Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Raiding: If one healer is a shaman, what would be a good choice for the other?

Having second thoughts on my class choice. Just wondering what your opinions are for a good healer class to go with a shaman in 10man raids.

Thanks.

---------- Post added 2010-12-07 at 01:13 PM ----------

My title is probably too long for anyone to care.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a shammy... and I worked very well with a priest (Holy) in my guild's 10man... that was pre-patch 4.0.1 though. Things could be different now at a minute level, but mechanically I think the two classes work well together. You really can't make a "bad" choice since most of what matters depends on the player and not the class, the only mistake I think would be running 2 shamans together since it is better to be more diversified imo (same for tanks). I'd have to recommend either a priest (either spec, whichever u like best) or a pally.

On my shaman, I had a paladin tank heal and I took care of raid in 10 mans. Worked like a charm.

Oh, and Fulltime, I love your avatar.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Anything except another shaman.

Love pallies with my shammy

For 10 mans, any healer would complement well. A druid would be the least powerful combination, but likely more than adequate. If you're trying to max output, and one healer is a Shaman, make the other a pally or priest.

Edit: And what Fathertom said. Not another shaman. I didn't think to mention this as considered it obviously off the table. While rare exceptions will apply where some guild will have done "awesomely" with a double Shaman healing team and will be quick to say so, it is the weakest combination.

---------- Post added 2010-12-07 at 03:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    On my shaman, I had a paladin tank heal and I took care of raid in 10 mans. Worked like a charm.

Oh, and Fulltime, I love your avatar.
    Avatar or sig? His sig is hilarious. His avatar is kinda lame and about 20 years old.
    EDIT: Although, Zeus' avatar is also about 20 years old and made completely out of win. So maybe age shouldn't count against it.
    Last edited by Janaa; 2010-12-07 at 03:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    For 10 mans, any healer would complement well. A druid would be the least powerful combination, but likely more than adequate. If you're trying to max output, and one healer is a Shaman, make the other a pally or priest.

Edit: And what Fathertom said. Not another shaman. I didn't think to mention this as considered it obviously off the table. While rare exceptions will apply where some guild will have done "awesomely" with a double Shaman healing team and will be quick to say so, it is the weakest combination.
    Thanks, this response helped a lot because I was deciding between Druid or Priest. I do have an 80 of all the healer classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Resto druid(1st) or Holy priest(2nd) for the intence aoe heal fights, or movement heavy fights. True, paladins can do a good job now, but they will never go as good as a resto druid or holy priest.

For 90% of the fights you won't really need a specific healing class, but for the 10% other fights, it will make it so much easier.

I've found that the best two healer combo is either a shaman or druid paired with a priest or pally.

I would suggest priest or druid solely in consideration of the fact that shamans have very few instant heals and thus suffer from high movement fights, whereas priests and druids have a good complement of instant spells.

Just a thought. Really any non-shammy healer would work fine, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    Avatar or sig? His sig is hilarious. His avatar is kinda lame and about 20 years old.
    EDIT: Although, Zeus' avatar is also about 20 years old and made completely out of win. So maybe age shouldn't count against it.
    Yes, the sig is what I meant. Derp. I agree about Zues' avatar. Ancient but awesome.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagdar View Post
    Resto druid(1st) or Holy priest(2nd) for the intence aoe heal fights, or movement heavy fights. True, paladins can do a good job now, but they will never go as good as a resto druid or holy priest.

For 90% of the fights you won't really need a specific healing class, but for the 10% other fights, it will make it so much easier.
    Every healing meter since 1.9 challenges you to a duel!!!! Oh -unless you mean specifically, pallys won't do as well on movement/AOE heavy fights - at first glance I thought you meant, at all. That has been true (pally's for years had very little options for heals to cast on the move), but really isn't anymore.

A paladin and shaman together would be a good team - shaman making up for what the pally lacks in mobility, pally making up for what the shammy lacks in heals. I do agree though, priest would be better. But DRUID as your first choice for general healer with a shaman? OP is not just talking about movement/AOE heavy fights, but everything - including incredibly hard hitting fights. A shammy/druid combo would be the weakest (aside from shammy/shammy) for damage heavy tank-and-spanks.
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

The best set-up for a 10 man raid is:
    Prot warrior
    Prot Pally
    Resto Druid
    Resto Shaman
    Holy Priest
    Lock
    Mage
    Rogue
    Hunter
    DK

We used to do enh shammy for an extra melee dps, spriest for extra ranged dps, dk for extra tank, pally for a theoretical fourth healer.

If you went to 2 heal and had a druid dps instead of heal, stick with a priest, the druid can still innervate and a druid is a shaman with hots instead of power heals. Combine holy priest(or disc depending on fight) and shammy and you have enough to roll through. It really depends on the fights and skill level of the players involved, but I would say theoretically a priest and shaman would be the best duo healers. At least in WOTLK and hopefully in cata

Shaman goes great with everyone.

They always have, and all the healing classes have been strong since TBC so you really cant go wrong. They are all different yet surprisingly more similar since the 4.0 patch.

If you want choices go priest, they are the only ones with 2 healing specs. If you might want a dps off spec, priest is again a great choice, as is druid. Paladin less so since most raids already have enough melee dps without adding a ret into the mix.
    Last edited by Auro; 2010-12-07 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goulashia View Post
    Thanks, this response helped a lot because I was deciding between Druid or Priest. I do have an 80 of all the healer classes.
    Hehe, thanks. While there's been a few differing opinions on druids and pallys, virtually everyone has also tendered Priest, so that's probably the way to go.

any reason why everyone is saying holy priest and not considering disc? is the shaman a decent tank healer now? if not, disc would seemingly be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by piin View Post
    any reason why everyone is saying holy priest and not considering disc? is the shaman a decent tank healer now? if not, disc would seemingly be the way to go.
    If by "everyone" you mean "two people", they probably are considering it as well. One poster merely conveyed that he as a Shaman had worked well with a Holy Priest (you can't argue with his experience..), and the other suggested a Holy priest. Gotem considered both holy and disc in his post.

Likely you're right - disc could work well as well. Nobody's disagreeing with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotem View Post
    The best set-up for a 10 man raid is:
    Prot warrior
    Prot Pally
    Resto Druid
    Resto Shaman
    Holy Priest
    Lock
    Mage
    Rogue
    Hunter
    DK

We used to do enh shammy for an extra melee dps, spriest for extra ranged dps, dk for extra tank, pally for a theoretical fourth healer.

If you went to 2 heal and had a druid dps instead of heal, stick with a priest, the druid can still innervate and a druid is a shaman with hots instead of power heals. Combine holy priest(or disc depending on fight) and shammy and you have enough to roll through. It really depends on the fights and skill level of the players involved, but I would say theoretically a priest and shaman would be the best duo healers. At least in WOTLK and hopefully in cata
    how? i dont see any synergy here and you have 3 raid healers.

---------- Post added 2010-12-07 at 04:00 AM ----------

good choices for healing would be a holy pally/disc priest.."imo would prefer the priest because they every so often have aoe group healing spells."

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    how? i dont see any synergy here and you have 3 raid healers.
    We found that with a flexible priest and good shaman, we were solid, farming ICC heroic. We used three healers initially when learning fights and getting them down and a bit more gear. Three healers isn't necessary, that's why if we found it beneficial for an extra melee we would go druid/priest, if we wanted ranged we would go druid/shaman. When we switched to 2 healers throughout, we stuck with priest/sham.

We always run Resto Shaman and Resto Druid