Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by odylong View Post
    Ok , so I always hear alot of people say : "Wow looks like shit , look at the graphics .. they're soo bad"

This also applies to games like : hearthstone , Wildstar , Bioshock Infinite, ...

The graphics don't look bad at all to me... People need to understand the difference between 'graphic quality' and 'art style'. These games aren't designed to look realistic , they're designed to be quircky and lush, and from what I've seen these games seem to establish themselves really well. Saying they look like shit makes me cringe...

You perfectionists need to understand that not all games need to be like Crysis and looks super foto-realistic... so learn to appreciate alternative design.

And btw... I'd pick a game with an original design over your average 'realistic' shooter anyday !

That's my rant on the matter... kthx
    Art style, and age has to be taken into consideration, too. When WoW was first created, people could not get that close to realism with the models anyhow, at least not without sacrificing it's playability with the computer technology at the time. The art style works with the model style. Very real looking things are impressive, but it's not necessary for everything to be that way.

In a way it's like what people say about playing a human in a game full of other races, "why play a human when I am one, it's boring." Well, why play a game that looks like the/a real world when you live in one. :P

Realistic graphics often feel really choppy when animated to the extent they need to be for an MMO. The cartooniness of WoW works for it and the animations are some of the most smooth and fluid of any game on the market.

Look at games like SWTOR and Rift for example. They tried to have better graphics but the models feel clumsy and choppy when moving. Would rather games put more into making a good game and having smooth visuals than gun for "best graphics in our market!"

One of the reasons why I liked Wildstar. Less put into making great graphics and more into making the models move and feel alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsurugix00 View Post
    I would pay extra just to see WoW's night time like this.

http://i.imgur.com/0HNHeuA.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/4ifudc.jpg

Atleast just darker nights, dark enough to actually see some light shine. I've always felt like its always morning in WoW kinda ruins the mood...
    Oh god that would be baaaaaad. Gameplay before looks...

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    Oh god that would be baaaaaad. Gameplay before looks...
    What's wrong with WoW's gameplay? I've played this game for almost 10 years now and I'm pretty sure WoW's gameplay is alot smoother than any other MMO's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by toomes211 View Post
    Of course, some of the wow models are dated, but they're updating them and they look fantastic.
    Funny thing is.. the new WoW models look on par in graphics to Wildstar's models. Whoops.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsurugix00 View Post
    What's wrong with WoW's gameplay? I've played this game for almost 10 years now and I'm pretty sure WoW's gameplay is alot smoother than any other MMO's out there.
    He's implying the game being that dark would be bad (I think).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by odylong View Post
    People need to understand the difference between 'graphic quality' and 'art style'.
    The people that don't understand the difference are most likely not even playing any of those games. Ignore them and let them enjoy their CoD and Madden and Fifa.

It's frustrating, but it's an opinion that's based in fact, just articulated poorly. Like when people say download to represent copy, install, transfer files etc.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    While this is a bit old now I think it might be relevant to this discussion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU

I personally love WoW art style, especially when it comes to environments. Some of the most beautiful places I have seen in games come from WoW.

The graphics in WoW do suck. But i never judge a game by its graphics, it's the gameplay that makes the game good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Conqueror View Post
    It's not the artstyle that is horrendous, it's the low polygon models and ridiculously outdated lighting engine.

Compare WoW graphics with this:

http://i.imgur.com/fvjpAXC.jpg

Pay special attention to how detailed the lighting effects are. Yes, it's extremely nice to have your eyes caressed with beauty regularly while you're playing.
    Realistic lighting doesn't serve WoW's graphics style. Nor is it worth their time to spend so much development time updating such a minor thing.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    I prefer cartoon looking games by far (usually) Most of the time, including WoW, cartoonish graphics age a lot better than games that try to look too realistic. Realistic looking games are always looking outdated after a couple of years whereas cartoonish graphics will always look like just that, a cartoon and look fresh for much much longer.

I didn't read whole thread, so if someone else said something similar to this, my apologies.

I always get a good kick out of

playerbase: "Is that seriously what the new tier set looks like? Are you joking blizz??"
    blizz: "well, art is subjective

I mean, have you seen the hunter t16 set? what were they thinking
    /rant

I know many people who are -unable- to play WoW because the graphics remind them of N64 polygons.
    And? The game's from 2004, it isn't gonna look nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the way WoW looks. Hell, I still play old 8bit and 16it games because I loved and enjoyed the story of them. I don't mind shiny graphics, but over the years it's like thats the main focus of a game release now. Give me story and fun with graphics that are nice and I'm a happy gamer.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the artstyle that is horrendous, it's the low polygon models and ridiculously outdated lighting engine.

Compare WoW graphics with this:

http://i.imgur.com/fvjpAXC.jpg

Pay special attention to how detailed the lighting effects are. Yes, it's extremely nice to have your eyes caressed with beauty regularly while you're playing.
    Can you imagine being in a raid with thousands of spell effects going off per minute and all of them having lighting effects as detailed as that picture? Most of the current playerbase probably wouldn't even be able to play due to their PCs not being up to snuff. Hell, even Throne of Thunder hurt my eyes because of all the lightning going off everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    You rant on how people aren't able to see the differences between art style and graphics and yet you don't know the differences either? Good way to make your point come across.

In any case, I like the art style, but I dislike the graphics WoW has. The lowres textures and low amount of polygons make me cringe. I much prefer Wildstar's approach and I wish Blizzard would crank up the polygons and details as well. Especially the armor and environments could use an update if you ask me.
    Agreed on this one, details are really horrible and good game art style.

It's tha same Graphics as say GW2 or something like that.. It's just a differnt art style.. It's no worse & no better. Same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    What I've noticed is that, the more 'realistic' the art style of the game, the shittier the game feels in combat and when moving. Which is why I prefer the standard 'cheap' cartoon style.
    The uncanny valley in effect! It is something that WoW manages to avoid entirely, largely due to the art style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hence why nintendo wii won the console war against playstation and xbox,graphics and no gameplay is far worse than gameplay and no graphics.

I have always said i prefer the original 1st tomb raiders graphics compared to its later iterations.

Deleted
    it's okay especilly if you see what they're going for with the engine in wod (new models, buildings, terrain etc).
    but i do agree it's getting a tad old. 10 years is not nothing and i'm seriously impressed with that and most likely the future of it.
    mop was butt ugly though