Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And if they were that money goes directly to Blizzard unless they're weirdly branded as specifically movie related(and Blizzard allowed that kind of marketing).

- - - Updated - - -

No, it'll just be considered a bad movie that made money.
    50 million is pocket change... hardly worth calling it making money...

the time invested could have been used to make something actually good

Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    Isn't this just a straight out copy of one of your previous posts?
    Probably yep, when the movie had so much wrong with it it's hard not to overlap at times.

Deleted
    Yeah, I was talking specifically as it would be viewed by Hollywood(the people who make these things).
    I'm suspecting that the chinese don't really care about Hollywood, at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    And if they were that money goes directly to Blizzard unless they're weirdly branded as specifically movie related(and Blizzard allowed that kind of marketing)
    Blizzard will not see a lot of the revenue the movie ends up making.
    That's just not how that stuff works.
    Blizzard owns all copyrights and trademarks related to it's Warcraft franchise.
    In order for the movie to become reality, they basically sold the rights to Legendary (which is owned by Wanda Group, a Chinese corporation).
    Any upsales from the movie will have to go through Legendary therefore.

Blizzard is still cashing in, by chipping in some of the investment money (read: percentage on the profits relative to the investment), and by benefiting (hopefully) from a brand renewal/infusion for their gaming products, especially WOW.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Yeah, this is totally how it usually goes. Now don't we all hate ourselves for not working in the movie industry?
    I can see why they always showed the best visuals/CGI when it came to sneak peaks and trailers because the movie itself had no substance was nothing else to show.

Quote Originally Posted by Orivaa View Post
    Oh Christ, just shut up already.
    He's not wrong. The death scene of Lothar's son went into bathos mode very quickly. It was just... ugh...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    Some people actually thought the movie did WoW justice from a lore perspective?
    That's your first mistake right there.

Besides that? You gave your 5 cents review, move on and stop disrupting the thread in your opinion of the movie that we already know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    I'm suspecting that the chinese don't really care about Hollywood, at all.
    I think they do care about it.
    They haven't in the past, that much is clear. But China figured out. how a healthy dose of capitalism makes a hell of a economy.
    And a market with 1.3 billion people is doomed to rake in revenues, Hollywood can only dream of, IF the Chinese use the Hollywood model and follow the success patterns.
    Which it seems is exactly what they're doing lately.

Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post
    He's not wrong. The death scene of Lothar's son went into bathos mode very quickly. It was just... ugh...
    Much of the movie suffered the same with paper thin character syndrome, rushed plot and bad/sub-par acting. The only character that had even the slightest shits given was when Durotan died. All the rest had zero emotional investment with the audience.

Deleted
    This is just so silly I don't even know how to begin to respond.... Why are they even invested in Hollywood then? If the company they own doesn't post profits it isn't good for them, no matter how you slice it.
    Yes sorry, forgot to add "Hollywood critical tank-thinkers" (I'm dyslexic, tend to cut words). China only wants the Hollywood model for money making.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2016-06-11 at 05:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Much of the movie suffered the same with paper thin character syndrome, rushed plot and bad/sub-par acting. The only character that had even the slightest shits given was when Durotan died. All the rest had zero emotional investment with the audience.
    I am 100% convinced you went to see the wrong movie for all the wrong reasons.
    If you expected academy award quality acting you're delusional at best.
    Warcraft is a fantasy action movie. Not a cinematic art piece.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was actually a pretty good scene. Granted, the boy had very little character development, but Lothar's reaction to it all as well as the ruthlessness of Blackhand made it a pretty effective moment. The mood for the entire scene was pretty gruesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    China only wants the Hollywood model for money making.
    There's nothing wrong with that from a business perspective and in case of China for economy purpose.
    For craftsmanship and artistic purpose, Hollywood was never the top market on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I hate this method of rationalizing bad acting. I had no presumptions that I was seeing an Oscar movie. But I was paying $15 to see a $160 million dollar would-be-blockbuster, and with a budget that large they should damn well be able to afford actors who can at least deliver their lines with a sense of believability.

I am 100% convinced you went to see the wrong movie for all the wrong reasons.
    I didn't have high hopes going so in that sense i wasn't disappointed i was braced for impact. The point is they had the lore and resources available to make it a academy award winner but they choose a much lesser path. It's a movie that never came close to what 'could have been' with a sky's the limit potential they stayed 5 feet of the ground it's a shadow of what could have been. It's disheartening it could have been so much more, we all deserved a better story told with such amazing lore backdrop.

Deleted
    There's nothing wrong with that from a business perspective and in case of China for economy purpose.
    For craftsmanship and artistic purpose, Hollywood was never the top market on the planet.
    Exactly. That's why several analysts are considering Warcraft to be a game changer.

Deleted
    The point is they had the lore and resources available to make it a academy award winner but they choose a much lesser path.
    What resources? The "studios told Duncan no more CGI budget" or the 40 mins lost in the editing room? Do you even know what are you talking about?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Personally I think it is rather Hollywood discovering China as a market to make shit tons of money. Why else would Transformers 4 (yes, I hate Michael Bay even more for that shit film) make over a billion dollars and a huge chunk of that in China (by filming in China - and banking on that)?
    That's why the chinese heavily invested in Warcraft, they want to control their own market.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate this method of rationalizing bad acting. I had no presumptions that I was seeing an Oscar movie. But I was paying $15 to see a $160 million dollar would-be-blockbuster, and with a budget that large they should damn well be able to afford actors who can at least deliver their lines with a sense of believability.
    I went to see a special effects movie with top notch tech. And that I was getting in spades. For the fantasy genre it is hands down one of the top 10 movies ever made.
    If there was top acting, that would have been an extra I did not expect. I wanted to be entertained for 2 hours, and I damn well was.
    Some here, I have the impression, seen the movie for one reason only, to find every flaw there could be found.
    For fucks sake, go watch older fantasy flicks like the Conan movies, Willow, etc..
    The acting is worse than Warcraft has to offer, and still those movies are highly regarded.
    Even if we chip the SiFi genre in it.. Don't tell me either Galactica, Starwars and Star Trek had great acting. There were in each franchise maybe 1 or 2 actors that actually acted good, the rest was cringe worthy as well.
    Maybe, just maybe, people back then weren't so self absorbed assholes than people are nowadays. idk..

What resources? The "studios told Duncan no more CGI budget" or the 40 mins lost in the editing room? Do you even know what are you talking about?
    Resources - One of the best and most vast lore's in gaming history and even out side of gaming. They had all the funding in the world but chickened out to fully commit as the saying goes 'no guts no glory' This movie got even more butchered in the editing room this stuff should have been worked out long before it happened. Blizzard obviously choose the wrong studio. This whole experience and time has been like watching a pig go through a blender. No idea how the hell things got so bad.

Mistakes were made.