Any else notice the new Dye icons?

Todays update showed a new batch of icons in WOD. I noticed those little bottles with armor pictures on them. The tooltips says leatherworkingdye etc. Any chance we'll be dyeing gear?

I know dye exists in the game already as just a low level crafting mat, but maybe there is a more direct reason its back.

Based on how blizzard has been reusing gear simply by recoloring it, I don't think it would work well anymore.
    Unless they just stopped doing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they keep up with "every difficulty has a different shaped set" meme that it seems that they're going for, dyes would make sense. They would also make sense if they intentionally made all new armor at least two tone or more, while dyes make it primarily one color. This would ensure that undyed armor still looks unique and dyes can't simply create a look you haven't "earned"

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Based on how blizzard has been reusing gear simply by recoloring it, I don't think it would work well anymore.
    Unless they just stopped doing that.
    Dunno about that, especially with the move towards mythic being an entirely different shape.

Anyway they can just make current tier un-dyeable, or gate the acquisition of dyes somehow, etc.

COULD be done, just remains to see if it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    If they keep up with "every difficulty has a different shaped set" meme that it seems that they're going for, dyes would make sense. They would also make sense if they intentionally made all new armor at least two tone or more, while dyes make it primarily one color. This would ensure that undyed armor still looks unique and dyes can't simply create a look you haven't "earned"
    Yeah.

Though i don't think they are going for that.

Maybe it's just for gear you craft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard, always a few years behind other mmos.
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    Blizzard, always a few years behind other mmos.
    Or even sadly their own game (D3)

Think it will be used as dyes is used now, but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Fungj View Post
    Think it will be used as dyes is used now, but we will see.
    With the exception of Inscription dye, they haven't been used since Vanilla. I would think they wouldn't go thru all of the trouble to add them back if it was just another trash ingredient to a crafted item. They have been sorta moving away from multiple mats for a while now. Even the Sky Golem only had 2 different materials unlike previous engineering mounts where the items you needed somewhat represented the parts required (bolts, engine parts, etc). After seeing some of the recent changes though - nothing surprises me.

Looks like the latest data mining adds a few more dyes, this time labeled as cloak dyes (example).

Seems to point towards some type of gear dye system. Don't know if cloaks are a test item or if it will be limited solely to cloaks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispersedshadow View Post
    Looks like the latest data mining adds a few more dyes, this time labeled as cloak dyes (example).

Seems to point towards some type of gear dye system. Don't know if cloaks are a test item or if it will be limited solely to cloaks.
    I use a cloak on only 1 of my transmogs, cause it's usually impossible to find a decent cloak that matches your gear. If we get dyes to colour them that might change.

The dyes are used as reagents for Tailors/Leatherworkers/Blacksmiths to upgrade the item level of their crafted items. Assumably the colour will change when you do this, to another of the preset colours.

The latest build added the tooltip for crafting it:

Expert Hexweave Dye
    3 sec cast
    Upgrades item level 640 Tailoring armor to 655.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2014-07-10 at 11:58 AM.