Page 1 of 2
LastLast

10-20 FPS in Orgrimmar

So basically I just want to know if it's normal to have that kind of terrible FPS in some places or if there is something wrong with my system. Or maybe I'm just asking too much of my PC? It's pretty new though...

My WoW settings:
    Everything on Ultra
    8x AA
    16x AF
    Vsync + Triple buffering enabled
    Windowed fullscreen
    I'm playing with the DX11 Tweak for WoW maybe that is the issue? Though it says you're supposed to get MORE FPS out of it and not less...
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,2793-7.html
    I'm also running with a lot of Addons... maybe one of them is an issue?

My PC:
    Phenom II X4 955 BE
    Win 7 64 bit installed on OCZ Vertex 2 Extended 60GB (SSD)
    4GB RAM
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 Hawk 1024 MB
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music
    Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3, 870
    nothing overclocked
    newest Drivers and Updates for everything

Standing in Orgrimmar in front of the auction house I'm getting 9 FPS right now on Ultra settings and it is stuttering like hell... granted there are a lot of people there but this is ridiculous.
    And the strange thing is even if I reduce the settings to absolute minimum with 1xAA I'm still not getting more than 20-30 FPS in that place.
    While flying around in Deepholm I'm getting anywhere from 15FPS to 60FPS for no reason at all...

Deleted
    Whereas you do have a great computer, Ultra isn't easy to display. Especially in Orgrimmar with a lot of sprites to render, and putting shadows on full only makes these render twice. Try lowering shadows one notch and come back If not, try to uninstall GamerOSD if you have it installed, that fixed my fps issues. You'll also want to see if addons are the issue.

Also, take off Triple buffering :P

Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    Whereas you do have a great computer, Ultra isn't easy to display. Especially in Orgrimmar with a lot of sprites to render, and putting shadows on full only makes these render twice. Try lowering shadows one notch and come back If not, try to uninstall GamerOSD if you have it installed, that fixed my fps issues. You'll also want to see if addons are the issue.

->

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    And the strange thing is even if I reduce the settings to absolute minimum with 1xAA I'm still not getting more than 20-30 FPS in that place.
    Even at minimum settings it doesn't get much better. Oh and I dunno what GamersOSD even is.

It's known that with VSync and dx11 enabled, some computers cap out VSync at 30 instead of 60, if it, for whatever reason, dips enough below 60, thinking that 30 is the next stable level.
    And then keeps dipping if it ever dips lower et c.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    It's known that with VSync and dx11 enabled, some computers cap out VSync at 30 instead of 60, if it, for whatever reason, dips enough below 60, thinking that 30 is the next stable level.
    And then keeps dipping if it ever dips lower et c.
    What this means is "disable Vsync" and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    What this means is "disable Vsync" and see what happens.
    Except thatDo note, when capping it again, I think it keeps the 30fps-cap.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2010-12-28 at 04:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    This is a horrible idea without disabling VSync also. Triple buffering was created years ago to fix issues with VSync.

I'm in the crowd that thinks the OP should try without VSync (if he/she hasn't already).

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I just noticed that the OP also said he is running with a lot of add ons. I'm surprised I did not ask this before but did you delete your Cache / WTF/ Interface folder after the Cataclysm release? Have you updated your video driver direct from nVidia's website within the last month? Have you tried playing without addon's?

Answer these por favor, and if you have and I have missed it I am sorry. I need a coffee, preferably a big one.

I have almost the same specs, and I'm getting the same FPS plus random freezes for 15 seconds at a time. Hopefully in the next patch it will be fixed.

I use those same settings. I get 75fps no matter where I am...

What resolution do you run at?
    I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.

Quote Originally Posted by Anaema View Post
    What resolution do you run at?
    1680*1050.

Turning off Vertical Sync and Triple Buffering hasn't done anything, still running at 10FPS in Orgrimmar.

Try to turn down AA and AF to x4 and x8. Also turn shadows down to one notch below ultra.

Try to turn down AA and AF to x4 and x8. Also turn shadows down to one notch below ultra.
    While standin in the exact same spot in Orgrimmar:

Max settings: 10FPS
    Shadows reduced to "High", AAx4 and AFx8: 15 FPS
    Lowest possible settings with AAx1 and Bilinear Filtering: 20-25 FPS.

That's odd. I get better than that on a rig that isn't as powerful with those specs. Try setting the game to dx11. You can do it by going into WoW>WTF>config.wtf and adding the line SET gxapi "d3d11"

Just copy paste it. That is supposed to improve graphics performance.

