Could openraid work ingame?

I've been playing since right around the end of the burning crusade, in the same guild from the beginning, I've seen a lot of changes to the game; good and bad. I actually think there haven't been too many truly bad ideas, just ones that were implemented poorly.

I was recently using open raid and it struck me how a lot of people and groups that I met on there to raid with were of better quality than say tradechat on my own server for the past few years. I was thinking of how it could actually be implemented into wow.

Cross realm is a big thing now, so that you have plenty to do at any time of the day, raids, dungeons etc. But the main problem with LFR at the moment is the lack of repercussions and the community aspect of it. If you compare something as simple as a site that uses red or green thumbs on peoples comments, a simple thing like that actually makes people act a small bit better than a site that's completely un-moderated. Just a visible thing to other people to see how you are behaving.

What if you had trade chat in game the way it is on openraid, where it's separated into EU-Alliance, US-Horde etc, where you can form groups and invite people cross realm. But more importantly you had reputation.

Everyone starts off with neutral reputation, and you get marks awarded to you for each boss you killed with a premade group like that, or a boss in LFR. A kick from a group or a dc results in some bad reputation. So that the system isn't abused, people can mark you up or down as well but this is a separate scoring. To be fair to new players and to people who have a bad week sometimes or a disagreement with someone, the first reputation would be reset every so often, say everyones reputation is reset every 2months. The time is obviously debatable but the idea of reputation and (lets call it happy points lol) happy points is what I'm trying to get across.

Now instantly I know some people might be annoyed and say "we don't want this to be like facebook" or whatever, and I know, I don't want it to be like that either, it's just a suggestion for some accountability so that you have more accessibility of raids with always cross realm trade, but also more community.

I'm not sure how it would work but you could also be given marks for helping someone out with the way they were playing in a good way, and you'd eventually get like a MVP status showing that new people could ask you things and you wouldn't bite their heads off.

I've noticed WoW usually absorbs mods and ideas that are popular and make them their own, for example outfitter or dbm. (Dbm is still better for warnings but at least you have dungeon journal now). Now when you open a support ticket it's like a mini browser in game so it would be cool to see something absorbed like mr.robot for new players, with an option for a new player or advanced help. (Since seeing all those numbers is a bit daunting at first.)

Anyway thank you for reading, I hope that it was at least somewhat different from posts blaming LFR for the downfall of humanity, I am just trying to think of ways to improve it rather than demand it gets removed. I would like to see new players get more out of their experience in WoW because I think it directly impacts older players, by way of recruitment pool. We need new recruits to keep doing what we like to do too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    I was one of the early adopters of OpenRaid, and I stopped using it because of a few bad eggs that weaseled their way into moderation positions.
    If it's a community moderated and maintaned resource, someone who could potentially ruin the entire thing could crop up.
    If it's a Blizzard sanctioned and maintaned system, I'd have a bit more faith in it, but ultimately it comes down to implementation.
    I think it'd have to come down to a MMR-like system with two or more ratings, depending on roles, ect. One for player performance in each role, and one for performance as a leader.

Knowing Blizzard, they'd try and tie some kind of achievements into it, or force it to be flex-raid only, but some system for this is better than none.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    I was one of the early adopters of OpenRaid, and I stopped using it because of a few bad eggs that weaseled their way into moderation positions.
    If it's a community moderated and maintaned resource, someone who could potentially ruin the entire thing could crop up.
    If it's a Blizzard sanctioned and maintaned system, I'd have a bit more faith in it, but ultimately it comes down to implementation.
    I think it'd have to come down to a MMR-like system with two or more ratings, depending on roles, ect. One for player performance in each role, and one for performance as a leader.

Knowing Blizzard, they'd try and tie some kind of achievements into it, or force it to be flex-raid only, but some system for this is better than none.
    Tying in achievements wouldn't honestly be a bad thing, it would at least encourage people to be helpful for a short period of time lol. I mean if you get 5 points for catching every single pet in kalimdor 5 points for that isn't the worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pocky_rin View Post
    Tying in achievements wouldn't honestly be a bad thing, it would at least encourage people to be helpful for a short period of time lol. I mean if you get 5 points for catching every single pet in kalimdor 5 points for that isn't the worst.
    Tying achievement points to leading a raid would likely lead to sub-par raid leaders, souring the experience for everyone involved. It happened on Openraid with the implementation of the Rep Ranking system, and there was nothing but ego on the line there.
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Ah yeah, it wouldn't be fun if suddenly everyone was trying to raidlead and just arguing over tactics, that would only cause confusion to new players. No achievement points then lol.

I feel like openraid was at least partially responsible for the idea behind Flex raiding. Since it doesn't quite have all the features, but it's got cross-server grouping (with people on your friends list). No reason why players can't look to form Flex raid groups with people on their friends list the same way openraid works now.

