Thread: North Korea

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

North Korea

what do you think is gonna happen?
    "With this costume, I'll get Asian girls for sure!"
    - Judge Malthred revealing my avatar's inner thoughts

Be sure to read the new sticky on politics. My ban-finger is at the ready if this gets out of hand.

They're just holding massive "I have a bigger army than you have" contests at the moment. I sincerely doubt this will end up in a war. (Even though the war between NK and SK never officially ended.)

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think they'll risk their relationship with China.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly sure it will stay up north.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that investing in Haliburton and Xa is good business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

I think they will all split up more.
    Northeast Korea.
    Northwest Korea.
    Southeast Korea.
    Southwest Korea.
    Middle Korea.
    NorthMiddle Korea.

You get the idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    After being instructed that more characters per post is a good idea, I feel that I should futher expound on my aforementioned quips.

The reason for the recommendation in Haliburton is that regardless of the escalation of conflict, even a build up towards conflict would require infrastructure improvements on both sides. Now while Haliburton does tend towards a US/Nato allegience, it wouldn't be out of sorts for them to have a profit making subsideary that could work in North Korea.

And Xa is what Blackwater changed it's name to and they could easily work both or either sides of the conflict, depending on the role. Being the largest, multinational security force, they would have a vested interest in a heavy presence in the region.
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    The reason for the recommendation in Haliburton is that regardless of the escalation of conflict, even a build up towards conflict would require infrastructure improvements on both sides. Now while Haliburton does tend towards a US/Nato allegience, it wouldn't be out of sorts for them to have a profit making subsideary that could work in North Korea.
    That's actually quite a scary thought. I certainly hope we either invest in them in the long run or hope they've got some loyalty with US/nato.

15+ Year Old Account
    I predict that if conflict doesn't break out, the DPRK regime will crumble shortly after the death of Kim Jong-il. The pressure from China is ratcheting up. They of all people do not want to see conflict on the Korean Peninsula.

The unfortunate thing is, if they continue with their sabre rattling South Korea may engage drawing the US into another conflict that is unlikely to resolve itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    That's actually quite a scary thought. I certainly hope we either invest in them in the long run or hope they've got some loyalty with US/nato.
    We afford businesses few financial incentives for national loyalty, and until there exists such a mechanism that could not be seen as wholly nationalistic (such as extreme tarriffs), we have no choice but to let them operate as we have seen fit to, based on laws that our legislatures and by extension ourselves, have passed.

Can't we all just get along in the world? The world will be a much better place if there was no war..

First the war never ended, merely entered into a 57 year ceasefire. 2nd, they saber rattle a lot. In the end maybe it will heat up only time will tell.

Edit: to expand the bombardment when viewed in a void made no sense. most likely it is the product of internal politics. And NK has a habit of engaging in strange behavior (as a nation state). This is not limited to;

Using midget subs to send infiltrators into the south, most of the men drown
    Kidnapping Japanese citizens to use as some sort of sleeper cell spies
    Selling food that was donated to them by other nation states

The problem becomes more complex when you look at the south's responses, be they right or wrong, to the recent attack. Again, we will just have to wait and see what happens next.
    Last edited by Bubblykiss; 2010-12-08 at 12:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an idea. Kim Jon Il likes basketball right? How about we challenge them to a basketball game. Whoever wins decides the fate of Korea.
    "I see nothing. I hear nothing. I taste victory."

"Trolling (verb): speaking your honest opinion." - you know who

Deleted
    WW3 .. (ten chars)

What will happen?

More of the same.

The DPRK won't invade; they don't have china's support and wouldn't last very long in a stand up fight while on the offensive, nor the defensive when forced to fall back afterwards.

The ROK won't invade either because Seoul is what? 40 miles away from the border? (READ: The first thing the DPRK will target)
    Plus everyone is telling them to simmer down, and the prospect of engaging the DPRK while it's on the defensive from the start is pretty disquieting, all things considered.

I agree, let's do that.

Roarr - Tortheldrin

15+ Year Old Account
    I just believe that the other powers involved wont risk war.

China doesn't want war to protect their economy.
    South Korea doesn't want it either because it will destroy theirs.
    United States doesn't want it because they're already involved in multiple conflicts
    Japan wouldn't want a conflict of any kind with their economy's state.

Who am I missing? I think that eventually the regime will collapse. Nothing will be gained by war when the inevitable is bound to happen.

Deleted
    Well, as some foreign secretary said, I don't think the Party would deliberately instigate all out warfare. As any form of conflict could drastically threaten their position of absolute power and loosen the asphyxiating stranglehold they have on the North Korean people.

This is, of course, only if the leadership continues to think relatively rationally and act with calculation. The recent missile attack on Southern land, however, is perhaps a sign of mental deterioration and of a growing zealous lunacy and they may push their boundaries too far and force the outside world to act.

Stalin was sure that Hitler would not be foolish enough to attack the Soviet Union and open a new front for his forces. But he did not take into account the revolting syphilis that was rotting Hitler's already fanatical and terrible mind, driving him to further madness.

The future of North Korea is a tough call to make, with how little information we have on the "DPRK" and it's nasty, little cretin of a "Great Leader", Kim Jong Il. Perhaps a network has been established to overthrow the Party from the inside when KJI finally dies and his subordinates struggle for power. As Christopher Hitchens says, "perhaps one day we will see copies of 1984 being sold in the book stores of Pyongyang."

China won't let North Korea get intro serious conflict. China make a lot more money from South Korea than North Korea and a war would end up ruining their trade relationship with South Korea.