That's odd. I get better than that on a rig that isn't as powerful with those specs. Try setting the game to dx11. You can do it by going into WoW>WTF>config.wtf and adding the line SET gxapi "d3d11"

Just copy paste it. That is supposed to improve graphics performance.
    See my entry post, I already use the DX11 settings. And I have these huge FPS problems really just in some places , in other areas my FPS seems to be perfectly fine.

example: Tol Barad, swimming through a river with Ultra settings: 50-60 FPS
    Arathi Basin entry: 40-60FPS...

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcian View Post
    I use those same settings. I get 75fps no matter where I am...
    Absolute bullshit.

I'm running a top end rig [Core i7, GeForce 580 etc), and even I barely get above 30-35 FPS on Ultra in Orgrimmar when there are a lot of people there. There are times in Uldum when my FPS drops below 75 as well, usually when staring out from Ramkahen across the lake.

I upgraded from a similiar rig to the OPs (5870 instead of the 460 and a Phenom II X3 with the 4th core unlocked), and to be honest, your FPS doesn't seem that unusual. The fact of the matter is that:

a) WoW simply runs better on Intel CPUs. I've always preferred AMD CPUs, but I finally went with Intel for this rig simply because I know WoW is my main game and there is a 10-20% performance gain over similiar priced AMD CPUs (irrespective of bottlenecks).

b) WoW on Ultra is demanding. I don't know why people don't realise this yet. You're generally rendering scenes, characters etc much further than you would in other games. Just because WoW looks graphically simple doesn't mean it's not graphically complicated underneath. The biggest performance gain you could get with minimal loss would be to turn down Shadows from Ultra to Good and AA from 8x to 4x. It's what I had to do in the Cataclysm beta to get 60 FPS in most places on my old card, and that one was in competition with the GeForce 480.

c) Do not take this the wrong way, but the 460 was on the bottom end of the so called 'Enthusiast' Bracket earlier this year. The rest of your computer doesn't really match it. If you were looking at one component to upgrade, I would probably go for that and get a GeForce 570. In reality, the performance gain won't be huge (20-30%), but it will be much more performance than you would get from updating any of the other individual components.

Anyway - AddOns can be a problem. I would get rid of any that you don't need (i.e, who needs AtlasLoot if you have WoWHead open), anything that does a lot of parsing during fights (Battletext addons etc). Delete your Cache folder, and make sure they're all up to date, as running older addons (i.e, designed for the old WoW architecture of pre 4.0.1) can slow down the game too, but like I said, 10-20 FPS in Orgrimmar on Ultra on your rig doesn't seem that out of whack. Drop a few options you won't miss like I said before and it should run smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight90 View Post
    c) Do not take this the wrong way, but the 460 was on the bottom end of the so called 'Enthusiast' Bracket earlier this year. The rest of your computer doesn't really match it. If you were looking at one component to upgrade, I would probably go for that and get a GeForce 570. In reality, the performance gain won't be huge (20-30%), but it will be much more performance than you would get from updating any of the other individual components.
    Actually my specific GPU was just released like 2 months ago and everybody was recommending GTX460 back then. It's also an overclocked version, only a bit behind a GTX470... so upgrading a 2 months old card just for some situations in one game isn't really an option ^^
    I think I'll just have to live with the fact that WoW is pretty badly optimized then... because I can run pretty much every other game on max details without problems.
    Haven't tried Crysis yet though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Actually my specific GPU was just released like 2 months ago and everybody was recommending GTX460 back then. It's also an overclocked version, only a bit behind a GTX470... so upgrading a 2 months old card just for some situations in one game isn't really an option ^^
    I think I'll just have to live with the fact that WoW is pretty badly optimized then... because I can run pretty much every other game on max details without problems.
    Haven't tried Crysis yet though
    I'm running an intel core 2 quad 9550 oc'd to 3.2ghz with a hd5770... Not exactly amazing stuff. When I run @ 1920x1200 with ultra settings my frame rates aren't stupendous anymore. They're always in the mid 20's now and when I bump down the shadows, it'll usually stick to around 29-32 in org with lots of people.

I think there's definitely something wrong with your game or setup. I'm not astute enough to say what though.

Btw, changing to DX11 didn't do anything noticeable to my frame rates either. I think you need a rather nice computer to see sizable boosts.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySteve View Post
    Btw, changing to DX11 didn't do anything noticeable to my frame rates either. I think you need a rather nice computer to see sizable boosts.
    Or go from playing on an Intel P4HT 3.2 oc'd with 2GB DDR and a Radeon X1800 to an i5 760, 8GB RAM, and a HD5770. You will see a difference then.