Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    Most of the lore is actually pretty bad, you need to just turn off your brain and remember it's just a game they aren't trying to write anything spectacular or good, just writing something to go along with the game.
    Thats on you, I think the lore is pretty good compared to most other games.

Stop stating your own opinion as a fact.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    Because she did not at the previous invasion (i.e. Warcraft 3 : Reign of Chaos) where her point of view is "do not release evil to defeat evil: no matter what, that's always going to backfire in the end". That's a perfectly valid opinion. I believe it is poorly written because it does not seem consistent with how Maiev was previously described.
    By the way, this is not a troll account, I'm just not very active on MMO-C forums.

By the story about the Gul'dan skull and the Frozen Throne campaign I've always seen his character as a megalomaniac looking for always more magic. It's less a big deal than Maiev freeing DH IMO, but still a change.
    he took the skull of guldan to power himself up to kill the dreadlord destroying felwood, yes he was looking for more power al lthe time, but he needed more power to be able to combat the legion

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    Most of the lore is actually pretty bad, you need to just turn off your brain and remember it's just a game they aren't trying to write anything spectacular or good, just writing something to go along with the game.
    its not the best, but its also not the worst, and yes it is a game, but its probebly one of (if not the best) game based lore out there
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Come on, the throne room in Stormwind is, like, the most infiltrated room in the game. When looking for new guards they probably just ask their current enemies if they have some to spare.

I dunno how you OP not understanding some pretty basic story concepts makes the lore stupid.

I mean it wasnt brilliant to begin with, but being confused about basic things when the game makes it pretty straightforward is just being dense.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    *leaving out Wrath of the Lich King as its lore was great IMO -- just about the best story they ever did.
    ugh...
    The whole point of wotlk was arthas letting you kill him and all his strongest men so he could trick you at the last second and use you as his new strongest army. But when he dies its revealed that the scourge as a whole is stronger than the players and could destroy the world... so he didnt need us how is this good writing. Its just as bad as deathwing.

No it is 100% you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DiegoBrando View Post
    As if there is anything to ''understand''. Get a grip.
    Obviously you dont understand the concept. Or would you care to explain why its "mindnumbingly stupid indeed."?

See i think you say this because you think it earns you free "cool" points. But i'm calling you out for a discussion on this.

Its fine to say "i dont like the lore, the way they are pulling it is not what i wanted to see" or something like that. But stating factually that its stupid you just gotta be able to back it up solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominus89 View Post
    Thats on you, I think the lore is pretty good compared to most other games.

Stop stating your own opinion as a fact.
    Time travel alternate universe says hello.

After WoD, there's no pretending like WoW has even basic-quality lore anymore.

Deleted
    lore/story always gets stupid over time. Even good TV shows (Dexter) turn to total crap after all good ideas have been used up.

For example Fight Club. It's amazing and we all know Fight Club 2 would be worse and Fight Club 3 even more worse. And Fight Club XII Revelation of Redemption Revengeance Reloaded would be Tyler Durden reanimated for the seventh time and is fighting Zombies in Space.

99% of tv shows/movies/games that get milked are turning bad. Looking at recent Final Fantasy games (13, 13-2), recent Resident Evil games (6, Operation Raccoon City, Umbrella Force or whatever it is called).

And by now WoW has been milked so hard we basically are consuming the toilet paper has run out version of going to toilet and having spray shit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post

Legion has the best quality of lore so far in the entire WoW run.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    To be honest there has been a lot of this going around mmo-c lately. People who simply dont know whats going on, posting threads where they complain, without actually knowing what they are talking about
    This has become a real problem to be honest, people start making threads without having put the effort to actualy research shit and actualy read up on it but instead go to MMOC and expect others to explain it to them and i big bunch of them still dont get the time travel thing.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

10+ Year Old Account
    This whole thing seems to be on you OP, it's not about you getting too old or bad lore.. YOU just don't seem to get it, and you don't seem willing to properly read either or you would.

People these days don't even bother reading anymore and just pop on a forum to bitch about something thats easily accessible ;/

So just because the lore in WoD was lackluster means that every expansion that comes afterwards will be bad when it comes to lore? lol
    You dont know how wrong you are, you're gonna realize that in Legion.

I've noticed this over time and I think a few points can explain this

1. WoWs lore was deep for its time in video games (I'm talking about Warcraft here)
    2. As time passed, the benchmark for a good story also increased in the video games market. We have had shit like the Witcher series, the Walking Dead series just to name a few. So after playing games like those, or seeing fantastically crafted TV stories, going back to a game where the villain still cackles at the end of every sentence and calls you "hero/heroes" seems shallow in comparison
    3. Its an MMO for the most part. Reading the books helps. MMO stories by themselves were never good. Even GW2, who everyone creams over as the best story in an MMO, has one of the shallowest stories i've seen.

If you want to take the lore seriously, then take everything you see in game with a massive bucket of salt. In game lore will never be cohesive or engaging on the grand scale. You can have sick storylines in individual zones, but you won't have that over arcing story when you have stuff as stupid as the Siege of Orgrimmar peace treaty, immediately followed by Vol'jin sending folks to attack the Alliance at Ashran.

Lets not pretend lore matters to the majority of players. Because of this fact, Blizzard rightfully so, says Gameplay>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lore.

Theres a few other reasons why the lore seems really wonky. Multiple authors, chris metzen changing his mind based on crowd reaction, rather than sticking to the story to make it cohesive.

Deleted

Welcome to ignore

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    This has become a real problem to be honest, people start making threads without having put the effort to actualy research shit and actualy read up on it but instead go to MMOC and expect others to explain it to them and i big bunch of them still dont get the time travel thing.
    My new thing is that i just ignore them instead. It solves the issue that most of them dont WANT to understand, they just want to whine

Deleted
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreche View Post
    ugh...
    The whole point of wotlk was arthas letting you kill him and all his strongest men so he could trick you at the last second and use you as his new strongest army. But when he dies its revealed that the scourge as a whole is stronger than the players and could destroy the world... so he didnt need us how is this good writing. Its just as bad as deathwing.
    That's simplifying it quite a bit, and missing the big picture in my opinion. It's not that the Scourge is stronger than the players, it's that without a Lich King it would be out of control. A lot of the undead are mindless and feral. What he wanted wasn't a swarm of locust, it was an army.

The Lich King's biggest threat wasn't the players, it was still the Legion. They created him, when Kil'jaeden trapped Ner'zhul's soul in a chunk of ice and sent him to Icecrown. Ner'zhul served the Legion as his powers grew, until he was strong enough to manipulate Arthas into making his way to Northrend. With their forces combined they were able to go rogue. The Lich King has faced off against the Legion on multiple occasions, and he knew they'd be back eventually.

A swarm of mindless undead might work wonders to wipe out a city full of harmless humans, but it's not exactly all that effective against an army of demons. All of the best heroes and champions Azeroth had to offer fighting under his will, however, that's a pretty lethal weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    I know you are trying to be sarcastic and cool. But like..... Why would she not free them?

Azeroth is about to go down in flames. The entire world. Ofcourse you would do anything to save it? Like??? cmon dude

"its poorly written". Fuck logic. I dont like this thing? Its bad writing.

Nice troll account
    In WC3, Maiev screws over Mal'Furion to capture Illidan. She doesn't give a shit about anything but capturing/killing demons.

AKA, all Demons were evil, even half-demons that claimed they are good guys.

In her perspective, releasing the DHs would only exacerbate the Legion problem.

Nah just you didnt press atention to the story like many people in this forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just you having a negative outlook on things.