Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Crazy Rare Camping Guide (How to do it right and how to annoy your competition)

Many of us at one time or another decide to camp a rare... whether its for your Hunter, a rare drop, or those uber rare mount drops... This guide is for all of you who are new to the glory of rare camping, some etiquette, some tips, and what to do to annoy the opposing faction’s campers (cause doing it to your own faction campers is just a n00bie move that basically creates a lot of nerd rage, don’t be THAT n00b please). Some of us (yes I have been camping the ridiculous rare Aeonaxx for 3 weeks only to watch it go to a horde and then despawn on a fail attempt by a n00b alliance) are die hard pet and mount players... we will willingly give up gear, levels, and end game content to camp a random rare whose timer is still unknown and makes all of us really angry... so for you new rare campers, make friends with us veterans and we might all go on with WOW happier and a mount or pet more to our list.

Camping Etiquette:
    -Do your homework before camping, the “Oh look MMO Champion says there’s a rare in Deepholm that drops a mount... lets check out... “ Is not the right kind of homework... For those of you that have failed this particular rare spawn because of its “bug” then you are a camping n00b... read up on it, might make your life easier and those of us watching you fail less infuriated. We’d rather see you succeed then fail miserably at what we consider a well known mechanic to the fight.

-Don’t camp another person’s spot... (unless of course its of the opposing faction)

-Ask around, if someone says they’ve been there for 9 days, they probably have been, and lets face it, those are the crazy campers, let them do their thing, come back after they have ragequit or been successful.

-When asking around, it doesn’t hurt to make friends... you’d be amazed out how teamwork for camping a rare makes life easier and less stressful for all involved and can net a rare faster. For some of us, we have dedicated friends on both sides scouting and discouraging wherever possible to give us the advantage... be prepared.

-Add known campers to your friend list... this way you can find out if they’re in the zone whether you can see them or not... Helps to see your own faction competition.

-Do not be THAT guy that kills a rare a hunter is trying to tame... if its a tamable mob and there is a hunter... they are likely not killing it for an achievement but instead taming it... slaughtering while it is being tamed is as awful as it gets. (a good way to verifying taming status- do they have another pet out?? cause if not then YES they are taming it.... BACK OFF )

Opposing faction annoying awesomeness:
    (So you hate Alliance or you hate Horde... I don’t necessarily advocate being a total punk BUT I do often enjoy annoying the opposing faction while they are camping the same rare I am after.... so here are some fun things to do while you wait)

-Create a worgen... when a horde is around, sit right next to them and let the male worgen roar drive them away, either that or they must turn their sound down to save their sanity thus missing the npcscan sounds. (A willing worgen friend is also sufficient... especially if they keep annoying them AWAY from you, much better for your camping spot)- Just remember when you’re alone to go back to human form, cause the roar will make you mental in the long hours of camping.

-If they are camping a rare hunter pet... get a friend who has (or if you’ve been lucky to get already) the pet to randomly show up at an opposing player’s camp spot... their npc scan will give them a false alarm. This requires them to log off and clear their cache... do this often enough at random intervals and you will drive them away.

-If you happen to make a friend of the opposing faction (who may have at one point gotten that uber rare while you watched in anger) then use that person to discourage their own faction … false trails, false spawns, or “hey I just got this at the other spawn location, take a break for a few hours”... Evil yes, effective yes, fun, even more so .

In the end be gracious about someone else’s victory (even if on the opposite side, cause that enemy today could be your friend tomorrow getting you that much closer to your rare- thank you Real ID for cross faction chat, life is beautiful)

Know that for us crazy campers, we camp while at work, we lose days of sleep, and basically neglect all other real life responsibilities until we get our rare... Call us names, in reality we don’t care, we’re crazy. So enjoy :-)

And just in case you’re wondering if you’ve hit the crazy rare camper status, here are a few things to identify yourself:
    -You randomly check your npc alert just to “make sure’ or really just to hear the sound you’re hoping for when your rare spawns.
    -You know everything there is to possibly know about the rare you are camping, even speculated spawn sites/times/etc and participate in your own speculation as you wait...
    -You have a very very long friend list of all potential competition and know where they are at all times.
    -You are a frequent and religious follower of all discussions being led on your rare... yes you are even calling it “my rare”...
    -You lose sleep, countless hours of sleep, and sometimes even dream about your rare.
    -You have come up with your own nicknames for the rare... usually not nice names, names you yell at random intervals in an effort to draw out the stupid spawn. There are also the rare moments of poetry or songwriting that occur while waiting... yes... you are crazy.
    -You know of every server reset, you harrrass all successful campers for every minutia regarding their success in an effort to boost your chances and knowledge.

