Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purely View Post
    Wouldn't an affliction lock who's giving dark intent to another affliction lock, who at the same time gets dark intent from that affliction warlock be the best ? I mean, both would get 6% haste and 9% dot dmg 10=% of the time.
    By swapping the DI buff, you only have 2 people with the 9% increased DOT damage. If the two Warlock's put their DI on other targets, there would be 4 people in the raid with 9% increased DOT damage. The overall gain in doing so is shown in the original post. There is no way that increasing the two Warlock's up times from what may be a difference of ~15% could outweigh the overall increase from other raid targets.

If you're looking purely at up times and personal DPS gain, then your point would be correct, but that reasoning is very counter-intuitive to raiding.

add warlocks to the list as we can do the wrath mage "but if we share it we get 6% haste!"

ohh and im never ever ever ever going to use it on a mage. thay didnt wanner FM me when i hit them in the head whith crit scaling last exp.

but it looks flawed not to add locks to the list when you got holy paladins

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pieki View Post
    add warlocks to the list as we can do the wrath mage "but if we share it we get 6% haste!"
    This is exactly what this post is trying to discourage. The information regarding Warlock swapping with 6% haste is not relevant. If you would like to know how much DPS you can gain from an additional 3% haste, there are plenty of resources out there for you to figure it out. However, if you go by that alone, you will find the Mages getting the most DPS boost from the haste portion, further retracting from your ambitions of Warlock swapping.

Deleted
    Echo of light from holy priests is doing a LOT of healing atm, tis an insane mastery. We should indeed test whether this triggers procs, otherwise their benefit from DI is quite minimal (renew is now an 'OH POOP' button apparently?)

Also, I know it's very hard to measure healer uptimes etc, but i firmly believe it should go on them during the phase your guild learns fights: 17 dps alive is more rDPS than 16 dps alive and one of them with an extra 9% max DoT damage.

Therefore do you know if the list for healers on first page is couting overall crits per minute, or just hot crits per minute ?
    Because now, we are all fighting to get the resto druid's uptime )

so what if i give it to another warlock, does that work? like dark intent'ing each other. i tried it and i had the buff twice then, but does it increase my haste by 6% then or not? should we swap dark intent with another warlock?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post

Also, I know it's very hard to measure healer uptimes etc, but i firmly believe it should go on them during the phase your guild learns fights: 17 dps alive is more rDPS than 16 dps alive and one of them with an extra 9% max DoT damage.

You are very correct, I believe he states that near the top of his post. If you're dieing, healers > DPS.

---------- Post added 2010-12-20 at 04:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
    so what if i give it to another warlock, does that work? like dark intent'ing each other. i tried it and i had the buff twice then, but does it increase my haste by 6% then or not? should we swap dark intent with another warlock?
    You gain 3% haste from putting your DI on the other Warlock, and gain an additional 3% haste if the other Warlock puts it on you. However, the 9% DOT damage buff does not stack. Swapping this with another Warlock is a bad idea in a raid setting as you will be losing out on a lot of potential DPS if you give it to another DOT heavy class.

I'm curious how a Marks hunter's gain from 3% haste and 9% DoT dmg could ever be higher than a Survival hunters... Putting aside the fact that Marks Base dmg is being considered higher, Survival has two "standard" DoTs in Black Arrow and Serpent Sting, and a Higher crit multiplier on Serpent Sting than marks. Further my experience with DI in Heroics shows that Explosive shot is both proc'd and increased by DI ( you may want to verify since I never "lab tested it"). I don't think a Surv hunter would beat or compete with a Shadow priest, but should definitely get a far bigger gain than a marks hunter and possibly a significantly bigger gain than seems to be accounted for.

My conservative napkin math puts Periodic effects ( inc Explosive shot) at >40% of a the hunter's DPS using your estimated DPS value of 23k and an 8% gain on periodic effects that is~ 700-750 dps gain on top of the 250 you attribute to 3% haste.

Edit: Honestly it looks like you just swapped or mislabeled Surv as Marks and then corrected yourself when determining warlock uptime, or something of the sort.
    Last edited by Vurrin; 2010-12-20 at 05:55 PM.

