Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Page 5 of 626 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I started watching Doctor Who seriously with Season 5 and I love Matt Smith.

I'm just reverse watching the older Episodes but don't really get why people like Eccelstone. He seems a but duh.

I feel realy old now... since i'm baffled that only 3 are mentioned
    That and since when can Daleks do stairs? O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    I started watching Doctor Who seriously with Season 5 and I love Matt Smith.

I'm just reverse watching the older Episodes but don't really get why people like Eccelstone. He seems a but duh.
    He was fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    :S really? I found it SO underwhelming, esspecially compared to last years, with the Tennant's farewell.

I do agree I think this season is gunna be a great one though, Smith really found his stride last year, and his performance in the Xmas special was the one good thing about it (okay, the shark powered sled was cool as well :P) so I'm really hoping for good good things with the upcoming season.
    I love the manipulation of the time stream in the 2010 christmas special, and you also have to realize that the 2009 Christmas special was the end all wrap up for Tennant, which was 3 seasons of pure awesome. It gave insight to why the Doctor had to kill off his people, and basically killed off the Master (I doubt it). If you watch "Doctor Who: The Next Doctor" which was the '08 special, it is just another filler episode that's fun and kind of puts you in the Christmas spirit.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

Eccleston is also my favorite of the new Doctors. Admittedly, I haven't yet seen the other 30 years of the show but I'm working on it.

I also like Matt Smith and the recent episodes, but some of the writing has had me really confused this past season. What's the deal with him repeatedly going back into his own timeline and screwing around? Didn't they previously establish that as a big no-no?

He also says he NEVER intervenes with any major time line.. and yet.. he does.
    As for his going back in his own time line, its established that he cannot change his own time line. Only time this kinda happens is at the end of all time (when all rules are basicly gone) and when he is rewinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvar View Post
    Eccleston is also my favorite of the new Doctors. Admittedly, I haven't yet seen the other 30 years of the show but I'm working on it.

I also like Matt Smith and the recent episodes, but some of the writing has had me really confused this past season. What's the deal with him repeatedly going back into his own timeline and screwing around? Didn't they previously establish that as a big no-no?
    They changed lead writers, RTD left and we now have the grand Moff of weeping angle fame as the big shot. With a new writer comes a new interpretation and a lack of continuity, Moffat said something along the lines of "Dr. Who is unique in that we can blame anything on 'ripples of the time war' so it's impossible to have a continuity error". Honestly I found some of RTDs stuff overwrought and "soapy" but I find moffats disappointingly erratic at time and it lacks the serious nature that I like in my fantasy. It's ok to be silly but you need to have serious plot there too or it doesn't hang together in my opinion.
    Sanctity, level 110 Blood elf protection Paladin of <Fallout> on Tarren Mill EU

It was a great Christmas Special. I remember the last Easter Special Tennant did and they were on some desert planet doing whatever. Utter tripe. Boring and pointless. This had some meaning to it and it wasn't "OMG 10 MINUTES TO EARF IZ DESTROYYDDD!!1 HURREEH!".

Anyway, best Dr. Who was and remains Tom Baker.

Yes, I'm that old. Happy New Year kids.

Flying.
    Shark.
    Santa.

That is all.
    hey

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Torrent would be the best way to go i would think. For you guys that didn't like it, Four words... Shark with a Sleigh.

I can't get over how folks wanna bash one of the doctors. They are all different and good in their own ways, Check out the old stuff, that is some AMAZING shit. I do have a huge bit of dislike for donna noble. Grating voice just kills me. Martha wasn't around as long as i wish she was. Rose was around a bit too long. I adore amy's voice...how amazing would that voice be waking you up in the middle of the night for a bit of fun. /shiver

I haven't watched enough of the old stuff to really have an opinion on them yet. I do like the one with the crazy effing eyes.

---------- Post added 2011-01-01 at 11:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dujith View Post
    I feel realy old now... since i'm baffled that only 3 are mentioned
    That and since when can Daleks do stairs? O.o
    /comfort I laughed SO hard i peed myself when they thought they had them beat when they ran up the stairs (after years and years and years of stair jokes from fans) they just...elevated. I still chuckle, that was just good tv right there.

Deleted
    When does the new episodes start?

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    spring 2011 is all they have said. I did a bit of reading on wikipedia, apparently a few (5-7) in the spring and a few more in autumn. I can't bloody wait.