I use oQueue, its similar to openraid. Makes it super easy to get a daily heroic scenario done or kill world bosses on less than optimally populated realms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bareno View Post
    I use oQueue, its similar to openraid. Makes it super easy to get a daily heroic scenario done or kill world bosses on less than optimally populated realms.
    Hey, I remember that. I was involved in the development of that addon when the guy updating Preform AV Enabler got a stick up his ass and decided he didn't want anyone but him writing the addon when he stopped working on it for like a year. I gave the creator the idea for it too hook off RealID broadcasts rather than chatspam.
    *bro fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    People are suspicious of how player-driven rating systems would be abused and rightly so. They sound good in theory but rarely work out in practice and are subject to crippling abuse by just a few players who amuse themselves by attempting to bring down the system. Witness the rather sharp decline in openraid's reputation.

Something could be done but probably not in-game so much. Better to see something like this--if it could be done at all--implemented in the new battle.net client that's in beta.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Until they merge servers or do whatever they are going to do to combat wasteland servers, OpenRaid is the greatest thing to EVER happen to wow.. it kills me it's not even their (blizz's) doing. I have accomplished so much through openraid i wanted to do - that I couldn't have done on my server.. at all. This feature/addin (i don't even know how to classify it) literally kept me playing for at least 2 more months than wow on it's own would have.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Until they merge servers or do whatever they are going to do to combat wasteland servers, OpenRaid is the greatest thing to EVER happen to wow.. it kills me it's not even their (blizz's) doing. I have accomplished so much through openraid i wanted to do - that I couldn't have done on my server.. at all. This feature/addin (i don't even know how to classify it) literally kept me playing for at least 2 more months than wow on it's own would have.
    You realize it's such a good tool because it's not Blizzard's doing right? If Blizzard tried to put their hands on something like this it would also cause a mass influx of players to use it. As it is now the people using OpenRaid are people like yourself, who have looked for a solution to solve their problems, and thus most of the people using it have the same goal in mind. When that becomes mass populated (such as trade or general chat) you lose the good aspect of most of the population wanting the same thing, thus devaluing the population as a whole because you first have to wade through and find the people that want what you want, and then find the portion of those people you actually want to include.

Only way I get to raid these days as my guild is pretty shitty and couldn't get past Horridon 10N. So I hop on Open raid and don't have to typically deal with the 3-4 fail players that we got stuck with in our 10 man group. Plus Im not forced to tank.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree, I also thought openraid was a great idea. I know you going to run into a few bad apples but you have to take it upon yourself to rate them down and try to use the tools that are there.

I posted on the official forums awhile back about the same thing http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8796662744#8

I was hoping it would get more feedback but seeing that they trying to do stuff like flex raiding maybe they did. They just trying to make it their own idea.

I remember near the end of Wrath, almost every raider in my server used the Raid Browser to pug. Then all of a sudden, when Cataclysm dropped, everyone stopped using it. I wish Blizzard revamps the Raid Browser interface to be much more intuitive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oraid is pretty much what Oqueue is now but one is an in-game addon. You will always have those people who are terrible at the game who think they deserve to see everything because that is blizzards stance now. I had a disc priest in my grp last week that wasnt using smite because "im trying to heal" and after many wipes on last tier content still wasnt using it because "i know how to play my class" with me (tank) being 2nd on healing and 3rd on dmg i left.

In short yes oraid would work in game. Its effectiveness would vary because of these kind of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes Dagon View Post
    I remember near the end of Wrath, almost every raider in my server used the Raid Browser to pug. Then all of a sudden, when Cataclysm dropped, everyone stopped using it. I wish Blizzard revamps the Raid Browser interface to be much more intuitive.

Oh wow I legit forgot that tool was even in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pocky_rin View Post
    Oh wow I legit forgot that tool was even in game.
    I wish Blizzard would put on a push to update the Raid Browser and give it some visibility as well.

Theoretically, it's a good tool and potentially will be even better with virtual realms and higher populations.

You're not alone. A lot of people either never knew it existed or have forgotten it.

EDIT: Matter of fact I might make a thread about it over on the Blizz boards.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

OpenRaid has been a God send for myself. I would love to see something implemented in-game that is similar. It was actually my prediction for the unannounced feature.
    Spike Flail - US Mal'Ganis | Currently 11/11 M | Art by ElyPop

An in-game system where players can be awarded or lose reputation by player votes would be too open to abuse and exploitation and abuse. The value in a third party service like openraid is that it can be moderated by people who want a quality system instead of people who want to game it for their own benefit.

A simple in-game LFG tool might be useful though. Say I could flag myself as looking for a group for raid X, h dungeon Y, h scenario Z, then browse the LFG UI to find other players also looking for those groups, send them messages, invites and etc.

---------- Post added 2013-06-19 at 09:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes Dagon View Post
    Forgot all about that...