One thing I can see lacking here is if there's another lock in the group with you.
    Granted you can just use the spreadsheet's data for yourself, but pulling actual data on using your Dark Intent on a Destro Vs. Affliction lock could be useful for people who aren't a creative with data.
    Just a suggestion.

Nevermind, I see the nubs have added the same suggestion as me, before me. They asked much less formally though. =/
    Last edited by Mihnt; 2010-12-20 at 07:28 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Using Dark Intent on a Lock as a Lock means that you are a moron.

The 3% Haste buff stacks.
    The 9% Damage/Healing buff does not.

Therefore, if you cast Dark Intent on a Warlock who cast Dark Intent on you, you each get 6% Haste (12% total) and 9% Damage/Healing (18% total). However, if you each cast Dark Intent on a non Warlock, The Raid gets 12% Haste and 36% Damage/Healing.

I have this data readily available and did not post it because it would be used to compare against non-warlocks, and you can't do this. You would have to compare it to TWO non-warlocks and sadly not everyone who reads this post will understand that.

For those of you curious, for Warlocks swapping Dark Intent to be viable your group must have all Holy Paladin Healers, a Warrior tank who does not use Deep Wounds or Rend, and not have any Priests, Mages, Druids, Death Knights, Rogues, Elemental Shamans, and non-BM Hunters. Basically a group with zero chance of success against anything of moderate difficulty.

So I hope you understand why I'm reluctant to post that information.

R.I.P. YARG

When Dark Intent does gain 3 procs do we need to be recastin corruption and unstable affliction for them to gain the +9% damage or does it add the damage as dark intet procs?

15+ Year Old Account
    Good question, no clue. Dark Intent is a self-buff so I would assume that it falls in line with other self buffs and requires recasting, but keep in mind that simply recasting it for the sake of getting the buff is a dps loss. It should still be at 3 stacks when you refresh.

Someone with more time than I may be able to answer that better.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Good question, no clue. Dark Intent is a self-buff so I would assume that it falls in line with other self buffs and requires recasting, but keep in mind that simply recasting it for the sake of getting the buff is a dps loss. It should still be at 3 stacks when you refresh.

Someone with more time than I may be able to answer that better.
    With the way unstable affliction and corruption are worked now u should never have to recast them though with fel flame and haunt resetting them, so I'm guessing we'll need to recast UA, and Corruption to benefit form the 9% damage

15+ Year Old Account
    Refreshing is the same as recasting now. Adding 6 seconds from Fel Flame causes a recalculation. Refreshing Corruption with Haunt causes a recalculation.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Refreshing is the same as recasting now. Adding 6 seconds from Fel Flame causes a recalculation. Refreshing Corruption with Haunt causes a recalculation.
    Ah thank you very much

Deleted
    Does DI proc 2 different buffs? (See screenshot below)

Edit: no screenshot, I'm not allowed to post images/links yet

Both give + 3/6/9% damage, depending on the stack, and since they can be up at the same time they seem to stack...

i noticed this too, one buff has the real buff icon and the other one is some kind of green egg but i dont know how this happened

thx, great job!
    Nice to see that some of my assumtions are now backed with actual numbers

I always give it to our resto, which is great when he pre hots the tank in a fight and before it even starts im going in with 3 Stacks!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by flzk View Post
    i noticed this too, one buff has the real buff icon and the other one is some kind of green egg but i dont know how this happened
    I've noticed I only seem to get the egg when I place it on a healer, but it still doesn't appear all the time.

Looking at the spellpage on wowhead.

I think my money is on it just being a mistake.
    Last edited by mmoc0a10ab8ba1; 2010-12-22 at 12:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by p75369 View Post
    I've noticed I only seem to get the egg when I place it on a healer, but it still doesn't appear all the time.
    I got the 'egg' after putting it on a Spriest, but as well after putting it on a Resto Druid. Sometimes I only get the egg, and not the 'real' buff, most times I get the real buff and sometimes both buffs appear.

On a side-note:
    Is Hellfire considered a DoT? I read somewhere (Wowhead I think) that Drain Soul and Drain Life were considered a DoT, and since both Hellfire and Drain Life are channeled...

o.O i wish we never got this spell