I heard it was a good show.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard the new season is going to have a few episodes set in America

Meh, I'm just waiting for the next doctor. Not too impressed with Matt Smith.
    Too bad Benedict Cumberbatch didn't take the role as the next Dr after Tennant and went for Sherlock instead.
    Cumberbatch would of been one hell of a Dr in my opinion.

Matt Smith just seems to have the problem that half of his writing in the previous season was written for David Tennant. No offense to Smith but... he's not that good of an actor to pull something off. Tennant in my eyes just had this uncanny ability of deep joy and sadness in the same moment, a lot of hope and fear for humans (his apparent favourite race... seeing as they get to the end of the world, nestled next to black holes and whereas else the future generations seem adaptive) and I just liked Tennant. He's a fantastic actor and brought a lot to the role. He portrayed it with a lot of energy, and you could believe he was that nine hundred year old, many times reincarnated entity that had witnesses the birth and fall of empires. He wasn't all happy, you just need to be positive or else you're just despairing after being the (apparently last) of your kind and fighting the wars leading to it.

Chris Eccelston was fun in the role but extremely emotional which I wasn't so keen on. The previous actors had a lot of compassion but it was more the bystander compassion of not getting fully invoved and carried away. Eccelston just over did it at times but heck he was fun, I was upset when he left after just one reason and probably if they had Tennant off the bat things wouldn't have gone so well. Eccelston was just very accessable really in his incarnation.

Matt Smith I'm not keep on. I had the impression that Karen Gillan (sp name? not sure) as the assistant just completely left him in the tracks. I always was of the thought that if they had Tennant's doctor with Amy Pond (admittedly I like Donna more... she just fit with the doctor's personality so well, humour included. Rose was just dumb as a post and Martha was just like a mini doctor - pun intended - and nothing special. Plus their families annoyed me. Donna's grandfather and the doctor's interactions however I always loved) the serioes would have been incredible. Smith had a series of a fantastic assistant, great storylines and writing for him that seemed to be for Tennant he couldn't make work and didn't seem to know what he was doing.

No offense to him, this Christmas special made me a little more optimistic for the coming series. The writing for his character got better to the point where you could actually watch it with him and not Amy and not just miss her character which was nice. I remember in the series the one episode centered more on Smith was painfully boring to watch (something to do with churches, grave robbing and strange things under the ground, right before the series finale) so that was nice. It still wasn't up to the "Runaway Bride" one in my mind (I'll admit to loving Catherine Tate in it. Given the dynamic she was perfect for the everyday quirkiness. The "usual" stuff just didn't phase her yet the emotional stuff did - "Silence in the Library" was an example of that and an exceptional two parter) but good. Anything but "lol Titanic in the sky" >.>

So its worth watching. I can't remember her name but the woman singing was amazing as well. At least they have Smith's writing sorted it seems with this, and he seems to have worked out what he's doing rather than failing at copying Tennant's mannerisms.

Doctor Who has always been on my list to watch but I've never understand where to start with it. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelmart View Post
    Doctor Who has always been on my list to watch but I've never understand where to start with it. Any advice?
    At least the new 2005 series with Christopher Eccleston.
    First episode is called Rose

EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE

I'm not a huge fan of Matt Smith, Tenent was a lot better, I was really sad to see him go. Kara Gillan is really hot though, I love scots. I grew up on Doctor Who, my mom was a HUGE Tom Baker fan. I remember daleks scaring the heck out of me, now they're my favorite bad guy (master is a close second). Unfortunately as a yank I don't have the best access to this series, sometimes I have to wait an entire year for netflix, though I have discovered http://www.watch-doctor-who-online.com as a low-quality alternative when I feel I MUST HAVE WHO. (use in conjunction with clipnabber.com)

My iPhone ring tone is the doctor who theme song.
    Last edited by InfernalKatana; 2011-01-06 at 06:54 AM. Reason: added in way to save megavideo links

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesong View Post
    So I'm a fan of Doctor Who, it's sooooo interesting and I wanted to see the Christmas Special that came out (Or is coming out) I don't know if it has yet.
    I can't watch it because I'm in America, and I don't have BBC America.

Does anyone know where I can watch the Christmas Special?! Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol.
    It wasn't the worst episode ever...but more than a few headaches, and a truly disheartening lack of red headed companions makes it a very "meh" episode.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelmart View Post
    Start with the revamp and then if you like it you can watch the older episodes