Poll: Do you read quest text?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I play this game for the stories..not just the main quest line. If you want your game to be immersive it has to feel like the world is alive and that there is a reason behind what you are doing. Side quests/missions are as important to this as the main quest/mission.

I feel that if a random dwarf in the middle of the woods has a bright yellow ! above his head that there needs to be a reason for him being there and a explination to go with it. If I click on that dwarf and all I get is a quest title with kill X ammount of bears then to me, that breaks the immersion that could have otherwise been created by haveing a small/brief chat then being directed to go complete the objective.

On topic, I always read the quests, the game was made to allow me to experience a different world, to have a bit of escapism. It is not much of a RPG or escape if the game just force feeds you objectives with no rhyme or reason outside of the story quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading quest text demands investment, and at the end of the day all I need to know is vaguely why im killing X number of Y for their Z
    Wrath baby and proud of it

The first character of the expansion I just rush, but on my second play through I read all quests. Then I have it memorised and I know why I'm doing the quests

10+ Year Old Account
    I learn a surprising amount from the context of the quest, I try to level as fast as I can in an attempt to make it more interesting.
    Everyone on the internet is a dishonest actor.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, I find questing rather painful and like to get it over and done with as soon as possible hah.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, endgame is the real game and questing to level cap is a barrier in my way and I want to pass it as fast as possible.

I can't remember I single time when I've ever stopped to read it.

Reasons why I play this game:

Dueling.
    Dungeons.
    Questing.
    Battlegrounds.

And among those things I will focus on everything they entail including reading when it's necessary be it quest text or online information.

Of course if the questline/story involving the quest is utter shit I'm probably not going to keep reading it.

I also only have 3 max level characters and they followed as different questing routes as possible so that's another consideration. I'd also argue the vast majority of the WoW playerbase isn't swimming in alts or doing nothing but raiding end game like MMO-champion has made it seem since 2007.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2014-04-17 at 06:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I chose "yes always" then noticed the second option. Assumed always just meant the first time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a follower of lore, I will read it on my main while I am questing. Not so much for an alt, though. If I have forgotten something I may just visit wowpedia to read the quest text.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Yes, but I'm a lore nerd. I only skip quest text on repeatable stuff like daily quests after I've done them the first time.

I often get left behind by friends when I'm questing with them because they're all the "GOGOGOGOGOGO" types who skip quest text and haul ass to the objectives. I also tend to stick around in a zone and complete all the quests instead of just moving on when I level. In Cataclysm, I was still questing in Hyjal after I hit 81 because I wanted to finish out the quest chain/story there.

I typically quest alone the first time in new expansions because friends get impatient waiting for me.

Deleted
    I like lore so I read it on my first play through every expansion. Also i like to complete every zone in the expansion fully before moving on, its quite profitable and good to learn the story.

However when it comes time to level my alts I often just skip it and carry on as fast as possible.

On my first playthrough of a zone I read everything, explore and generally immerse myself in it. On following playthroughs I just power through unless I'm taking an alternate path and doing questlines I didn't do before.