2. ) I can't control who I am healing. Smart heals aren't always awesome.
    3. ) I'm forced to sacrifice two survivability talents by investing those 5 points in smite.

Edited because I was herp derping when thinking about the potential 4pc benefit.
    Last edited by Liliyah; 2010-12-02 at 10:03 PM.

Uh... that post is pretty bad. First of all it's comparing a 5 stack Smite vs Heal, but according to the rest of the post you're at a mana loss if you cast Smite more than 5 times. This means at a maximum you'll only cast Smite with a 4 stack. This means the 8k SP number is wrong. The posted apparently did not realize this error.

If Smite is cast 6 times it costs 15,745 mana, take away the assumed 4500 mana and that is 11,245. If Heal is cast 6 times it costs 11,118. This difference goes up with each addition cast of Smite. You must also consider that only Smites beyond 5 will break even with Heal. The initial 5 will not. This is not the cast on any casts directed at the tank as there is no possible SP scaling at 85 which will allow Atonement to outdo Heal on a target with Grace active.

What this means is Smite is only worthwhile if you have mana to spare and the tank does not need healing, but someone in melee range of the boss does. And by the way the smart heal works off health ratios. They check to see what target at deficit health has the lowest absolute health. If that happens to be a pet it will prioritize the pet. It almost never is because of their AOE damage reductions. This also means that you are significantly less likely to heal a tank if a melee target is under maximum health. A Rogue at 75% will have less absolute health than a tank at 50%, so the Rogue will be healed.

...and the T11 bonus lasts 10 seconds. Penance has an 8s cooldown which triggers at the cast, but Penance procs the bonus with each hit, so you only need to cast Penance every 11-12 seconds to get 100% uptime. Smite lowering the cooldown on Penance has other implications, but T11 uptime isn't one of them.

Is it worth it?

It is fun.
    Looks cool.
    It is fun.

This. In almost every instance of raid/dungeon I have found time where I can have a breather and lolsmitespam.

I went into a normal, helping a friend, and I out-DPSed many of the fresh 80's in there. Gave me a nice good laugh.

Basically, it's Discipline's mana return mechanic (pretty much all healers have DPS-based mana return mechanics now). Mana's not an issue now, but it will be in Cataclysm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Smite healing is a welcome change and weaving heals inbetween smites is quite easy, and in Cata holy priests can do it too and ontop of that we'll be able to get instant flash heals off our smites. Relying completely on smite isn't wise, but being able to dps and heal at the same time is awesome. I have 1 of every type of healer and Priest is finally my favourite again. Can't wait to see how they go in Cata.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I would MUCH rather have the faster cast times from Holy. /shrug

---------- Post added 2010-12-03 at 01:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vastatio View Post
    Smite healing is a welcome change and weaving heals inbetween smites is quite easy, and in Cata holy priests can do it too and ontop of that we'll be able to get instant flash heals off our smites. Relying completely on smite isn't wise, but being able to dps and heal at the same time is awesome. I have 1 of every type of healer and Priest is finally my favourite again. Can't wait to see how they go in Cata.
    You should check out a Holy Paladin nowadays. If you choose a couple of the more offensive talents, Exorcism is extremely cheap to cast and you can deal pretty great damage spamming exorcism. In my Holy Paladins absolutely atrocious gear, I find I can heal 5 mans perfectly fine by spamming Exorcism, casting Holy Shock whenever it's available (Top priority goes to non-tank group members, because your tank will have Beacon of Light, most likely, so normal heals generate holy power on your tank whereas they do not on other group members. Of course, you'll want to use it on the tank if you really need to. If the tank doesn't need it to survive, and the other group members don't need a heal, I just shoot it off on an enemy to keep the income of holy power), weave in actual heals when needed, and when I get 3 Holy power, Cast a Light of Dawn, or a Word of Glory if the tank really needs an instant heal and Holy Shock isn't available.

If you're interested in playing a healer offensively, I'd say Exorcists (stylized for Exorcism spamming Holy Paladins) are more effective than a Discipline priest using Holy Fire, Smite spam and even using Penance offensively. And that hurts me to say because I'm sorta infamous on my server as "The Smite Priest." I used to be a Holy Priest back in TBC, but switched to Shadow for Wrath. Back in TBC whenever I did BG's I always switched over to a hybrid Disc/Holy smite spec for lols (and hell, even got top damage a few times), so I've been a long time supporter of Smite DPS. However, both are pretty fun and welcome changes to past healer norms.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: Hell, I even wrote out a Smite priest PvE DPS guide and posted on my realm forums once.
    Last edited by Veyne; 2010-12-03 at 01:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

I think its a great idea, so often you are not needed to spam heals/shields nonstop in raids as healing is so often going to overheals. I think it when it should grant instead of a flat mana return make additional smites grant 20-30% of damage dealt back in mana similar to resto shaman talent. This would make it powerful for regen while up but needing 5 to begin / and 20 seconds buff lenght/30 sec CD not so OP (unless damage values is too high a 85 which means you can adjust mana % from damage). It would also be an awesome for leveling as all you do is cast smite leveling thus removing downtime almost entirely like most classes have.

Priests
    * Smite's scaling coefficient has been increased. The damage of Smite is now very similar to Heal in value. This change has been made to ensure the Archangel Discipline sub-specialization remains viable.

I tested it out earlier and didn't see any sort of real major improvement, but it was only a passing glance. When some more math comes out, we might see it becoming even more viable. I'm excited about the possibility. If it heals for the same as a "heal" i see no reason not to use it, namely in cataclysms larger health pools/slower dmg intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Basically, it's Discipline's mana return mechanic (pretty much all healers have DPS-based mana return mechanics now). Mana's not an issue now, but it will be in Cataclysm.
    Most if not all the dps for mana talents are mana neutral or have a small deficit (or at least that's the goal). Those talents are for periods where you don't need to heal a lot and to ensure you don't need to feel guilty that you spend your mana on non heals.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by takolin View Post
    Most if not all the dps for mana talents are mana neutral or have a small deficit (or at least that's the goal). Those talents are for periods where you don't need to heal a lot and to ensure you don't need to feel guilty that you spend your mana on non heals.
    Smite is a bit different because it also heals.

A sidenote to the above calculations: If you change Heal to Smite in your rotation then you make damage while you heal so the fight will take less time which most likely will result in saved mana. Has anyone made calculations based on this?

Fight takes x seconds when you Heal, you use y mana during the fight
    Fight takes x-z seconds when you Smite, you use y-u mana during the fight

Quote Originally Posted by lynguistic View Post
    I keep seeing disc priests from "top" guilds on my server(even though they're all just bad imo) specced into it and I don't understand why. Tell me when on earth is there time to cast smite when heals need to be tossed. Is this really something I should be speccing into because I can't seem to see it being worth the points. Is it going to be important for cata? I never have mana issues in any fight. Even with rapture being nerfed. Pop shadowfiend with hymn of hope and arcane torrent is enough for me. Heroic LK is a breeze and I still pull 50% of heals with constant bubbling. With that being said why are people actually using this ability!
    i have it specced too, you dont need to spam your a.. now to keep raid up, all so overgeared. even if smite wasnt healing, there is a lot of time to smite now.
    and it does look cool, the wings. and atm you dont really need other talents from disc tree while you need to put 31 points in it

doubt you will see healers in top guilds having it specced for each progress raid fight in cata. but it aint cata yet, its time for fun and experiments