If any of the above sound like you... I hate to tell you, you’ve entered crazy rare camper status. Good luck to you... it only gets worse!

10+ Year Old Account
    -If they are camping a rare hunter pet... get a friend who has (or if you’ve been lucky to get already) the pet to randomly show up at an opposing player’s camp spot... their npc scan will give them a false alarm. This requires them to log off and clear their cache... do this often enough at random intervals and you will drive them away.
    I'm sorry but this is considered pretty bad sport among hunters and I would not recommend anyone to do this. It's also considered griefing and if you get caught up doing it too many times, you might get a warning.

For those who're getting griefed in this way: Go back to old school /target macro spamming and don't rely on your addons too much.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was completely unware of this being considered griefing and I would never condone that, I had this happen to me when camping a rare for my hunter, I found it effective at getting me to quit camping and just come back a week later then the opposing faction member had forgotten me. Most of this was written as tongue in cheek now that we have entered into new rares for Cata and the mass of people trying to get the same rares right now. Thank you for clarifying this point, if I could edit my original post I would remove it.

How can you prove that someone is killing a mob to annoy someone though? I mean unless they are outright idiots and gloat about it in the game who can argue the player doesn't have their own reasons. It seems pretty grey to me.

Quote Originally Posted by erwil View Post
    I'm sorry but this is considered pretty bad sport among hunters and I would not recommend anyone to do this. It's also considered griefing and if you get caught up doing it too many times, you might get a warning.

For those who're getting griefed in this way: Go back to old school /target macro spamming and don't rely on your addons too much.
    It's not considered griefing if your addon is causing problems.
    It is bad sport, but it is the other players fault for having a faulty addon. You can fix the code urself.

I don't like this poster simply because he thinks he's better than us because he's some time of rare spawn camping veteran? What in the world is that?

Deleted
    -Create a worgen... when a horde is around, sit right next to them and let the male worgen roar drive them away, either that or they must turn their sound down to save their sanity thus missing the npcscan sounds. (A willing worgen friend is also sufficient... especially if they keep annoying them AWAY from you, much better for your camping spot)- Just remember when you’re alone to go back to human form, cause the roar will make you mental in the long hours of camping.
    So I would have to level a worgen all the way to 82ish just hoping that someone's playing with sound on? I've been playing quite a while and I haven't had my ingame sound turned on for at least the last 4 of those years. Standing on top of people with a big flying mount and jittering for a minute or two works though. On PvP servers it works to get a rogue buddy to sap/distract a person for a while til they leave.

Bloodsail Admiral DownButStillOut's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonfann View Post
    And just in case you’re wondering if you’ve hit the crazy rare camper status, here are a few things to identify yourself:
    -You randomly check your npc alert just to “make sure’ or really just to hear the sound you’re hoping for when your rare spawns.
    -You know everything there is to possibly know about the rare you are camping, even speculated spawn sites/times/etc and participate in your own speculation as you wait...
    -You have a very very long friend list of all potential competition and know where they are at all times.
    -You are a frequent and religious follower of all discussions being led on your rare... yes you are even calling it “my rare”...
    -You lose sleep, countless hours of sleep, and sometimes even dream about your rare.
    -You have come up with your own nicknames for the rare... usually not nice names, names you yell at random intervals in an effort to draw out the stupid spawn. There are also the rare moments of poetry or songwriting that occur while waiting... yes... you are crazy.
    -You know of every server reset, you harrrass all successful campers for every minutia regarding their success in an effort to boost your chances and knowledge.

If any of the above sound like you... I hate to tell you, you’ve entered crazy rare camper status. Good luck to you... it only gets worse!
    1. I do that all the time.
    2. Each place where every tameable rare is, estimated time etc
    3. No friends, sadly
    4. It IS MY RARE
    5. 8 hours straight waiting for arcturis
    6. Arcturis - Mengsk, Loque'Nahak - Loki, Gondria - Odin, ive said nice things to my guild mates to increase my Karma and repeatively ask on general has anyone seen this rare or killed this other rare I dont want
    7. I nerd raged horribly when I saw someone kill Loque'Nahak who actually was a bot, it made me feel a little bit good inside not seeing him the next day :P

Guide was helpful
    BeeeeeeeoooooOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOO-FFFSSSHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
    My attempt at being less of a pessimist was choosing Dawnbringer as my choice of server.
    I regret somethings! (like setting this in my signature)

This is more then likely quite useless.

Most people who camp for elongated periods of times have WOW sounds muted. NPC_SCAN has an option to UNMUTE sounds when rare's are spawned. Thus they can go AFK and the second a rare pops up, sounds unmuted & blareing.